Cigar recommendations

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Having recently visited the Dominican Republic, I found myself smoking a bunch of cigars there. I never thought I would like them much as I've tried cigars in the past but thought "no big deal" about them. However, we had a lot of friends there smoking the Cohiba brand cigars and after a few nights of smoking them I really liked them. They were given to me by friends up there, but I did buy one Cohiba for $10 at the resort and took it home with me in case I wanted to get more. I took that Cohiba to a local cigar shop the other day and they wanted $28 for the same cigar. I thought it may be more expensive because they are made there but almost 3x as much, WTF. I will probably get a few boxes of these if I go back. Anyway, was wondering if anybody had any knowledge or recommendations on similar brands? I have heard Montechristos and Rocky Patels are good too.

kneifl

3 putt pete

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 10, 2015
Having recently visited the Dominican Republic, I found myself smoking a bunch of cigars there. I never thought I would like them much as I've tried cigars in the past but thought "no big deal" about them. However, we had a lot of friends there smoking the Cohiba brand cigars and after a few nights of smoking them I really liked them. They were given to me by friends up there, but I did buy one Cohiba for $10 at the resort and took it home with me in case I wanted to get more. I took that Cohiba to a local cigar shop the other day and they wanted $28 for the same cigar. I thought it may be more expensive because they are made there but almost 3x as much, WTF. I will probably get a few boxes of these if I go back. Anyway, was wondering if anybody had any knowledge or recommendations on similar brands? I have heard Montechristos and Rocky Patels are good too.

kneifl

You certainly don't need to shell out $10 or $20 a stick to find a great tasting cigar. From time to time I've smoked Cohiba, God of Fire, Fuente Opus X , Diamond Crown and Padrons and almost without exception have came away disappointed in that they were not worth the extra cheese I shelled out.

There are some great sticks out there in the $5 to $& range. A few brands to consider in no particular order....

Man O War (Ruination, Armada)
Oliva ( Serie V, Serie O and G also)
Ramon Bueso Genesis
San Lotano ( Oval, Maduro)
H Upmann (1844, Media Noche)

I could go on and on......

I find any of the above to be as tasty or better than the higher priced stuff. I think that many people are more concerned with the status associated with the label than they are with the actual flavor of their smoke.

That sounds a little like somebody I know here.......:facepalm:

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
You certainly don't need to shell out $10 or $20 a stick to find a great tasting cigar. From time to time I've smoked Cohiba, God of Fire, Fuente Opus X , Diamond Crown and Padrons and almost without exception have came away disappointed in that they were not worth the extra cheese I shelled out.

There are some great sticks out there in the $5 to $& range. A few brands to consider in no particular order....

Man O War (Ruination, Armada)
Oliva ( Serie V, Serie O and G also)
Ramon Bueso Genesis
San Lotano ( Oval, Maduro)
H Upmann (1844, Media Noche)

I could go on and on......

I find any of the above to be as tasty or better than the higher priced stuff. I think that many people are more concerned with the status associated with the label than they are with the actual flavor of their smoke.

That sounds a little like somebody I know here.......:facepalm:

Thanks for the info and the advice on the sticks. I have no idea about the names/brands and what all goes with it. I really don't care how much they cost and don't care about "status" either, I just want the smoke to be good. Thanks for the list, I'll try those out :)

kneifl

Woodson

L I V I N
Forum Member
Oct 23, 1999
Blockchain
Certainly one of the worst ways to purchase cigars is by price.

What are your preference in flavor? Mild medium heavy bodied? Lighter wrap? Dark wrapped?

Do you like spicey heat, pepper, or a deep oak taste? How long are do you smoke? 10 minutes? And hour? this helps define length and gauge.

You can get into cigars at a very low cost. A box of Oliva Serie V runs about 125 for 25 robustos and is a great smoke.

The key is to find your preference not price range.

Add in aging. I have a 3000 cigar humidor. There are boxes aged several years. It's no different than wine really.

Again, preference.

San Cristobal
Pete Jackson
My Father
Davidson
Fuente

The list goes on and on..

As a Cuban aficionado, it's not Cohiba and Montecristo that beings a good cigar. They bring a great marketing team.

Best of luck on your journey.

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Wow, lots of good recommendations. As I mentioned, I really liked the Cohibas. If I were to guess, I would probably like a medium flavor with oak taste.

Had no idea you could age them? I thought they may go bad after a certain amount of time. I do have a humidor that was given to me as a gift for being a groomsman at a wedding and it's a nice one that holds about 50. I definitely don't plan on buying by price, I know that's mentioned a few times.

I probably won't smoke them unless I'm with a group of people and will probably give a few away to friends. Therefore, I'll stick to the basics for now and buy less than 50. In time, if I find some I like better than others I'll be partial to those. Thanks again!!!

kneifl

The Boys

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 17, 2001
Royal Oak, Michigan, a Detroit Suburb
Wow, lots of good recommendations. As I mentioned, I really liked the Cohibas. If I were to guess, I would probably like a medium flavor with oak taste.

Had no idea you could age them? I thought they may go bad after a certain amount of time. I do have a humidor that was given to me as a gift for being a groomsman at a wedding and it's a nice one that holds about 50. I definitely don't plan on buying by price, I know that's mentioned a few times.

I probably won't smoke them unless I'm with a group of people and will probably give a few away to friends. Therefore, I'll stick to the basics for now and buy less than 50. In time, if I find some I like better than others I'll be partial to those. Thanks again!!!

kneifl

Be sure to prepare the humidor properly before you use it.

Woodson

L I V I N
Forum Member
Oct 23, 1999
Blockchain

kneifl
Get a couple brevida humidor packs 68-72. It will keep your sticks nicely. They run a buck or two.

Enjoy.

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Woody....

Woody....

Since you seem to know a lot about it, I have a question for you. I have smoked a few different kinds of the cigars in my lifetime. I recently bought a sampler pack for about $20 and it came with short and long ones (haven't smoked any of them yet). I have a pretty good idea now about what types of the long ones are good from this thread and the guy at the cigar shop. However, do you have any favorites that come in a shorter size? Thanks in advance.

kneifl

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
The Boys video #2

The Boys video #2

The Boys sent me a video to post. Here you are:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wKAaXuzMRmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kneifl

Woodson

L I V I N
Forum Member
Oct 23, 1999
Blockchain
Since you seem to know a lot about it, I have a question for you. I have smoked a few different kinds of the cigars in my lifetime. I recently bought a sampler pack for about $20 and it came with short and long ones (haven't smoked any of them yet). I have a pretty good idea now about what types of the long ones are good from this thread and the guy at the cigar shop. However, do you have any favorites that come in a shorter size? Thanks in advance.

kneifl
I prefer a Fuente or Pepin. There are so many shorts that are great. Remember some enthusiasts don't have 45 minutes to enjoy and would prefer a morning cigar with coffee.

Look up Fuente and Pepin Garcia on wiki.

Their family stories alone are an enjoyable read. 10 years back I walked in to a Miami cigar shop and the legend himself sat, rolling a Pepin cigar.

Pete Jackson took Pepin and branded it to today's society.

Remember, it's not just the size; gauge or length but the tobacco and wrapper.

If you keep with it I'll send you a few prime aged smokes. Hell, I've given more away than I've smoked. A lot to members here over the years.

That's the beauty of cigars... they are enjoyed with conversation.

[emoji106]

vinnie

la vita ? buona
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2000
Here
i-dont-always-smoke-cigars-but-when-i-do-i-smoke-perna-premium-cigars-with-al-and-adrianwith-al-and-adrian.jpg

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
I prefer a Fuente or Pepin. There are so many shorts that are great. Remember some enthusiasts don't have 45 minutes to enjoy and would prefer a morning cigar with coffee.

Look up Fuente and Pepin Garcia on wiki.

Their family stories alone are an enjoyable read. 10 years back I walked in to a Miami cigar shop and the legend himself sat, rolling a Pepin cigar.

Pete Jackson took Pepin and branded it to today's society.

Remember, it's not just the size; gauge or length but the tobacco and wrapper.

If you keep with it I'll send you a few prime aged smokes. Hell, I've given more away than I've smoked. A lot to members here over the years.

That's the beauty of cigars... they are enjoyed with conversation.

[emoji106]

Very cool Woody,

I will definitely look that up. Great info as well. That's definitely a nice gesture of you with the cigars. I have been to the DR twice now, once to Punta Cana and once to Samana. If I make another trip, which I probably will I'll pick you some up and send them to you. I notice the prices tend to be much different there than the US.

Cheers,

kneifl

Bet on MyBookie