Closer

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

doveshack

Forum Member
Dec 6, 2001
www.winecraftcabinet.com
Does it drive anyone else crazy when a manager does not bring in his closer in a tie game in the 8th, 9th, or Extra Innings, and they end up losing with the closer on the bench?

:mad:

Easywind

Forum Member
Oct 22, 2002
amongst other things

amongst other things

Dove,

I totally agree. There are several reasons why this may happen throughout the course of the regular season, i.e. giving his arm extra rest, getting other guys work, etc.....But, in the post season, let alone the friggin' Fall Classic, there is absolutely no excuse.

While the abilities (strength, agility, speed) of the players have increased over the past 20 years, I see an equal but opposite change in the mental aspects of the game. In the field, at the plate, on the basepaths, and often times directly from the dugout. It really makes me sick to see this tradeoff.

I guess I'm a fan of old school baseball, and not this "extreme" Earl Weaver game of "sit back and wait for the fireworks." In Earl's day, he did a lot more waiting than we do now.

:shrug: What gives? :shrug:

doveshack

Forum Member
Dec 6, 2001
www.winecraftcabinet.com
Easy,

I couldn't agree more. They say it is a game of statistics, and in a 162-game season you may see the numbers play out, but in a 7-game series, you have to go for the jugular and use your best bullpen pitcher when you are faced with the greatest threat (i.e. bring in Nen to face Salmon in the bottom of the 8th with two out in a tie game in the second game of the world series when you lead the sereis 1-0)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ferdville

Forum Member
Dec 24, 1999
So Cal
doveshack - you are correct. Baker could have done that and probably should have - certainly in hindsight. I couldn't agree with your theory more. It is a 7 game series - not a 162 game season. This is a sprint and not a marathon. They will all have plenty of time to rest when the series is over. Thanks for clarifying your point - it was well taken and I agree.