College Ball Week 4

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
YTD Record: 6-8 for -5.9 units

Bad start of the season was curbed last week a bit. Looking for these to get me into the black:

Nebraska/ULL Under 54 for 6 units ? Nebraska?s QB is a little banged up but will play. However, considering that and the conference opener with Mizzou a week and a half away, I look for Nebraska to be pretty vanilla on offense. Nebraska will be content to be run heavy, win by 20-some points and get out of there with a victory and be healthy for the start of conference play. Helping the cause is that the Cajun?s D has been decent so far this year as they held LSU to 330 total yards a week ago. Nebraska?s D should be pretty motivated after the late collapse against VaTech. They have played well allowing less than 10 points per game, but the coaches have labeled their play so far as ?soft? and passive. There?s some extra motivation.

Ohio +24.5 for 3 units ? Lane Kiffin was excused of playing ultra-conservative to just keep the game against Florida close and avoid a blow out. True or not, that is the blueprint Frank Solich will be following this weekend as the Bobcats take on the Vols. Kiffin will likely look to get Crompton comfortable with the offense, but that actually helps Ohio as their pass D is much better than their run D.

Temple -3.5 for 3 units ? if people haven?t realized it already, this will be the game where they figure out that Buffalo is no where near the team it was last year. Temple had a handful of near misses last year including their game against Buffalo. They look to get their first W of the season against a very porous Buffalo D. Buffalo?s offense isn?t as potent without Starks in as their RB, and I foresee them to continue to struggle to score.

Pitt Pick for 2 units ? one of three Big East/ACC tilts this weekend. Pitt and outstanding frosh RB Dion Lewis have motored along quite nicely under the radar so far. A road win here will help get them some attention as NC State is in for a wake up call after two cake walk victories. QB Russell Wilson had issues in the opener against S. Carolina?s good D. Pitt?s D isn?t as good as the Gamecocks but will give Wilson enough trouble Saturday.

Penn St. -9.5 for 2 units ? Penn State has played well but not completely blown out anyone. On the stat sheet they have completely dominated, yet not piled on a ton of points or covered yet this year. Have this feeling that a revenge game against Iowa will help them keep rolling right along. Iowa typically plays them close but I just don?t think it will be this time around. Iowa?s ground game is good but no where near where it was a year ago. Penn State will be able to easily bottle their running attack up and dare Stanzi to beat them in the air.

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
Good luck Poon.

Especially like your Penn St. play.

Thanks man. Hope things have been well for you.

Penn State would have been a bit larger of a play, but I actually took them before the season starts for this game at -7.

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Add Nate Stupar to the list of injured Penn State linebackers

Penn State's injury situation at linebacker may be getting worse, rather than improving.

Head coach Joe Paterno all but ruled out Sean Lee for the fifth-ranked Nittany Lions' Big Ten contest with 3-0 Iowa Saturday night at Beaver Stadium.

And now linebacker Nate Stupar's status for the game is in question.

Lee, an outside linebacker who leads 3-0 PSU in tackles, sprained his left knee in the Lions' 31-6 win over Temple last week.

The good news? Navorro Bowman, PSU's other talented outside linebacker, is expected to return after missing the last two games with a right groin injury.

"Sean Lee is very doubtful,'' Paterno said on his radio show tonight.

"Bowman will play. He's practiced and he looks good. I think he'll be fine.''

But then Paterno added: "Stupar sprained an ankle and he may not make it. That's up for grabs right now.''

Stupar replaced Bowman in the lineup when Bowman left the season-opening victory over Akron in the first quarter. He's started the last two games and has 22 tackles, a sack and an interception.

So, assuming Bowman plays and Lee and Stupar do not, PSU would likely start Bowman and Bani Gbadyu at the outside linebacker spots with senior Josh Hull in the middle.

TEs A BIGGER FACTOR: No team in the Big Ten has a better pair of tight ends than Penn State. Seniors Mickey Shuler Jr. and Andrew Quarless are often on the field at the same time in two tight-end sets and have provided quarterback Daryll Clark with hard-to-miss targets in the passing game. Shuler is 6-4, 250 and Quarless is listed at 6-5, 250./p
Shuler, who had one touchdown catch last season, has caught a TD pass in the last two games and Quarless has eight catches for 92 yards. He had 11 catches total in 2008.

"Whenever you can throw to a tight end, it opens up everything,'' said Shuler, who was able to shake off flu-like symptoms to play in the Lions' 31-6 win over Temple.

Shuler said the presence of the tight ends creates a little more room for wideouts Graham Zug and Chaz Powell "and it opens up the running game.''

He added: "It's hard for teams to cover all those people.''

WARE STILL HURTING: PSU defensive line coach Larry Johnson Sr. likes to use four tackles during the course of a game but the Lions have been using just one primary backup to starters Jared Odrick and Ollie Ogbu ? Devon Still.

The healthy return of redshirt freshman Brandon Ware could change that but Odrick said this week the former Harrisburg High standout is still wearing a boot on his broken right foot./p
Ware suffered the injury while warming up for a practice prior to the Lions' season-opening 31-7 win over Akron.

It was expected he would miss a minimum of a month.

"Hopefully, he can be back sometime this season,'' Odrick said of Ware.

"I wouldn't want him to rush it and hurt himself again.''

FERENTZ STILL VAGUE ON BULAGA: Iowa standout tackle Bryan Bulaga has an undisclosed illness that has kept him out of the Hawkeyes' last two games and will likely prevent him from playing against PSU./p
Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz refuses to specify what is ailing Bulaga said it wasn't serious.

"For the record, he doesn't have an infected tattoo," Ferentz told Iowa City's Press-Citizen, shooting down a rumor that had been circulating about Bulaga.

"He doesn't have an infected tattoo, his life's not at risk, I think I made that point pretty clear the first time. This is just something that's got to pass.

"Believe me, if he had a debilitating injury, we'd share it with you if his career was in danger,'' Ferentz added. "More importantly, if his life was in danger ... then I'd say something. It's really not that dramatic.''

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Good stuff, Poon

UL-L is w/ o their starting C this week. Tough emotional spot for the huskers off of a hearbreaking defeat with a serious revenge game on deck. I lean to UL-L and under in this one.

I like Ohio as well and may add.

Bet on MyBookie