College Hoops

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

BOBBYW

Forum Member
Jul 19, 1999
HENDERSON, NV
WELCOME BALLIN45

WHEN DOES THE SEASON START? ANYONE KNOW. I THOUGHT IT WAS IMMEDIATELY AFTER MIDNIGHT MADNESS.

------------------

NJO

Forum Member
Apr 24, 2001
Milwaukee, WI
I am a Wisconsin season ticket holder, and their season starts on Sat, November 17 at UNLV.

My guess is the first games go the first part of next week.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SingleMalt

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2001
Cleveland, Ohio
Season starts this Thursday...

Temple vs Florida - 6:30 EST
Arizona vs Maryland - 9:00 EST

Looking forward to this season.

GL to All

Rama

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2000
In regards to Wiscy, definetly a team to fade,

Madison - Bo Ryan's worst fears were confirmed over the weekend.

University of Wisconsin freshman Andreas Helmigk, a 6-foot-9 forward, will miss the basketball season because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Surgery is scheduled for late November.

"It's unfortunate news. It's injury news. It's what every program goes through," Ryan, the coach, said Monday. "Sometimes it happens to people right in the middle of the year, sometimes it happens at the beginning of year or the end of the year."

Helmigk's injury marks the third medical-related loss of a Badgers player in the last two months. Sophomore forward Julian Swartz left the team in mid-September to treat his obsessive-compulsive disorder. Two weeks later, it was learned that freshman guard Latrell Fleming suffers from a heart condition that will prevent him from ever playing.

Before that run of injuries, the last Badger to miss significant time because of injury was Ty Calderwood, who missed most of the 1997-'98 season with tendinitis in his left knee.

Helmigk suffered his injury Thursday in practice when he came down after trying to catch a teammate's pass. The native of Klagenfurt, Austria, fell to the floor and screamed in pain.

The next day he was given a magnetic resonance imaging exam. A team doctor confirmed the results Saturday.

Ryan saw the knee buckle and immediately thought the injury was serious.

"We thought that something happened out of the ordinary and I guess your first instincts are usually the ones you go with," he said. "Hopefully, again, we can turn a negative into a positive."

Ryan will treat this year as a redshirt season for Helmigk but will have to appeal for a fifth year of eligibility because of the NCAA's age limit rule. Helmigk, who spent time in the military, will be 22 in December.

"We do plan on appealing a fourth year because it was appealed in the past on an international student because he was in the military," Ryan said. "If someone is in the military here in the United States, (the age rule) doesn't affect them."

Without Helmigk, Wisconsin has just eight healthy scholarship players, five short of the NCAA limit, and three players taller than 6-8.

Helmigk missed practice time last month with a bacterial infection in his foot but showed a knack for rebounding and staying active around the basket.

Ryan said he and his staff thought Helmigk had his best practice Wednesday. It turned out to be his last complete workout with the team this season.

Without Helmigk, Ryan is one man short of what he likes to use in his rotation of big men.

Charlie Wills, a 6-8 senior, and 6-11 sophomore Dave Mader are listed to start Wisconsin's exhibition opener at 7 Saturday against EA Sports at the Kohl Center. Mike Wilkinson, a 6-8 redshirt freshman, will play significantly, too.

"A four-man rotation for two spots just went to a three-man rotation for two spots," Ryan said. "Some guys are going to get into foul trouble. Some guys match up better against the four or fives from other teams. When you have four to choose from, it's a little bit better than having three. And I don't think we want to get down to two."

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Nov. 6, 2001.

NJO

Forum Member
Apr 24, 2001
Milwaukee, WI
About Wisconsin, I would agree that fading them early is probably wise.

But, if they can stay healthy, it will be a team that tries hard night in and night out, so I expect them to reverse their course ATS-wise during the year.

The line will more than catch up to them, and teams will look past them.

Early on, though, it will be a team really struggling to find itself, with a new coach, heavy roster turnover, and no depth.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg