Colorado ends it today

Forum Member
There is NO WAY Colorado want to return to St-Louis. They are a tired team and have played so many OT that i doubt they will take the Blues slightly today. They wrap it up today to rest before playing Jersey.

Playing Colorado -140 BIG!
biggrin.gif

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
Actually, at the time of 1837's post I think it was today (was, is?) in the western atlantic ocean. Just a thought (see what university has done to me...I feel like Vincent Price caught in the spider's web at the end of the original The Fly......
"Help me...Help meeee...")

But I digress (a good universanity word, aye dudes?...

I've gotta agree wich ya, 1837...
The Av's looked primed to grab a few days off before being McPummelled by the Devils (unless Roy keeps eating his Super-Wheaties).
I said this coming into this series: Turek sucks. I stand by this now. The Av's are only slightly better at home then on the road (goals for vs goals against) but the Blues are much worse on the road for this same differential. The Av's lose tonight and it very well could go 7. They cannot afford that with the Devils about to end the Super-Mario show.
Av's look real good at -140.
I'm on it, I just don't know how big yet...
I just spent the last two days (my first two since my final final exam) recovering the money that I lost on the previous four days (my first four-game losing streak of the baseball season and my last four stressful days of final exams...gee, think there's a connection...think I mighta been smart to take these days off from handicapping...)

I guess that there's an outside chance that Johnson plays net for St. Lou, but he's been riding the pine too long, and hasn't been in a game situation since...
since when? at least since the Sharks series.

I'll think about an over, too, if I can get 4.5.
Last I saw it was 5. Probably the money is better going on the win, anyway, as -140 is a good # for this one at home:
that's 58 1/3 % that the 'Lance take it, so if you figure that the Av's have closer to a 65-70% chance of winning this game (as I do) then we have McValue.

Should be a good final.
Going to be the teams that are supposed to be there.
Good X to you and all your descendants!
Extrapolater

[This message has been edited by EXTRAPOLATER (edited 05-21-2001).]

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
Hey Extrapolator - hope everything has gone well for you lately
smile.gif

But here my brain is all messed up again!!
confused.gif
Note that it's quite easy to mess my brain up these days... Too much of good things I guess.. Are you talking about that "date change" line in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? You know that line between the Tonga Islands and the Samoa Islands (2 places that I must visit before I die btw)? Maybe you just wrote "Atlantic" thinking of "Pacific" too.. Anyways... just trying to understand the whole thing. Correct me if I'm wrong - I just hate it when I think I know what I don't know.

Here I don't think that the Avs have that much chances to win the game (65-70%)...Closer to 60-65% IMHO. Well I use 2 systems to cap games (one being more sophisticated than the other), and the "simple" one gives me Colorado 66% (mmmh...) and the other one gives me Colorado 60.0% (mmmh mmmh...) I hate it when there's that much disparity between the 2 systems but I usually just take about 2X the "sophisticated" system and 1X the simple one when it occurs... and I usually use the worst of both % when looking for values so that way I minimize the risks. Note that my "ballz" whether accept or reject the betting possibility at the end. It's always good to listen to your primary feelings. So here I'd have about 62% for Colorado to win the game, and a "don't bet" situation if the line is over 60% (i.e. -150 or less). I was hoping to see something like Colorado -110 (again) but it looks like it won't happen this time. At -140 I'll just pass as I figure out that the r/r% isn't high enough. But if there's a value (here we seem to have a small one on Colorado), it is certainly not on St-Louis so I think you have the right side..

Like you said Extrapolator, Turek is not that good, especially in the playoffs. The guy doesn't seem to handle the pressure in the same great way as Patrick Roy. Roy over Turek any time.. especially in the playoffs. The Avs are playing all-defense hockey and Roy is used to it (remember the years in Montreal). He faces many shots but not necessarily difficult ones.

Good luck to all Avs backers tonight - I'm with you anyway since I still have that pending bet on Colorado to win the series.

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
Geez, I expected a lot more action on this thread by this time...we've gotta get this joint rockin'!

One interesting thing that I notice, katts, on your post, is a mention of disparity on your two handicapping systems. A couple of recent events in my life have indirectly related to handicapping sporting events.
I recently warned that, after my school year ends, I would start handicap-philosophizing more at this site, so what a perfect opporunity to ramble on (not the Zeppelin tune)...

One course that I took this past semester was Philosophy XXXX (forgot the # already, thank Maddux), or "Critical Reasoning." We spent a few weeks on inductive reasoning, and I found myself perking up, paying more attention than I was in the other (mostly boring) lectures. As any (patient) readers may or may not know, inductive reasoning is exactly what we do when we handicap these events.

Digression 1.0
An easy, and perhaps too simple, way to think of the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning is as follows:
DEDUCTIVE: going from the general to the particular, or specific. e.g. if Patrick Roy is a man then we can deduce that Patrick Roy is mortal from the fact that all men are mortal. The famous example of
Roy is a man
All men are mortal
therefore, Roy is mortal.
INDUCTIVE: going from the particular (or, hopefully, particulars) to the general. e.g. if Roy plays great in game 1, game 2, and perhaps every game that we see him play (I know, I know, but this is hypothetical, right?) then we can induce from these particulars to the general conclusion that every future game that Roy plays he will play great.
Immediately, I'm sure you can see how deductive reasoning is supposed to be logically infallible (if done properly) while inductive reasoning is never certain.
A famous (I think) example is the one where the first swan that I see is white, and so is the second, third, fourth, etc., then I can induce that every swan is white (which actually isn't true). Trying to form a general law, or at least probablities, from previous empirical evidence is a tricky business.

Anyways, I paid close attention in these lectures on induction, and I found myself trying to relate them back to sports handicapping (obsession? what obsession?) Thing is, this was quite the Mickey-Mouse course (2nd year, I dunno, maybee uss schtudentz are geetttin schtupider, sho dey hafta mayk everyting reel ez furus)
Anyway, I guess the point of all this is that I'm certainly into investigating this inductive reasoning thing further.

The second thing, I just starting reading (for fun, believe it or not) Michael Shermer's book "Denying History." He researches Holocaust deniers and other forms of pseudo-history in an attempt to discuss what practical, scientific ways there are to do actual historical research. He mentions a nineteenth-century philosopher of science (William Whewall) who wrote about the consilience of inductions which is supposed to mean that any research relying on empirical evidence (just real, objective evidence or, for our purposes, what's actually happened previously or sure to take place) must not rely on just a single thread of evidence but can only be trusted if several converging lines of evidence point to a certain conclusion. Shermer uses the term convergence of evidence to mean the same thing.

Often I have to make my picks based on just the "peripheral" knowledge that I have from following the sports on a day-to-day basis, due to time constraints, but when I do take the time to do in-depth handicapping, I try to look at every possible conceivable angle (at least for baseball). In this sense I can relate to this convergence of evidence theory. For virtually every game (that I bet) I can find some negative piece of evidence, if you will, that may suggest team X will lose the game, even on the picks that I feel strongest about. I suppose that this is a good sign, meaning that I never find any of those golden, five-million star super-locks of the millennium, but sometimes I find it difficult (as we probably all do) to decide how much weight to give to each piece of evidence.

(short) Digression 2.0
I know that in my examples above, with the "history" book at least, it's dealing with trying to determine what happened in the past, but the inductive reasoning thing still holds, greatly, in sports handicapping.

Relating back to what katts said, if there are any survivers up to this point, I noticed that you said that your two different systems gave different results (I get this all the time with the NFL, as I always use two seperate, though similar systems). It seems to me that the results that you got--was it 60% and 66%?--are not that far off, so taking the lower, or some kind of average (which I often do with my NFL systems) is reasonable. Of course, at 60% you have only a negligible "value" at -140. Nothing wrong with that, and you might be right to lay off because of it. I actually scooped the -1.5, +250 in the first games in Colorado because I couldn't resist the bonus coin--today I'm just on the -140 because I figure that the Blues will be desperate and that might keep it to a one-goal game (don't feel like pushing my luck too much here, either).

Anyway, I guess the whole point of this rambleodeon was just to discuss that I'm currently looking for any methods, systems, etc., that might give me that extra bit of "converging evidence" with which to base my picks on. I'm constantly checking this site to see if someone has posted some data, or even opinion, that I may have missed or not considered. The posting of picks, without any reasoning or argument, doesn't really do too much for me, although I can appreciate that several people either coat-tail or use the same just to see if others agree of disagree with them. Myself, I'm not into the consensus thing; if I have a play, and everyone else on the site is posting the same play, without any reasons, then I'm not swayed either way.
In fact, for some strange reason I'd rather not look at others picks until after I've done my own research. This especially holds for the newspaper picks, in Toronto's dailies; you wouldn't believe these guys...they pick worst than the editors of Platinum Sheet!

Alright, that's enough for me until I have something of value to add.
Avalanche probably end it tonight.
I think a 65% chance, minimum, is where I place it. That's somewhere around a -190, so I can't resist the -140.
Careful on the Blues!
Extrapolater

P.S. other ramblings on this sort of topic are encouraged. I'm way into this shit right now, seeing as my (head) exams are finally over. Thank Roy for that!

[This message has been edited by EXTRAPOLATER (edited 05-21-2001).]

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
Also, I believe you're right about the date line being in the middle of the Pacific, but I was thinking Atlantic (East) because it would be later towards the East.
My reasoning might be faulty, though.
It certainly wouldn't be the first time!
Ex

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
LOL Extrapolator - now you really want to mess my brain up don't you
tongue.gif

But seriously, some great stuff there!

I'm probably not as educated as you when it comes to philosophy but still I'm always interested to hear what our modern (and non-modern) philosophers have to say.

Besides, philosophy was my favorite subject when I was at the "Cegep" (something between college and University here in Quebec).. My favorites are Hegel, Husserl and.. Nietzsche (just to make different). But my very favorite is a local guy here in Quebec city named "Harold Descheneaux"... the guy will probably never be known...
just too bad, because he has a real knack for explaining philosiphical concepts.

I'd like to bring some more philosophy in my posts (and really, I try to fully integrate the concept of "phenomenology" in my handicapping approach) but I'm always scared to sound like an idiot since there are so many 500$ words that I'm having some hard time to translate from french to english... anyways.. maybe I'll try one of these days...
smile.gif

Well if it can interest you, here's a global idea of what my "simple" system is all about:

ELO rating system

This sytem has been set up by a mathematician of the same name (Elo) early in the 20th century I think.

They've been using this system in chess tournaments for years and it works very well... however you need to change the scale and some other parameters when it comes to other things (such as hockey) .. comes with experience.. And don't forget that when it comes to team sports, it's not 1 vs 1, it's more like 20 vs 20.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
Patrick Roy... Can you believe that guy? Did you see that save against Demitra?? Gee it was just like: "here... that easy.." I had a big laugh when I saw it; have been switching from WWF Monday Night Raw to the hockey game all night long and for a second, when I saw the save, I said to myself: "oh no! Don't tell me that hockey is fixed too!" It looked so easy... Arrogant that Roy... but the heck of an athlete... Man do I feel bad about the negative comments I wrote about him back a couple of weeks ago..

Bet on MyBookie