Comments on WASH tonight

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
The last two games I have noticed them reverting a bit to Oct/Nov form, so be careful on them tonight. I think the FLA game has been the worst thing for them. They scored a ton and played a free flowing game cuz they could, but that will burn them against good teams. Yes, Jagr is on fire, but in my opinion they are looking to run and gun more, resulting in defensive lapses and way too many shots against.

In both the NYI and NYR games (OT win and OT loss respectively) there were long periods of time where the opposition was able to cycle and keep it in the offensive zone. Practically the entire 3rd period was played in the Caps zone in the Islander game. This team has played 4 games since last Friday, and fatigue might be a factor, plus they go to Ottawa tomorrow. WASH has won just once in the last 6 against TOR. I also noticed that the line has moved some and is down to -125 from I think a -160 open. Kolzig is playing with Charpentier scheduled to go tomorrow in Ottawa. Not sure why it moved so much?

If the line had stayed at TOR +135-140 I would say that TOR certainly had value. Not sure now. I know the Caps are one of the hottest teams right now, but I don't like what I have seen in their last 2 games. Can anyone add anything on TOR? Is Mogilny in or out?

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
Last 5
Offense Shots
Toronto 33.6 3.0 FG PP 10%
Washington 30.4 4.6 GF PP 31.6%

Defense Shots
Toronto 24.6 3.4 GA PK 90.5%
Washington 31.6 2.0 GA PK 90.5%

Wash giving up 31 shots per game at home, giving up 3.05 goals per game at home and PK is just 80% at home, but home record is a stellar 13-5-1-2.

kebbyc

Forum Member
Dec 28, 2000
Canandaigua, NY 14424
I was leaning to the over on this one even though wash has not scored much since the florida game. These two have gone over 4 of the last 5 and toronto is 4-0-1 last 5 on the over side. May play small on toronto if value is there but I'm still thinking:shrug: GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
Hmmm, Molgilny out as well as Belfour?

Hmmm, Molgilny out as well as Belfour?

Could the initial high ML be explained by this? And now Belfour is in so it has come down to -125?

Hurt Mogilny says he's out, healed Renberg says he's in, and just where is Belfour?

By TERRY KOSHAN -- Toronto Sun

Alex Mogilny walked with a limp, Mikael Renberg skated with some jump and Ed Belfour was nowhere to be seen yesterday.

Those developments are bound to make an impact on the Maple Leafs lineup tonight in Washington versus Jaromir Jagr and the rest of the red-hot Capitals.

Neither Mogilny nor Belfour practised and afterward general manager/coach Pat Quinn said both were "possibles" for the game.

"There is no determination (whether) they will miss (tonight's game), but we will see as we go forward," Quinn said.

But Mogilny, who nearly made it out of the Air Canada Centre without speaking publicly, said he was not even making the two-game trip which ends tomorrow night in Montreal when the Leafs clash with the Canadiens.

"I've got a deep bone bruise (on his foot)," said Mogilny, the Leafs' leading scorer with 20 goals and 49 points in 43 games. "I am looking at just a couple of days (out of the lineup)."

Mogilny "got smacked on the foot" during a 3-2 Toronto win against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday, Quinn said. Belfour's absence was explained by Quinn as a day off for body maintenance -- which Belfour gets every now and then -- but after a complete day off on Wednesday, it's odd.

Renberg has missed eight games with an infected hand, an injury which led to the thought of amputation of a finger at one point. He practised in Mogilny's spot on a line with Mats Sundin and Nik Antropov yesterday, and is optimistic he will play tonight.

"My hand is good, but my lungs are not," Renberg said with a smile. "It was great to be back because it has been too long without playing hockey. The first game is going to be tiring, but sooner or later, I am going to have to play. I want to as soon as possible."

Harold Druken, whose physical conditioning was brought into question by Quinn, took the place of the demoted Aaron Gavey on a line with Alyn McCauley and Paul Healey, but there is no guarantee Druken will play tonight. Druken was placed on waivers on Wednesday, and given the Leafs injuries, probably will play in Washington if he is not picked up by another club.

"It's nothing new to me," said Druken, who was acquired by the Leafs off waivers from the Carolina Hurricanes last month and could be re-claimed by the 'Canes. "If I clear I get to spend the year in beautiful St. John's (his home town). It is not a win-win, but it's not bad

ddubs

Let's Go Boilers!!!
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2000
The Windy City
"Body Maintenance"?? WTF is that chit? Belfour was probably hung over from tearing up Toronto night clubs with Domi, Sundin, TTM$ and his buddies.:D

The line has bounced back up this morning, though, and it looks about right to me. Toronto plays too chitty on the road for me to play them, even for a doggy player like me. Right now it's Wash-.5 or no play for me. Don't trust the Laughs on the road.

REALLY bad spot for the Caps tomorrow, though. 3/4 spot on the road at Ottawa. Caps have yet to win a road game this season in 3/4 spots (0-5-2).

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
ddubs, yeah the Leafs really struggle on the road. Caps sorta have thrown in the towel a bit on tomorrow. Playing the rookie in goal and night two of back to back (and 3rd in 4) vs. a rested Ottawa team at home. Yikes.