Computer Help. KMA or anyone??

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

TJBELL

Forum Member
Jul 22, 2001
Port Richey, Florida
Computer help before I either throw my laptop through the wall or take it to Best Buy/Curcuit City for repair.

I think some drink may have gotten spilled on some of the keyboard. When I am reading a thread, it starts "flickering" and automatically goes right to the top of the page. Have to try to smack a few keys to get it to stop "scrolling" back up to the top of the page. This is a pain in the ass.

Is there a way to fix this or is this a repair issue.

Anyone????

(Unplugged it and took out the battery for 5 minutes, that's why I am able to type this!)

Thanks!!

loungelizard

Forum Member
Nov 3, 1999
Lebanon Missouri
your keyboard can be cleaned, but a real pain in the ass on laptops, you may try using denatured alcohol, (not rubbing) available at most pharmacies, dampen a lint free cloth with in and try cleaning affected areas, trouble is, it's hard to get to where the drink penetrated, but worth a shot without taking it apart. I think a laptop has somewhere around 20-40 little screws you have to mess with to remove keyboard, so not real hard to take apart, little tougher to put back together. If the alcohol won't do the trick, prob best to take to repair place.

Good Luck
ll

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
i've seen this problem all too often at one of my old jobs, which was troubleshooting and replacing parts on Compaq desktops and laptops. Nine out of 10 times it is your motherboard that is affected by these spills. and since your video is integrated into your motherboard, replacing it could very well solve the flickering issue.

you'll now have to decide between repair vs. replacement. if you take it to best buy or any other geek shop, be prepared for an ass raping. i can almost guarantee a bill of $350+

if you check on ebay, you can probably find a good deal for a motherboard and replace it yourself. unless you have a dell, you'll have to go through them since all their shit is proprietary. replacing anything on a laptop can be a little nerve racking but if you pay attention to detail and have a good memory of where everything goes, you can do it yourself. wear a ground strap though!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

KMA

Forum Member
May 25, 2003
I hate to ask leading questions, BUT, you think a drink was spilled??? Keyboards are allegic to any liquid with sugar in it!!!

It sounds like a new keyboard is in your future. "Experts" say you can put them in a dishwasher, make certain they are dry and they should work again. From my experience" "Expert" does NOT make them right!!!