Construction Advice

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Mickstr68

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Deltona, Florida, USA
The wife and I have decided to add on a garage to our house (I want it connected to the house). There is already an existing concrete pad where the garage will be. We have just decided to do this so I have done nothing at this point. My question is posed to those that have had additions constructed onto their houses- where do I start? Do I need to hire an architect or should I just contact G.C.'s and see if they have inhouse people that can do the plans? If I need to hire an architect what would be a fair rate for a set of plans?

We want a 2 car garage about 2 cars deep- and depending on the construction cost- it's possible that I could want to make it two stories for a little gameroom.

All experienced stories and advice will be helpful.

JB22

Forum Member
Nov 30, 2003
far away
have a general contractor do if this is not your line of work . are you removing any bearing walls /if so beams need to be right size to carry roof load/floor load good luck

Captain Crunch

Forum Member
Apr 22, 2002
Lee's Summit, Mo.
Agree with JB in that the best route to go is to hire a remodeling contractor to do the job. I have been in the concrete biz for 22 years and can tell ya there are a lot of screwballs out there in this line of business. Get referrals and check the better biz bureau beforing signing any contract. Might go to a reputable lumber yard in your area and get some names from them. Atleast that would be a good start. From what it sounds like you are wanting to do, do not try and do this on your own.

Good Luck

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg