Contractors

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Anyone have any advice on dealing with them. I know it's the busy part of the year for some of them, but wow I'm frustrated with one of my projects right now. I want to put hardwood floors in my home (all carpeted), fence the yard, and get a real nice wraparound deck in my back yard. I found the fence was the easiest thing to negotiate. The floors were pretty easy to negotiate as well. As far as the deck, I feel like I'm really having a hard time with estimates all over the place. Problem is, the contractors I like the best on this are also the highest. BTW, I'm looking at this from both sides as well - I know they have to make a profit and I want to have a good job done as well. Any advice appreciated.

kneifl

McKenzie

Commo Commander
Forum Member
Anyone have any advice on dealing with them. I know it's the busy part of the year for some of them, but wow I'm frustrated with one of my projects right now. I want to put hardwood floors in my home (all carpeted), fence the yard, and get a real nice wraparound deck in my back yard. I found the fence was the easiest thing to negotiate. The floors were pretty easy to negotiate as well. As far as the deck, I feel like I'm really having a hard time with estimates all over the place. Problem is, the contractors I like the best on this are also the highest. BTW, I'm looking at this from both sides as well - I know they have to make a profit and I want to have a good job done as well. Any advice appreciated.

kneifl

My son works for a very good contractor who travels and does a great job. I can PM you his info if you are interested.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
You want to find a sub-contractor because that's who the contractors you talk to are going to hire, only you will pay double or higher.

You can find a good sub by asking the people who work at the local lumber yard or Lowes or Menards. Or go to a new sub division that's being built and talk to the guys building the homes. You could even run an ad for a sub-contractor.

They'll try to get a higher price than what they charge to contractors but you can get them down. Shoot for a price of around $10-$12 a square foot.

Reactions: kneifl

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
You want to find a sub-contractor because that's who the contractors you talk to are going to hire, only you will pay double or higher.

You can find a good sub by asking the people who work at the local lumber yard or Lowes or Menards. Or go to a new sub division that's being built and talk to the guys building the homes. You could even run an ad for a sub-contractor.

They'll try to get a higher price than what they charge to contractors but you can get them down. Shoot for a price of around $10-$12 a square foot.

I have some rough plans, I've heard about this and think it's a good idea. Just a bit worried about the quality of work. It's amazing to me how some of these contractors turn down offers of in excess of 80-90% of their quote. I am sort of pissed off they aren't willing to work with you at all. I mean I realize it's a business and a profit needs to be made but the latest crap I went through makes me livid. I basically wanted $1,500 off a $13K job and the asshole said no and told me to look elsewhere.

With the subcontractors, do you find they are pretty knowledgeable about what they are doing? I'm going to catch a few of them at Lowes/Home Depot this weekend or at least get a few names.

kneifl

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
I have some rough plans, I've heard about this and think it's a good idea. Just a bit worried about the quality of work. It's amazing to me how some of these contractors turn down offers of in excess of 80-90% of their quote. I am sort of pissed off they aren't willing to work with you at all. I mean I realize it's a business and a profit needs to be made but the latest crap I went through makes me livid. I basically wanted $1,500 off a $13K job and the asshole said no and told me to look elsewhere.

With the subcontractors, do you find they are pretty knowledgeable about what they are doing? I'm going to catch a few of them at Lowes/Home Depot this weekend or at least get a few names.

kneifl
Decks are easy and desirable work for these guys. Make sure you're talking to the guy who is going to be doing the work, you don't need to be paying the middle man. A good carpenter that has built decks should be willing to give you references of the work he's done.

Yeah, they're very knowledgable about what they're doing, more so than the salesman I suspect you have been talking to.

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Is house one story or two?

Two stories. The deck is going to be a wrap around deck with no rails, more of a ground level type deck (above with about 350 SF. Also, going to have exterior door put in. The deck will wrap around a sunroom and the North end of the house. Will only use it for entertaining. I guess everything will need to be up to code with permits and we need to have one electrical outlet out there. Also, going to have a retaining wall put in around it.

kneifl

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Decks are easy and desirable work for these guys. Make sure you're talking to the guy who is going to be doing the work, you don't need to be paying the middle man. A good carpenter that has built decks should be willing to give you references of the work he's done.

Yeah, they're very knowledgable about what they're doing, more so than the salesman I suspect you have been talking to.

Good to hear, I didn't mind at all dealing with the fence or floors sales people. The deck sales people have been difficult as hell. I am guessing this may be because the work is more seasonal, but who knows. I like to think I'm pretty fair, but they seem greedy and the prices are all over the place. I will definitely talk to those subcontractors.

kneifl

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Make them pull a permit otherwise they won't.
Make them use 6x6 posts otherwise they will use 4x4.
Make them use 2x8 joists otherwise they will use 2x6.
Make them screw it together otherwise they will nail it down.

:0008

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Make them pull a permit otherwise they won't.
Make them use 6x6 posts otherwise they will use 4x4.
Make them use 2x8 joists otherwise they will use 2x6.
Make them screw it together otherwise they will nail it down.

:0008

and grade A deckscrews..

and make them give you 4 names to go by and see their work and talk to those who paid before you.

if they haven't built 4 w/glowing results you don't need them anyway

seeing is believing..

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
kneifl

give some thought to the work being done and if you are going to aerate and seed this season..

last thing you need is foot traffic if you are going to do that this season..

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
kneifl

give some thought to the work being done and if you are going to aerate and seed this season..

last thing you need is foot traffic if you are going to do that this season..

Thanks, I had thought about that. The ground by where the deck will be is going to be excavated and we don't go out there that often. I'm not going to seed out there this season. Will do it next season.

As for the rest of the back yard, we have too much crap weeds out there right now I need to kill out by where the fence line will be. Going with this:

weeds.jpg

Also got one of those sprayer things.

I'm also going to make sure they do the deck with C-Select wood.

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate all of your help.

kneifl

Redfish

Forum Member
Aug 3, 2002
El Dora, Fla
If they're a bonafide contractor...which for the type job your talking about I wouldn't use any other.....get a copy of their insurance and their License #...check the # against local municipalities & state to make sure they aren't under review for any shenanigans ... insist on lien releases before final payment...this is standard business practices and shouldn't be a problem for them to abide by....GL

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
If they're a bonafide contractor...which for the type job your talking about I wouldn't use any other.....get a copy of their insurance and their License #...check the # against local municipalities & state to make sure they aren't under review for any shenanigans ... insist on lien releases before final payment...this is standard business practices and shouldn't be a problem for them to abide by....GL

WELL SAID..:0074

Bet on MyBookie