Cost to Replace AC Compressor

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
My father has an old 2001 Ford Taurus. He just put money in it and it is running really good. The thing is now the AC Compressor is shot. Any idea on a ball park figure to have it replaced.

Dead Money

Forum Member
Sep 15, 2005
Upstairs watching sports on the big TV.
A suggestion...

On a system that old, 14+ years, and apparently you are going to keep the vehicle, I would look into also replacing the high pressure hoses.

Lots of usage and under the hood heat build-up over the years will eventually crack the hoses, and POOF, there goes your refrigerant and possibly the compressor.

Happened to me, system had to be purged and refilled, fortunately I caught it quickly and no damage to compressor.

I would hire a pro, with a good warranty.

Gluck

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
My father has an old 2001 Ford Taurus. He just put money in it and it is running really good. The thing is now the AC Compressor is shot. Any idea on a ball park figure to have it replaced.

my cost

Part Number
Part Description
Whole Sale

• REPF191119
    repf191119.jpg

artworkZoom.GIF
  • TAURUS 01-07 A/C COMPRESSOR, New, Polished, 6-groove belt, 0.88 in. belt width, w/ clutch SubModel : SE Engine : 6 Cylinder 3.0 Liter OEM Number:
    Parts Link No:

Availability:
    CA - Please Call or Click Here For Stock Check
    VA - Please Call or Click Here For Stock Check
    IL - Please Call or Click Here For Stock Check
  • List Price: $263.00,,,, $145.00
    Quantity <select id="selectedQuantity_1"></select>

educated guess..

they hit ya up for 1.5 hours labor..

at 100.00 an hour.. $150.00 labor

part..Rock Auto or PerfectFit Group..155.00 w/tax

my guess $305.00 installed ..

PA...what's the real deal cost for such a repair...am I close:SIB
    :SIB:SIB:SIB:SIB:SIB

PAChicky

Bee
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2013
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
The compressors are relatively cheap and easy to replace yourself.
Pay to have it done should be around $200

Not even for the compressor.

First question- what is wrong with it? Did someone officially diagnose it? Is the clutch locked up? It is not cooling? Is it an internal or external problem? Most companies now make you replace the extra a/c components when replacing the compressor if you want a warranty. If it's external you should be able to get away with just the compressor but just so you know when you drive it off the lot you are on your own.
There is so much more I would need to know but I can tell you labor alone would be 2.5 to 3 hours. Our rate is $55/hr. So roughly $165 Just in labor plus the compressor (Napa) $302.48 in stock. I have online access to our Napa account so I just looked it up and looked to see which one was in stock because that would more than likely be the most popular one. I did not enter whether it was a 3.0 pushrod or a 3.0 DOHC. Recharge the a/c system after replacing the compressor $79,95 and UV dye to find any further problems down the road $7.95.
$165
$302
$80
$8
approx. $555 plus (PA STATE TAX 6%) $589

ESTIMATE ONLY. This is also without having definite model, engine, etc. This is just a rough guess and PaSprint just gave me a guess on the labor off the top of his head.

If he doesn't need A/c they also make an A/C Bypass pulley for about $70. Which you would remove the compressor and put the pulley in its place so the belt has a pulley to run on then you just don't have a/c. How long does he want to keep the car? Is the car worth $600 in repairs? If he is considering getting a new one any time soon now would be the time Don't sink the money into it because you won't get it back out when you trade it either.

These are all things I go over with my customers when giving them estimates like this.

Hope I was some help.

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
PAC

why is the compressor so much higher at a Napa Dealer?

thanks for the feedback..

and 55.00 labor is super reasonable..

PAChicky

Bee
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2013
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
PAC

why is the compressor so much higher at a Napa Dealer?

thanks for the feedback..

and 55.00 labor is super reasonable..

Mine is an a/c compressor with clutch assembly. You wouldn't want to replace the compressor and transfer the clutch because you asking for problems down the road. But now that I looked back at yours it also has a clutch. Napa is a Chain store. I only order from Napa, Carquest, Fremont, and rarely Fishers. We have an Auto Zone and an Advance in the next town but I stick to Napa or Carquest mainly. When I do repair jobs people don't want to wait days to get their cars back and if I can get a compressor and get it done that day that's what they want. Plus I know my parts stores very well and have a good relationship with them and these online places give me the creeps. If I order a part from my local store and i'ts wrong, I don't have an issue sending it back. No shipping, no restocking fees, etc. If I would order from an online company I can guarantee you they wouldn't pay the return shipping and they would charge you a restocking fee. Wasted time and money because then my customer has to wait longer to get their car back. Our goal everyday is to get everything in the book done by 5pm. The happier my customers are the happier I am. Yes sometimes we run into issues and I may have to call them and ask to keep it til tomorrow and 99% of the time they say "that's fine."

For example. I replaced a wheel bearing on a minivan and it had a 1 year warranty. It was 14 months after and the bearing went bad again. The customer told me "well it's been more than a year so it's out of warranty" and I said "let me see about that". My parts store did a complete warranty on it with no questions asked. Online companies are more inclined not to do that. When the year is up the year is up and you're out of luck. In fact out of the other garages in the area that I know, they don't like ordering from online companies either. Our 4 auto parts stores here in town do a very good business.

Reactions: Skulnik

PAChicky

Bee
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2013
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Curious, labor is taxed in PA?

Here in Okla, apparently it is not, invoices exclude labor as a taxable item.

Thanks for your input.

The only thing that is not taxable (garage wise) is Pennsylvania Tire Tax. When I sell a tire the state collects $1 for each tire and that $1 is not taxable. OR if I do a job for another garage I can bill them out as RESALE with no tax if they furnish me with a Tax ID number which they should have if they are a business.

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
I apologize up front if someone else has addressed everything but I didn't want to read thru it all.

Compressors are very easy to replace. The big problem is you don't know other issues you may have now that the compressor is shot. A lot of times once it goes bad people keep turning it on or just keeping it on and it throw crap into the system. You could have a bad condenser, drier etc. You can take your chance and just replace the compressor but if there is crap in the system you'll be screwing that new compressor before you know it.

If I was you I would just replace the compressor. There are some good sites that have refurbed compressors. I bought one for my last job on my car and it's worked great.

Literally easy easy job even for a novice. Buy the compressor and do it yourself. Worst case scenario you get stuck. Find a mobile guy on Craigslist and have him come out and help finish it.

You will need to rent an AC compressor at Autozone.(it's free actually, just have to leave a deposit). This will create the suction to get the initial draw of freon into the system.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
I apologize up front if someone else has addressed everything but I didn't want to read thru it all.

Compressors are very easy to replace. The big problem is you don't know other issues you may have now that the compressor is shot. A lot of times once it goes bad people keep turning it on or just keeping it on and it throw crap into the system. You could have a bad condenser, drier etc. You can take your chance and just replace the compressor but if there is crap in the system you'll be screwing that new compressor before you know it.

If I was you I would just replace the compressor. There are some good sites that have refurbed compressors. I bought one for my last job on my car and it's worked great.

Literally easy easy job even for a novice. Buy the compressor and do it yourself. Worst case scenario you get stuck. Find a mobile guy on Craigslist and have him come out and help finish it.

You will need to rent an AC compressor at Autozone.(it's free actually, just have to leave a deposit). This will create the suction to get the initial draw of freon into the system.

I can see me doing that. :mj07:

PAChicky

Bee
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2013
Central Pa
www.facebook.com

No offense to what you posted but not ALL compressors are EASY to replace. I have heard enough F-Bombs in my day coming form PaSprint when doing an a/c job it's not funny. (I close my door and turn the radio up). Not that I'm deterring anyone from doing their own work but be careful what you wish for. Some are right on top and very easily accessible and then you have others that you have to take half of the shit out before you can even get to it and some are only accessible from the bottom- in that case, without a vehicle lift you are looking at a nightmare. I can tell you when car manufacturers build cars they do not look into the future as to what will need to be done to repair them. I honestly feel they should have a certified mechanic in the designing room when building cars. Yes I also agree with Layin Wood that if you have an internal problem you will outright ruin the new compressor because the garbage in the system will go right through and ruin it. Parts stores will not warranty compressors like that.

REFLOG

Forum Member
Nov 17, 2002
The Dogpound

DIY, go to youtube, should be plenty of info on there to do it on your own and save some coin.

PAChicky

Bee
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2013
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o7_5JKu0vKw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b3XCSS46TXY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are two "videos" that will show you how to do it 10 and 17 minutes. Not sure why the guy in the second one is cutting a hole in the plastic skid protector underneath (probably because he doesn't have a lift and is too lazy to remove it correctly) He is also replacing all the a/c components so my guess is he bought a compressor that requires that for warranty or it was an internal issue and the bag inside ruptured and sent garbage through the whole system. Putting PAG oil in the compressor is easy- just look it up on the spec sheet. He says not to jostle it around too much so you can measure it so you get the correct amount back in. 14oz????? A bottle is 10oz and a bottle lasts a long time........not sure what he was measuring.

PaSprint

Forum Member
Jan 2, 2007
Central PA
Change a compressor assy in an early 2000s Ford Expedition and get back to me on how "easy" it was. Got a serpentine belt tool? Surely every average backyard mechanic has an industry standard charging station with a vacuum pump? If and when you get the job done, what are you going to recharge it with? 1 LB cans from WalMart? :mj07::mj07:
I must say I usually get a good chuckle every time these car questions/issues arise and I will help out where and when I can but..... holy hell fellas!!!

Bet on MyBookie