Dallas Info For Thursday

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
Dallas Info from dallasnews.com and the Star Telegram

The Dallas Stars activated center Pierre Turgeon from injured reserve Wednesday, and sent defenseman John Erskine to the minors to clear roster room. And while he'll be back in the lineup against Calgary, back isn't necessarily back to normal. Tuesday he played on a line with defenseman-turned-wing Brad Lukowich and Rob DiMaio. "I think that's why they signed him in the off-season," Lukowich joked, "to get a center for me."
He is likely to play with Benoit Hogue and DiMaio on Thursday.

Defensman Derian Hatcher (hamstring) went through his first full practice and should play Thursday
From the Fort Worth Star Telegram
IRVING - Backup goalie Marty Turco will make consecutive starts for the first time this season. Coach Ken Hitchcock said Turco will start Thursday when the Stars begin a three-game Western Canada swing at Calgary.
Turco got his second win of the season Sunday, and first since Oct. 18, when the Stars beat the Wild 4-3. Turco stopped 17 shots in the victory and withstood a fierce Wild rally in the final portion of the third period.
"We won a game in regulation," Hitchcock said. "Let's just give the goalie the opportunity to feel good about it, so let's go with it."
The low shot total didn't help lower Turco's save percentage, which stands at .884. His goals-against average also remained stationary at 2.98.
Ed Belfour, who remains one win shy of his 146th victory with the Stars, which would give him sole ownership of the franchise's all-time wins record, is expected to start Saturday at Edmonton.

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
wigs,

Great info, thanks. From afar it would seem that Dallas management was not impressed with the Stars start so they made those 2 trades. Now if the team does not get going over the next 10-12 games do you see a coaching change. It seems like the players were playing to get Hitchcock fired. Only time will tell, but it seems more and more players are not big on Hitch so eventually the coach will be turned loose. You can't keep on trading players due to the coach, sometime the coach is going to take the fall. If Hitch is not the first coach to get fired this year then my bet is on Ron Wilson or Larry Robinson, both of these teams are playing well below their talent level.

GL tomorrow!

HORNS

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
horns

Gainey(The gm) said these changes were an evaluation of his evaluation on certain players. that might seem confusing but once again dallas' system is so strict and hitchcock so demanding that one really has to closely analyze who would fit into it, and apparently, audette and lumme didnt. the team had no identity at all, usually you can at least "ballpark" a team and point to a particualr style they employ. that wasnt the case with dallas. well actually their style was up-tempo with their D turning the puck over repeatedly. you cant do that with hatcher and matvichuk in there. they are not known for their nimbleness nor passing prowess. so that leads to lumme getting booted and manson coming over, manson had already shown back when dal lost to nj, that he can be a decent defensemen in a third pairing..that being said they still need awhile to jell together as a team. i will say that it is mesmirizing that they still are up close to the top of the pacific, goes to show you how weak or mediocre most teams are playing. that gives them some leeway the next week or so, i dont foresee a coaching change (unless modano finally gets fed up, but as long as he is willing to accept hitchcock, i think hitch stays around.) i will of course watch tonight against calgary, i do like chenker's rationale for the over here, fresh faces together usually leads to a few breakdowns and i believe calg gets savard back tonight. nieuwendyk is very streaky and he is hot right now as well, dal should have there three centers rolling tonight although hitchcock has already stated in the press that further along in the season you will probably see more of turgeon or modano on the wing with one another. in order to et these guys the appropriate ice time, you cant have them on 3 separate lines, but for tonight turgeon should start off on line 3...good luck Horns, hope to hear from you later

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
thanks Horns, i dont think i will ever be able to know all the intricacies of hockey but as i watch more and more, well, i am understanding it better, still not up to par with some of you cappers that have been doing a great job, here is some info from calgary herald...

A mere 10 days ago, the Calgary Flames were the most miserly bunch in the National Hockey League, with an enviable 1.84 team goals-against average that was the toast of the 30-team circuit.

In stark contrast, the Flames have surrendered no less than four goals in each of their past five outings -- which, not surprisingly, have yielded two ties and three straight losses -- and seen their goals-against tumble all the way to ninth overall, at 2.33.

And it's the 60-minute minutiae that require attention as the Flames (13-5-4-2) attempt a return to frugality tonight at the Pengrowth Saddledome against the Dallas Stars (8-7-6-3).

"When things go bad, you have to go back to basics," defenceman Denis Gauthier said Wednesday. "We're not finishing checks. We're not pressuring the puck. We don't have our sticks on the ice.

"It's not a lack of hard work. It seems like we're trying to overdo it, and that's not how you get out of funks. It's not devastating, because it's only four or five games, but at the same time it has to be corrected -- and soon."

Said defenceman Bob Boughner: "We need to make better plays off the faceoffs, and not spend so much time in our own end. We practised today on routes in the neutral zone, with stops and starts and cutting angles off, because we're giving up way too much space in the neutral zone right now and letting them come in at us with speed.''

"It's getting in shooting lanes,'' said Boughner. "It's better stick play for our defencemen, which sounds like a little thing, but when you go into a corner against a guy with your stick in the air, and he threads it out for a nice pass, it's your fault."

Offered head coach Greg Gilbert: "When you let details slip, sometimes you try to make up for it by almost doing too much, and taking yourself out of the play. And on the other end of the spectrum, we're slowing down, stopping our feet and trying to read everything that's going on -- and by that time, the play's already up ice ahead of you.

"Now the guys do understand that we need everyone contributing 110 per cent."

Flames players are adamant about one point -- goaltending has not been an issue through the club's recent road trip, which resulted in one point out of a possible eight.

Roman Turek made that clear with an heroic 28-save performance during Calgary's most recent loss, Tuesday's 4-2 defeat to the Red Wings at Detroit.

"They (goalies) have nothing to do with it. Nothing!" said Gauthier

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
Horns,
They did look a lot better last night, it's amazing what happens when you get a lead. that has been a huge problem for them also this yr. when they get the lead and can dictate the style of play, it helps them out a lot. everyone had a role last night, stuck to it and it paid off. they kept calgary to 19 shots and very few good scoring opportunites. plus since they reverted back to their old D ways, they were able to send hatcher and matvichuk out there against the Iginla line almost every time. hatcher logged 25 minutes and was even strength(hard to believe with his turnover problems this yr) but last night all he had to do was play D, they werent worried about him making quick outlet passes to get the breakout going. turgeon only played about 11 minutes but it is still huge to have him back, 3 capable centers in the faceoff circle is very advantageous. overall i get the feeling that these new players fit the system much better(brunet, rucinsky and manson) although audette is very talented, the stars had enough "talent" on O, they needed more grit and more checkers, that's still one thing i do not like about this team, lack of a true enforcer. hatcher has to log too many minutes and cannot mix it up all the time. their lines still dont have much size to them overall. no doubt edmonton will bang em every chance they get with the likes of laraque, grier, etc.. and i would imagine the arena and fans will be charged up there, given these two teams history in the playoffs. good luck today! find some winners

Bet on MyBookie