Dan Snyder Dies

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Apparently this is fairly breaking news, but Snyder, the passenger in the Heatley car accident didn't make it.

What an absolute tragedy.

You can read it on CBSsportsline or anywhere else I'm sure.

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
This is so sad. I just got this from TSN.

Thrashers Snyder dies in hospital

Canadian Press

10/5/2003

ATLANTA (AP) - Atlanta Thrashers forward Dan Snyder died Sunday night, six days after he was involved in a horrific car crash with teammate Dany Heatley.

Snyder of Elmira, Ont., died in hospital from massive brain injuries without ever regaining consciousness, the team said.

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 130 kph on a narrow two-lane road last Monday night when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence.

The car split in half. The players were thrown into the road.

Heatley already was facing several charges, including a felony - and prosecutors are likely to upgrade the seriousness of the charges with Snyder's death.

Snyder, 25, underwent surgery for a skull fracture but never emerged from his coma.

``We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Dan Snyder,'' the Thrashers said in a statement. ``Dan was a teammate and friend to all of us. We feel a tremendous amount of pain as an organization and extend deepest sympathies to his family.''

Snyder, a centre who had 10 goals and four assists in 36 games for Atlanta last season, had surgery on his ankle in September before the start of training camp. He was expected to start the season on the injured list.

Snyder signed with the Thrashers as a free agent in 1999 after playing four seasons of junior hockey for Owen Sound in the Ontario Hockey League.

He spent most of his first three professional seasons in the minor leagues, helping Orlando win the International Hockey League title in 2000-01 and playing on the Chicago Wolves' American Hockey League championship team in 2001-02. He also played 35 games for Chicago last season, getting 11 goals and 12 assists.

In addition to his legal problems, Heatley also sustained serious injuries in the crash.

He underwent surgery Saturday for a broken jaw and an MRI found that he tore two ligaments in his right knee. He will require more surgery in about a week for the knee injury, certainly threatening any return to the ice this season.

Heatley is the gap-toothed leader of the Thrashers, a 22-year-old with both toughness and great skill with the puck. Last season, he scored a team-record 41 goals and was MVP of the all-star game.

The Thrashers would only say that Heatley is out indefinitely, but it's clear general manager Don Waddell was planning for the season without his best player. He traded for Carolina Hurricanes goalie Jani Hurme on Friday with an eye toward acquiring help up front.

Atlanta also claimed left wing Serge Aubin from Colorado and left wing Ronald Petrovicky from the New York Rangers in the waiver draft on Friday.

Waddell said it's not known if Heatley will miss the entire season.

``Until doctors go in and see the extent of the tear, it's impossible to give an accurate recovery timetable,'' he said.

Heatley, who posted a $50,000 bond, already faced felony charge of serious injury by vehicle and three misdemeanour charges. Police are awaiting test results to determine if Heatley was drinking on the night of the wreck.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ddubs

Let's Go Boilers!!!
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2000
The Windy City
I lost my dearest mother last year in the eerily similar way, only my mother's vehicle was hit by a fawker who ran a red. I would not wish that on my worst enemy, as I'm still having a very difficult time dealing with it:cry:. My mother was 60......Snyder is only 25......what a shame:(

My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family:(

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
I guess what's important to learn is not to take anything for granted.

This is quite the dose of reality to people (like me) who are 'pissed' about losing a parlay or a teaser yesterday or to people who aren't happy about the Braves/Twins losing. There are more important things in life.

There's not much that I can do or say that will sound too comforting but I wish the best of health (and wealth) for everyone not only in the coming NHL season, but for the rest of your lives as well.

grooven

Forum Member
Jun 30, 2002
The dark side of the Moon
ddubs said:
I lost my dearest mother last year in the eerily similar way, only my mother's vehicle was hit by a fawker who ran a red. I would not wish that on my worst enemy, as I'm still having a very difficult time dealing with it:cry:. My mother was 60......Snyder is only 25......what a shame:(

My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family:(

My belated deepest sympathies goes out to the Sydner and you my friend. I can only imagine the grief you are feeling dan. :cry: We all here for such a very short time......But it is my firm belief that the architect of the universe didn't build a stairway leading nowhere:D. And out of this pain you have endured..... you my friend may be perhaps one of greatest hockey handicapper I ever have seen. :cool: :D :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ddubs

Let's Go Boilers!!!
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2000
The Windy City
Thank you very much, groovey. This thing was all over the General Forum last year, and the support, prayers, and well-wishes I received from everyone there provided me with great comfort. It's gonna take a long time for the Snyder family to recover from this, if at all......so young......sigh.

Thanks again, good luck this season:)