Dead Pools

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
Anyone participate in these? (Yes I know, it's morbid). I'm in a local one that starts on April Fools Day every year. Don't ask me why, but it's something we've done for a couple years now. You pick 10 people you expect to die within the next 12 months...get one point for every one you get correct...plus you can specify one 2-point pick, and one 3-point pick...so a perfect score would be 13. I won the pool with a score of 9 in '04/'05, but got just 5 points in '05/'06. I'm looking to come back from the dead.

I'm filling out my bracket and have what I'd consider 8 solid picks, but I'm kinda lukewarm on the last couple. Anyone have any good suggestions for people who are about ready to kick off?

==============================

My All-Dead Team for 2006-07:

Username: Why_So_Blue

Current Score = 1

3-points: Charles Haughey, Three-time prime minister of Ireland
2-points: Billy Graham, Televangelist
Regular: Johannes Heesters, 102-year old German actor
Regular: Brooke Astor, 104-year old philanthropist
Regular: Ariel Sharon, Israeli prime minister in a coma since January
Regular: Ronnie Biggs, Jailed UK Great Train Robber
Regular: Charles Lane, 101-year old character actor
Regular: Lady Bird Johnson, Former First Lady
* Regular: Gerald Ford, Former President
* Regular: Stanley Kunitz, 100-year old poet (died May 14/06)

First off the bench: Jerry Falwell, Televangelist
Second off the bench: Barett Robbins, Superbowl XXXVII No-Show

It's the last ones ( * ) I'm trying to knock off (well, in a figurative sense) ....might not be the strongest picks. Falwell and Robbins are backups just in case anyone goes in the next couple days and has to be replaced. But if you know of anyone else famous ready to kick the bucket... let me know!

Last edited:

mcgruder

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2004
Northern Minnesota
Barry Bonds died in a plane crash yesterday. It hasn't hit the national news yet so maybe you can sneak him onto the list before April 1st. :mj07: :mj07: :mj07: :142smilie :142smilie :142smilie

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
Forest - good advice, thanks. Billy Graham is a pretty obvious choice I overlooked somehow and should definitely be on the team. He's going in in place of Kunitz (Kunitz may be 100, but from what I've seen is doing pretty well).

AJ's mom is not famous enough to be eligible. To be eligible a person has to be listed in the rotten.com database and she isn't. But thanks for the heads up anyways.

Kosar - Thanks. Had Lady Bird on last year's team, and just don't feel like I can drop her now. Pretty good chance her time comes this year I think.

Kneifl - Like I said, I know it's morbid. It's not for everyone. It's not like we're cheering for these people to die (in most cases anyways). Just something to pass the time.

Last edited:

forest29

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2005
Texas
What about Boris Yeltsin, hasn't that guy been hanging on the edge for years? Hell, he may already be dead and preserved in a fine Ruskie Vodka.

HoopsGuru

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2004
i'm in one where every month you select a name out of a hat and the criteria is anyone over 65 that was an athlete, politician, or somebody well known. it's 10 bucks a month and the pot is usually around a grand. it rolls over from month to month if no one selected dies. one time it got up to about 6,000. been in 2 years and haven't won yet. i usually end up with people in their low 70's.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

forest29

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2005
Texas
GM said:
To be eligible a person has to be listed in the rotten.com database.

Rottentomatoes.com or just rotten.com?

What's the dbase web addy?

NEVERMIND----FOUND IT

Last edited:

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
I guess no, since you didn't mention it, but I would think you should get extra points for people under say 70 that die. I wouldn't be suprised to see Dick Chaney die or to see Tony Blair assassinated. Are there any Iraqi leadership people on your list?? You know some of those guys are going to get killed. Maybe that guy that's presiding over Sadaam's trial?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

HoopsGuru

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2004
i had cheney a few months ago. would've won about 3,000 if he would've kicked it.

ScreaminPain

1/2 cocked
Forum Member
Nov 10, 2004
Southern California
wareagle said:
just a few

ALI :scared

nancy reagan :shrug:

Castro :sadwave:

outside pick---horatio sanz

These are all decent picks. I was in a pool last year, but the points were awarded differently. You subtract the age at the time of death from 100, and that would be your score. It was advantages to have someone younger that "kicked the bucket", so you could get more points.

Yeah, it's sick, I know !

Hokie Fan

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2003
I always play Abe Vigoda That guy is a lock
Alice Ghostly
All of Motley Crue

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
President Ford.

Edit- Just saw you had him on your list. Sorry.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
I was in one of these pools once. My big pick was the Queen Mother, but Chris Farley beat all the old folks to the grave and someone cleaned up big on that longshot.

Felt so creepy I promised to never participate in one of these again.

If I were to though, I'd pick Jimmy Kimmel or Carson Daly, and then try and kill them myself.