Deck Staining Opinons...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Okay, so it's been several years since I did maintenance on my deck, no cleaning, no re-staining, no nothing. Undertaking this in my last week of freedom before starting back for my last year of school and new career.

It has actually weathered pretty well, overall. I have plenty of materials and equipment to do this thing right. I spent this afternoon spraying, brushing, cleaning, and applying deck brightener with the brush and cleaning the floor of the deck and the steps. Amazing how much better and cleaner those sections are. I plan to wash and brush all the top areas of the deck, the railing top and sides, and get those in better shape.

Here's the big question, from a work/time perspective. Do I NEED to do this with all the spindles on the deck? They seem to be in pretty good shape, and I am using a complete cover stain for all of it, so I would assume not having to attack all of those with a pre-cleaning and brushing would be ok. If not, this will be a crazy long project, and I'm not sure I care to do that.

I know I can test the spindles compared to the rest of the deck, but if I start on one area, I really can't go back. The spindles are all in pretty good shape compared to the rest of the deck - this is probably the same with most decks, I'd guess. Has anyone dealt with this issue? The new stain I'm using is a little bit darker (very little), but in the same color level as the first, so I think the blend will be pretty good.

Thoughts? I know that this thing will look and be much better off no matter what I do based on what I've done and the quality of the products I'm using - just thought I'd ask - I'm sure there are plenty of "professionals" here that have done this in the past. I welcome ANY thoughts you have. Don't worry about your opinion being railed on after I'm done - I think I know what I'm gonna do, but just looking for opinions. Thanks a lot, Jackers.

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
did you already spray the spindles with the wood prep while doing the rest of the deck..:shrug:

Spindles usually hold up well and a 2-1 Prep Behr cleaning is all that is necessary..You can take a poled cleaning brush for a quickie type scrub.

If you are using a Solid stain and use the always prefered 2 coats..remember the 48 hour rule ..second coat within that time frame so it doesn't set up before the second coat is applied..I prefer the second coat within about 24 hours..

the Solid vs Semi-transparent should eliminate most of the differences in color as long as the deck reacted well to the cleaning..

The solid will give you a max of about 4 years..Behr and others would have you believe 5 years but yet to see it last that long with any amount of tuff sun..

The folks at Behr are awesome when it comes to suggestions and correcting mistakes "you" have made..I had a flash rain ruin a deck on me 2 years ago and they picked up the tab for remover and the stain to redo..super super folks..

have fun..put on the Stones..The Boss..Traffic and others and let the staining begin..

and BRUSH EVERYTHING..

PRO'S BRUSH..never roll
http://www.behr.com/Behr/home#vgnex...1000006b0910acRCRD;channel=HEADER_NAV;view=13

Reactions: Mr. Poon
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Thanks for the full response, Old School. I did not spray the spindles, I did not get a power sprayer, just my hose sprayer. I'm sure I've already taken the cheap way out. I might still get a power sprayer tomorrow, but just wanted to get things looking fairly good as quickly/cheaply as possible. Not sure how long we'll be living at this house, honestly. I am definitely brushing everything... I know that is a definite key. Thanks again.

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
Coworker of mine purchased composite decking that needs no maintenance.

About 18 months later, the deck crumbled to shit.

Sued the company and won.

Now stains his deck every 2 years.

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
simple test for pressured treated wood that has been stained as to if it needs to be stained again..

Spray it with water..

if the water beads up and pools up then you know the protection is still there.

staining a surface that still has it's protective shield does nothing for the preservation of the wood..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
simple test for pressured treated wood that has been stained as to if it needs to be stained again..

Spray it with water..

if the water beads up and pools up then you know the protection is still there.

staining a surface that still has it's protective shield does nothing for the preservation of the wood..

Will be re-doing my cedar deck soon. I know I can't use a power washer as it will tear the crap out of the soft cedar wood.
After I built it last year, all I used was my garden hose and a deck cleaner with a stiff driveway brush to remove the mill coating and then BRUSHED on the stain.
My question is should I do the same thing this year to remove the current stain or do you recommend another course of action? Thanks! I'll hang up now and listen...:mj07:

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Will be re-doing my cedar deck soon. I know I can't use a power washer as it will tear the crap out of the soft cedar wood.
After I built it last year, all I used was my garden hose and a deck cleaner with a stiff driveway brush to remove the mill coating and then BRUSHED on the stain.
My question is should I do the same thing this year to remove the current stain or do you recommend another course of action? Thanks! I'll hang up now and listen...:mj07:

if you put down two coats you shouldn't have to stain it at all..

why are you staining just one year later..:shrug:

these folks at Behr are awesome if you want a real quick answer to all paint and staining jobs

Mon. - Fri., 5:00 am to 8:00 pm PST
Sat. - Sun., 6:00 am to 5:00 pm PST
1-800-854-0133 ext. 2

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
if you put down two coats you shouldn't have to stain it at all..

why are you staining just one year later..:shrug:

these folks at Behr are awesome if you want a real quick answer to all paint and staining jobs

Mon. - Fri., 5:00 am to 8:00 pm PST
Sat. - Sun., 6:00 am to 5:00 pm PST
1-800-854-0133 ext. 2

Because I listened to my father-in-law and used that shitty Thompson's water seal and only put down one coat. :facepalm:

It didn't take long for the stain to start to fade and then it started to peel this summer. I will be using Cabot this time.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Because I listened to my father-in-law and used that shitty Thompson's water seal and only put down one coat. :facepalm:

It didn't take long for the stain to start to fade and then it started to peel this summer. I will be using Cabot this time.

I suggest you strip..clean and stain ..

I am not familar w/ Cabot ..

I would stronly suggest a call to Behr for the input..

Doesn't take 10 minutes and they can tell you the very best course of action.

here is Cabot info ..

appear to be top notch as well.

CABOT
<DL><DT>Technical Hotline within the US and Canada</DT><DD>1-800-US-STAIN
(1-800-877-8246)</DD></DL> good luck...if you are stripping and you haven't done it before be sure to watch the video and or read the label carefully..Stripping can go easy or hard..Easy is when it comes off like melting lava..hint...try not to work in direct sunlight..and a cool surface helps alot

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
I suggest you strip..clean and stain ..

I am not familar w/ Cabot ..

I would stronly suggest a call to Behr for the input..

Doesn't take 10 minutes and they can tell you the very best course of action.

here is Cabot info ..

appear to be top notch as well.

CABOT
<DL><DT>Technical Hotline within the US and Canada</DT><DD>1-800-US-STAIN
(1-800-877-8246)</DD></DL> good luck...if you are stripping and you haven't done it before be sure to watch the video and or read the label carefully..Stripping can go easy or hard..Easy is when it comes off like melting lava..hint...try not to work in direct sunlight..and a cool surface helps alot

Neighbor has used the Cabot brands for years and swears by it. Had he known that I was going to use Thompson's he would came over and stopped me. Thanks for your help....:toast:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg