Deion Branch

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
At 4:00 PM the patriots released this statement:

"No trade has been consummated. Deion Branch remains under contract to the New England Patriots."

Branch could now sit out until november...Is this another drew rosenhaus type agent getting into a players ear?

Irish

Green&Orange
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2004
OH
Louddog
I think it is just another way that NE management tells players they are all replaceable and should play out their contract. I think it is the same thing as Lawer Malloy..... Just not allowing guys to dictate their pay. Just my thought, because I haven't heard his agent come out about this yet and Drew would have held a press confrence by now.
Cheers
Irish

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
The Patriots offered Branch a three-year, $18.75 million contract which he turned down.

The jets and seahawks offered 36 and 39 million, but spread out over six years. Which if you do the math is about the same per year. Also it seems that neither team was willing to part with the two first round picks as compensation..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

acehistr8

Senior Pats Fan
Forum Member
Jun 20, 2002
Northern VA
At first this week it was thought that Branch would fire his agent. The Pats offered, I believe, 3/18 and 5/30 - which is about the same average as the other deals. And as you know in the NFL you can get cut at any time.

I dont know, without Chad Jackson they are really hurting at WR. But Brady looks great, he's got two stud TE's, Dillon/Maroney in the backfield, and he's always been one to find 8 or 9 different receivers per game.

I'd be happier if he signed, but I dont think its the end of the world without him. Its not like he ever put up gawdy irreplaceable numbers. I mean this is a guy who had 998 yards and 5 tds last year, 454 the year before. :shrug: How is this guy worth $40M? Brady will make any one of the guys left a stud, any one of these guys could have 1000 yards. Have to trust in Pioli/Belichick, their track record speaks for itself, no one is above the team.

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
I sort of agreed with richard seymour when he held out because he truely is the best at his position..but deion branch??

shamrock

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Boston, MA
ace, everything you say is pretty on target, except branch is without question far and away Patriots #1 receiver. Brady spreads the ball beautifully, but Caldwell, and Childress are very weak receivers. Troy Brown at 36 is far and away best receiver with branch missing. It's true Watson will be a force this season, but lacks speed to consistently get deep and stretch defense.

Branch is a little better than you alluded, specially in big games, he was super bowl MVP once, and could have been twice, as he had 11 catches in each super bowl. I have attended at probably 8 or 9 practices this summer and believe me they need branch, Brady has even publicly lobbied for Patriots to sign him. Hopefully they get it done before the 10th. Their offense line is by far the best Brady has had, also are positioned well at te & rb as you state. But Brown is the only guy consistently catching the ball in practice, and he has you know is well along in years, Childress is ok also, but no experience and smaller than branch or Brown. Caldwell has struggled all camp, and I've heard the coaches really like Jackson, but with his hamstring, he has barely practiced at all, and is way behind mentally and physically. Hopefully branch gets in camp, he is getting bad advice from agent. Mainly he is upset because of the money he has seen David Patton & David givens make the last two seasons from Washington & Tennessee, as he correctly feels he is much better player than either of these two, who both got giant contracts recently. Branch just needs to play this season & get paid next year with new contract.

Go a Patriots

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

cooz3

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
boston
usually in NFL i side with the player because contracts are not guaranteed...but I side with Pats in this one...they offered him a more than resaonable deal...and I see no reason to accomodate him based upon Titans and redskins mistakes..Make no mistake I like him as a player and i think he fits this system to a T..but i think he may be in for a rude awakening when Brady is not throwing him the ball..

cooz

shamrock

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Like I said, his agent is giving him bad advice. But Patriots really need him, although signing Gabriel helps New England.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

acehistr8

Senior Pats Fan
Forum Member
Jun 20, 2002
Northern VA
I like him too and his personality fits on the Pats, nice guy and good locker room character. But the bottom line is that his numbers arent worthy of a Randy Moss like contract, they just arent. Hes never even caught 1000 yards in a season - OK close last year - and 5 TDs last year? Come on now, 30M/5 years is a damn good offer for a receiver of his caliber, especially if 36M/6 is the other offer! Maybe if he had posted a couple of 1400, 1500 yard seasons and double digit TDs. But his stats, well, suck for someone whos holding themselves out as a #1 guy:

Year G Yds TD
2003 15 803 3
2004 9 454 4
2005 16 998 5

Really? For a number one guy?

Reality is that Brady is a great QB and will have 8-10 guys to throw to this year. Its just not a team or a system that needs a #1 receiver, they have a bunch of 1a, 1b, 1c guys and thats enough. Especially with Ben Watson and Daniel Graham at TE and Dillon and Maroney at RB. Branch is not a necessary piece of this team. Yes they are better with him, but not so much better that you hold yourself over a fire. Pioli and Belichick are pretty smart about this kind of thing, gotta think they like the team they have on the field.

Agree about Gabriel too, 6-3 guy, love this signing. And when Chad Jackson FINALLY plays, I think this WR corps will be just fine. Jackson is sick on Madden 07 by the way

Last edited:

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
patrots picked up what was to become the raiders #2 this year in doug gabriel. funny thing is that 2 years ago gabriel had less receptions but more yardage than branch himself. I think the pats realized they must be ready and willing to go the season without branch.