Deutsche Bank SAP Open

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

steved

Forum Member
Feb 9, 2002
teddington. uk
Ever mindful of useless info regarding Clarke last week, I go for repeat of same medicine...after all I picked Toms two weeks ago!
Dazza's form on the track (17/3/4/2/15) inspires some confidence, and I hope he has one of his hot week's rather than more cold...
Having used the word 'hope' the 25/1 was just enough...

milpalm

Forum Member
Mar 12, 2002
Lillestrom, Norway
Some tempting prices with Ladbrokes this week. Lawrie at 40/1 seems fair given his current form. Good course record as well.
Dredge looks overpriced at 66/1. He has shown that he can compete with the top guys.

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Ditto Milpalm :)

Outright plays (1.5 units):

Retief Goosen to win 20/1 e.w. @ SkyBet
Goosen looked disinterested last week after his slow start and it is something of which he is certainly guilty, but he would not be the two-time European Order of Merit winner if he was not one of the best players in Europe. He has had five top-5 finishes this year already and has finished ahead of Tiger on many occasions; he will not be fazed by him. With good course form from 1996-2000 when he was a lesser player, this could be a very different week to last week from the South African. 22/1 is available, but the six-place offer at SkyBet is tempting.

Paul Lawrie to finish in the top-six 6/1 @ SkyBet
Woods has been beaten in Europe before and he may be again this week, but the odds are very much in favour of a place-only finish for the last two selections. Lawrie has shown good form in his last three events, finishing 3rd last week and in the top-15 in the BellSouth Classic and the Masters. With top-15 finishes on the last two occasions that this event has played at Gut Kaden, it all points to a solid week from the Scot. He really shouldn't be too far from the leaderboard this week and although 7/1 is available with Five Dimes, the extra place with SkyBet is worth the reduction in price.

Bradley Dredge to finish in the top-six 8/1 @ SkyBet
It is less clear-cut that the reduction in price relative to Five Dimes (10/1) for the extra place is worth it, but he is rather less experienced than Lawrie in being in contention in such marquee events. He missed the cut in 1998 and 2000, but he is a very different player now and carried his excellent form in the Portuguese events into the Benson & Hedges event last week. He stumbled a little over the weekend, but could have finished much higher and can certainly compete with the best of the European Tour.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

steved

Forum Member
Feb 9, 2002
teddington. uk
adding ew Gonzalez 80/1 (VC, missed 100...)..
The rough is down (to compensate the poor darlings for the dodgy greens), so should suit speedy, it's a pity they could not take out a few trees, and fill in a few bunkers...then I really would have a price..

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
Matchup plays (1.5 units unless stated):

Richard Green to beat Andrew Coltart -111 @ Ladbrokes and SIA
Opposing Coltart who did manage to break his run of five consecutive missed cuts when he played in the Madeira Island Open, but he has continued to struggle since with just one round in the 60s in his last three events. Green has six of his last ten rounds in the 60s and should bounce back from a missed cut last week.

Peter O'Malley to beat Andrew Coltart -150 @ Pinnacle
O'Malley also missed the cut last week after a poor 2nd round in difficult conditions. He had just finished in the top-10 in the Italian Open the previous week in his first start in Europe this season (he had been the leader at the cut), so his current form is good and his course form is also much better. Bigger price, but a good chance to oppose a player out of form.

Paul Lawrie to beat Brian Davis -110 @ Bet365 and BlueSq
Difficult to oppose Davis at the moment as he has finished in the top-10 in each of his last four events, but will do so with an outright selection in comparable form and a good player in big events. Lawrie also has the better course form and while this course was last used in 2000, he also leads Davis 5-1-0 h2h in events in Germany since Gut Kaden was last used.

Brian Davis to beat Charl Schwartzel -125 @ BetandWin [3 units]
Much happier to side with Davis at the moment and will gladly do so in opposing Schwartzel again. Did so last week with Owen, but he missed the cut and can't see that happening to Davis and making the weekend should be enough. In the last two weekends, Schwartzel has shot rounds of 78-71-80-80! He's never the played the course or even in Germany, so an easy option with the Englishman.

Bradley Dredge to beat Lee Westwood -141 @ Pinnacle
Westwood won the last two times that this course was used, but that was an age ago. Westwood has made his last two cuts, but he is very long way from the player that won on this course and even in his latest renaissance, he has failed to break par in his last five rounds. Will oppose another out-of-form player with an outright selection.

Boags

Forum Member
Apr 28, 2003
Australia
Goin with: {all 1 e/w)
Goosen at $21
Lawrie at $34
Dredge at$41
Davis at $41
Monty at $23

Obviously need to open some new accounts 4 prices!:)

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Boags

Forum Member
Apr 28, 2003
Australia
addig;
72s
Dredge/immleman
Davis/Fasth
Dredge/Langer
Green/Coltart
S.Hansen/Leaney

+plus first round crazy-play Harrington ov woods/Cabera
1 at 3.25;) ;)

Last edited:

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
The effort to share information means it is best not to assume that everyone looking to wager is aware of the condition of the greens at Gut Kaden:

"The severe attack of Fusarium patch disease which affected all the greens last October, is still very much in evidence and will not grow out by the tournament," Garland (European Tour's Director of Tour Openerations, David Garland) told the European Tour's official website.

"The outbreak was immediately followed by a very cold winter and spring with temperatures still around freezing as recently as mid-April. Growth is still very slow due to the weather experienced in continental Hamburg over the last number of weeks."

But despite the outbreak, Garland insisted that serious measures will be taken to minimalise the interference of the disease.

"The course set up has been softened to compensate for the weak greens and to have a level of consistency in the roughs. The selection of pin positions during the week will be located in the areas of green least affected by disease."

"Please be assured that The European Tour, Gut Kaden Golf Club and the Tournament Promoter continue to take all necessary actions to ensure that the conditions for the tournament will be the best they possibly can be, but will not be to the expected standard . . ."

And the latest I've heard . . . Bernhard Langer after rain wrought further havoc with greens affected by Fusarium patch disease. "We are playing on grass and we are dealing with nature," he advised his colleagues. Later, John Paramor, the chief referee, decided that the players could not deal with nature unassisted. For the first time they would be allowed to move a ball which came to rest within "an easily identifiable patch".
---------- ---------- ----------

OUTRIGHTS:

Paul Casey(22/1) for 0.60* e.w. @ Bet365
Two wins and five top tens in his last seven European Tour events. Quoting Peter McEvoy: "When he's good, he'll be very good." I'll have to buy into the proposition that young Casey is not cut from the usual cloth in order to buck convention and ask him to sustain the momentum of a smashing victory for four full rounds the following week when you are usually unable to catch it lasting beyond the first round.

Brian Davis(50/1) for 0.60* e.w. @ 5dimes
Giving Davis the nod over a couple of lefties, Nick O'Hern and Richard Green. While all three players are showing signs of good form, Davis seems the most capable, but more importantly, he has the angles of answering his DQ from last year (I don't know the reason for the DQ, and although it dawned on me late last night that an answer was likely available by soliciting input from the forum crew, my time constraints make it too late for that now), and the foundation of a career moment of playing well at the St. Leon-Rot Deutsche Bank venue in 1999 while paired with Woods in the final round.

Paul Lawrie(33/1) for 0.60* e.w. @ Bet365
I do prefer Lawrie on heaving terrain over the flatish character (I believe) of this venue. Nevertheless, Lawrie is on good form and unsatiated by victory as of yet this year, so a big event in Europe with less than ideal weather or course conditions seems worth another spin of the wheel after a profitable play last week.

Jean Van De Velde(125/1) for 0.60* e.w. @ 5dimes
Needless to say, any mere trifle is often enough for me to take a swing for the fences. A player slowed by injury but with his mind on his game and on a course that may suit could easily launch a dozen cliches. There are ample precedents for occasions in which competitive rust is not a crippling condition. While the condition of the greens produced initial skepticism, the better thought is that Van De Velde might be my first choice to putt across a gravel parking lot. Simply put, when presented with a rich vein of angles, I don't know when I would stop beating myself up if Van De Velde made headlines this week and I was not leading the cheers. Go well my friend - I'll keep a candle burning - God Bless and God Damn.

GL

---------- ---------- ----------

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
3 BALL PARLAY: Faldo(+120) over Fulke/Atwal WITH Immelman(+188) over Clarke/Langer for 1* @ 5.33/1 @ Bet365

I was late to the dinner table with Harrington To Win for 1* e.w. at +500 or something close to it.

Either play feels like I'm getting a wee better run for the money than Sorenstam(+375) to make the cut at Colonial.

GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Boags

Forum Member
Apr 28, 2003
Australia
Need another 18 hole special to make up 4 appaling 72s outlook.
Gallacher over Gonzo,Wessels 1 at 3.5

Boags

Forum Member
Apr 28, 2003
Australia
Mid-point;
72s 1-3:mad: -2.2
18s 2-0:cool: +4.75
Need Goosen and Lawrie to fire over weekend boys!!!!!:Yep:

Stanley

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
Manchester, England
www.tour-tips.com
2nd round update: 1-0-1; +1.50 units

Montgomerie/Clarke TIED (Push)
O'Malley/Hansen WON by 4

Mid-point update:

Green/Coltart Trails by 6
O'Malley/Coltart All Square
Lawrie/Davis WON by 11
Davis/Schwartzel TIED (Lost)
Dredge/Westwood TIED (Push)

Goosen 2nd
Lawrie 7th
Dredge mc

Hopeful position with the outrights. Goosen can apply the pressure on Harrington over the weekend and Lawrie is just one place of a top-6 winning position. Frustrated with the matchups though. In the double-play, Davis managed to bogey both the par-fives in the last four holes to end up in a tie with Schwartzel and that's a loss with BetandWin.

3rd round play (1.5 units):

Warren Bennett to beat Peter Baker -127 @ Five Dimes

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Boags

Forum Member
Apr 28, 2003
Australia
Final round Sweep!!
Casey ov Coltart win +1
Fasth ov wall win +1
Parlay win +3.2

Final Update:
72s 1-4 -3.2
18s 4-0 +6.75
18 parlays 1-0 +3.2
Outrights 2-4 +1.75

Total; +8.5
No bloody t.v coverage here so had to sweat it in on net.Pity Retief couldnt birdie 17th.
Next week televised here so bring it on!!