Diamondbacks @ Padres preview and pick!

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Champion Plays

Forum Member
Jul 8, 2002
Las Vegas
Not even the All-Star break could cool off the surging Arizona Diamondbacks.

Following a 9-1 rout of San Diego Padres last night Arizona have won 20 of their last 26. At 53-42 (.558) overall they are five games behind the San Francisco Giants and have done an outstanding job in covering numerous injuries including Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson who have spent most of the season on the disabled list.

Miguel Batista (6-4, 3.00 ERA) takes to the mound for the Diamondbacks and he is 3-1 over his last six starts. The 32 year-old Dominican hurler has struck out 37 batters while issuing just 11 walks during this stretch. His last appearance was his only loss in his last eight starts and we look for him to bounce back strong tonight.

Bob Brenly gets the night off as he begins serving a two-game suspension for angrily tossing a ball into the stands at Phoenix last week but we don't expect his absence to have any effect on tonight's result.

The last-placed Padres have lost four straight to drop back to 35-62 (.361) overall.

Right-hander Brian Lawrence has lost three of his last five starts and overall this season is 5-10 with a 4.45 ERA. The Padres have won just six of his 20 starts this season and that .300 team record pales into comparison with Arizona's 11-4 (.733) winning rate when Batista takes to the mound.

The Padres are just 5-16 recently against the Diamondbacks and have won just 18 of 48 home games this season.

Arizona laying just -130 tonight is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Recommended Play: Diamondbacks -130

THE HITMAN

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2001
HOLLYWOOD, FL
Champ.........thanks for all of your write ups. My guess is that you are having a good year as your posts do nicely.
I like all the theories and angles of this game for Ariz. One thing has me short of pulling the big trigger, tho, and it is Lawrence had a complete game in his last & only outing against the Diamondbacks, giving up only one run. So, Maybe I will take a nap & see what I think later........can't back SD, so it is Ariz. or pass, more than likely Ariz. for 1 unit.
GL............THE HITMAN