Doc's Big 10 game of year released this week

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Turfgrass

Forum Member
Sep 26, 2002
Raleigh
This is what I found looking around for you.

Doc?s Big Ten Update
The Iowa Hawkeyes are smelling something! Could that be the refreshing smell of Roses? It certainly could be the year for the ?Hawks' to journey to the Rose
Bowl, however for that to happen, Iowa must win their final three games
and Ohio State must lose at least one game. Iowa took care of business on Saturday as they beat Michigan 34-9 at Ann Arbor. Brad Banks threw for three touchdowns and the ?Hawks' moved the ball on the ground, at will. The game was much closer than the final score indicates. In the third quarter, with the score 10-9, Markus Curry fumbled a punt return and after that the ?Hawks' scored the next 21 points. For Michigan, the loss was their worst at home since 1967. This week Iowa returns home against Wisconsin. They haven't beaten the Badgers since 1996. The Badgers ended their three game losing streaks, beating Michigan State on the road, 42-24. QB Brooks Bollinger had an good game, as he passed for three touchdowns and rushed for two. Tail back Anthony Davis also had a good game, as he had 120 yards in the first half alone.

As bad as Michigan State was, the Badgers deserve credit for not being
in that same state of mind. With their season reduced to a hunt for a minor bowl, the Badgers could have been reeling too. It was the complete opposite, and they no longer look like a team in trouble. The big test will come this week as to how far this team returns. The oddsmakers have made Iowa an 8? point favorite, a line well deserved.

The team that has a real problem is Michigan State. This was a team
that was picked to contend for the Big Ten title. Actually, it was the
"Coaches Choice." Last week the Spartans lost QB Jeff Smoker because of team violations. Against Wisconsin, the Spartans were penalized eight times for 91 yards, in the first half. Three of those penalties were personal
fouls. Frustrations . . . trouble continues!

As for this week, Michigan State is on the road against In-State
rival, Michigan. Installed as a 14? point underdog. That hardly seems
like enough with all the troubles this team has incurred. Not so
fast! This may be the team's last stand. Reports are, most of the
players want Coach Williams to stay. Could this be an all out effort to
save his job? It's certainly hard to back this team, as bad as they are
playing. Gut feeling? They will hang around here.

As for the Spartan's opponent, Michigan, the Wolverines will have to
rebound after that loss to Iowa. The ground game has been a major
problem all year. Against Iowa the ?Wolves' had only 22 yards in 20
attempts. The just don't have the big bruising backs of the typical
Wolverine teams of old.

In other Big Ten action, Purdue pounded Northwestern, 42-13. The
Boilermakers had 407 yards on the ground against that ?Wildcat' defense,
that has the worst run defense in Division 1-A. The "Cats" are back home this week against Indiana. As of this writing, no line has been posted. A tough game to handicap, however there seems to be more incentive for the Hoosiers.
Indiana saw the lights go out early as Illinois had a 35-0 halftime
lead. Antonio Harris ran for a career high for the Illini, as he rushed
for 176 yards. Illinois QB Dustin Ward, making his second start since being benched earlier in the season, threw for two touchdowns, and 16 of 23 for 197
yards. The Illini will be on the road this week against Penn State.

The ?Nittany Lions' had a tough loss against Ohio State. The "Bucks"
shut down Penn State's offense as they had only eight first down, 81
yards rushing and 98 yards passing. The hero for Ohio State was Chris Gamble. Gamble began the game as a two-way starter, at wide receiver and as a defensive back. Playing defense, Gamble picked off a ?Nittany Lions' pass and ran 40 yards for a touchdown, which was the difference in the game. Gamble's start on both sides of the ball was the first time since Paul Warfield did it in 1963.

As for this week's game against Illinois, one has to believe Penn State
needs this one, or no bowl hopes. The first quarter will be important
for Illinois. They must stay close, or it could be a reversal of last
week's game with Indiana. I look for this game to be a high-scoring
affair.

Ohio State is back home again against Minnesota. This could be one of
the more interesting games in the Big Ten. The Gophers have had an extra
week to prepare. They have lost only one game thus far this year, and
that was to Purdue. However as one looks at their schedule, it's a soft
one to say the least.

One very interesting note about this game. Minnesota's Head Coach,
Mason, has always had his team fired up for the ?Bucks". The reason?
Mason wanted the Ohio State job but was denied. The ?Bucks' have been tagged as an 11? point favorite. We'll certainly spend more time on this encounter.

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
I should have it tomorrow. I have been looking at the Big Ten games, and none of the spreads look like that far off. I am really interested to see what this game is. If I had to guess, I would say Ohio State. Its hard to lay that many points in a GOY b/c of the backdoor cover I would think. Unless Doc has some of the "inside" info he proclaims to have. But I will have the official one tomorrow sometime...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
could be michigan

could be michigan

mich st is in chaos....another starter suspended tonight(def end)...michigan has been pointing to this game since last year`s "clock" game....mich st starting a guy with very little experience at qb....if wisconsin and minny smoked `em at state,i believe michigan and their tough defense will win comfortably and maybe rub it in a little for last year....state doesn`t run very well...take rogers away and it`s goodbye charlie.....

Captain Crunch

Forum Member
Apr 22, 2002
Lee's Summit, Mo.
Marra, a poster at another site I go to says he will have it tomorrow morning. If you don't have it by the time I get it, I will post it for you. I know someone else here was inquiring about it the other day. Good Luck

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
One thing for sure unless Doc has gone nuts. He will never ask a bad team to cover a GOY. So Indy, NWest, Ill, are out unless played against. I don't think he will go near a game with Mg St at this time. You have no way to capp how Mg St wil play with all the problems thay are haveing.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
dlv

dlv

why wouldn`t you include mich st in yout list of bad teams...the last time they played reasonably well,was against woeful northwestern at home a month ago.....i think mich st has been consistently bad vs good competition....doesn`t appear to me that they`re that hard to read right now....and what`s going on now shouldn`t make them better...of course,that doesn`t guarantee that michigan covers 15.5...

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
You have to be a little carefull. Mich/Mich St. They just hate each other. This is close to Alabama/ Aub, Mich/Oh St. I agree with you the way Mich St has played this year it seems easy, play Mich. I think I will stay off the game.

Doubledown21

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 24, 2002
Just a little information about the DOC. I was a client of his since 1978. Use to use him for numbers and his big games. Used to book. He was very good. About 5 years ago one of his top handicappers left. His name was Denny. He went to ATS sports. Seems like ever since then the Doc has not done to well. Doc big ten game use to be legendery. I use to be in Las Vegas when the game went. The point swings were wild. Vegas uses to fear him not any more.I was personally on his 17 year streak! All I am saying is be careful. If you check his selections from week to week, not very good. About 2 weeks ago he droped 42 units over the weekend. The game used to be money in the bank (LOCK), not any more.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

michaeljbird

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2002
Little Rock,Ar.
Doubledown 21 is right.I was there during the good times.It did go bad in the late 90's.I can't put any value in Doc's pick anymore.I think it's a good idea to go the other way if public jump's on the bandwagon.WATCH OUT!!!!!!!:eek:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
I agree with much that is said above. I brought this to everyones attention 3/4 weeks back. Dam near got killed for saying anything. Doc lost both of his top cappers. A third one left with one of the top two to open ASA out of Madison Wisconsin. They have been very good on there big games since they opened. A its not easy to get there plays unless someone who pays for them is willing to share.

sdf

Forum Member
Mar 22, 2002
i guess someone can confirm tomorrow but i got word it was
Michigan

michaeljbird

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2002
Little Rock,Ar.
doc ?

doc ?

I'm using common sense here but looking at the line changes,doc's Big 10 GOY has to be Mich St. ,outside shot of it being Iowa.........We'll see

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Venom boy

Forum Member
Nov 1, 2001
R.I.
Have a hunch it's got to be IOWA , line has already jumped from 8 to 9.5 at the 3 offshore places I use!! just my opinion

pt1gard

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 7, 2002
seattle
if doc is 3-5

if doc is 3-5

in his last 8 GOYs

why does anyone care?

in fact WTF am I doin here? ... oops, exit stage left,

snagglepuss

:shrug: ;)