MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Hi Folks.

I know wiring is not a hobby.

As a new homeowner, I'm also very cheap.

Here goes nothing:

Have a plug in the bedroom. Behind the plug is crawlspace. Have verified this. What I would like to do is keep that plug, but splice off of it, and wire a light (operated by light switch ideally, would do pull switch (feel this is probably MUCH easier)) into the bedroom closet. The closet is big enough, and the lighting in the room sucks enough to justify putting one in.

Is this:
A. A job for a professional, after all, there's a reason electricians need to be licensed.
B. So simple it hurts most of you guys to read it.
C. Relatively simple.
D. None of the Above.

If you would say it's relatively feasible, please rate on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being least difficult, and 10 being most difficult.

Keep in mind I had to return a dimmer switch b/c I didn't know there was a difference between standard and 3 way switches :facepalm:

I do know to turn off the fuse before I start work :0074

TIA!

DuckDogs

Registered
Forum Member
Sep 26, 2011
Hi Folks.

Here goes nothing:

Have a plug in the bedroom. Behind the plug is crawlspace. Have verified this. What I would like to do is keep that plug, but splice off of it, and wire a light (operated by light switch ideally, would do pull switch (feel this is probably MUCH easier)) into the bedroom closet. The closet is big enough, and the lighting in the room sucks enough to justify putting one in.

Is this:
A. A job for a professional, after all, there's a reason electricians need to be licensed.
C. Relatively simple.
D. None of the Above.

If you would say it's relatively feasible, please rate on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being least difficult, and 10 being most difficult.

Keep in mind I had to return a dimmer switch b/c I didn't know there was a difference between standard and 3 way switches :facepalm:

TIA!

The house still has fuses? If so, that is some old wiring - I would have it done if you have absolutely no wiring experience.

I wired a room off my garage that I turned into a secondary mancave with a bar, but I had a buddy that knew what he was doing to show me how.

It's pretty straight forward to do what you are talking about - but without any experience with it, not worth the risk IMO.

Penguinfan

Thread banned
Forum Member
Dec 5, 2001
Vanished into vortex
Here's the thing, electricity is VERY unforgiving if you make a mistake. If you really have no experience then simply don't do it. Something you have no idea is dangerous can honestly kill you when messing with electricity or cause a fire, etc....

What you are describing is not a project that requires a professional. If you know someone that understands wiring then have them do it for you.

Please, if you don't know what you are doing then please don't do it.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Have basic wiring understanding. Some friends can help. Figured I'd put it out there as well. Basically I need to set up a new "junction box" from the wire now and splice accordingly.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Have basic wiring understanding. Some friends can help. Figured I'd put it out there as well. Basically I need to set up a new "junction box" from the wire now and splice accordingly.

You tube has the answer. :0008

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006

easy enuff to do..you can web search how to do it as mentioned..

now the smart thing to do is get the materials yourself..all within code..

then shop for a certified master electrican to show you how to install it..

best places are Lowes and HomeDepot ..ask the folks at the pro desk for the great old codger who does great work and still enjoys helping folks..just about one at every local outlet that gets his supplies at either store..

70.00 cash for the hour to teach ya..should get his attention.

lotta stuff around the home doesn't require the homeowner to be a master craftsman at that particular job.

what it does require is the want to do something yourself,as you do and then proceding with the job with someone qualified to teach you the first time around.

it's a great project..just like learning how to erect fencing and build decks..things at this home and then homes you live in later in life.

good luck w/the project..

safety first..then knockout the job..

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
edit...i don`t think that`s what you wanted...

i`m guessing that the crawlspace is the end of the wiring circuit?..

fdc helped me out with some wiring issues i had......i know a little...but he seemed pretty well versed....and it worked out well...

maybe he`ll weigh in or you could get his e mail from jackula......

Last edited:

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
Hi Folks.

Here goes nothing:

Is this:
C. Relatively simple.
D. None of the Above.

TIA!

You can piggy back a light socket into the closet off the back of the outlet if you want to but in all honesty I would put a tap light in it and call it good. The lights are rechargeable and cheaper than the wiring job;

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PaSprint

Forum Member
Jan 2, 2007
Central PA
easy enuff to do..you can web search how to do it as mentioned..

now the smart thing to do is get the materials yourself..all within code..

then shop for a certified master electrican to show you how to install it..

best places are Lowes and HomeDepot ..ask the folks at the pro desk for the great old codger who does great work and still enjoys helping folks..just about one at every local outlet that gets his supplies at either store..

70.00 cash for the hour to teach ya..should get his attention.

lotta stuff around the home doesn't require the homeowner to be a master craftsman at that particular job.

what it does require is the want to do something yourself,as you do and then proceding with the job with someone qualified to teach you the first time around.

it's a great project..just like learning how to erect fencing and build decks..things at this home and then homes you live in later in life.

good luck w/the project..

safety first..then knockout the job..

Old School I think you are one of the most noble posters on this site but in this instance I respectfully disagree.
Asking a professional to do work for you after you've acquired all the material (no matter what task we are talking about) is a major slap in the face in my opinion.
Would you go to your neighbors house and mow/trim his 2 acre lawn for 20 bucks if he supplied the mower and weed eater?
Most of you know, I work in the auto industry. I don't know what it is about working on cars, but everyone seems to be a genius. "Hey, I'll bring the parts and you can put em on"
No... no you won't. If you have the capability to obtain the correct part to fix your car, you can damn well install it yourself too. Back in the day I did do this. I can't tell you how many times I'd have something apart and open the box and low and behold... wrong parts. Now I have an unusable lift with a disabled car until I get the right parts. Think about it... I doubt Saint would clean my teeth if I brought the supplies to do it at 1/2 the cost. I doubt the accountants would do my taxes at half price if I brought the calculator, pencil and paper. I doubt Jack takes one of those Schwans burgers into McDonalds and asks them to cook it for a quarter.
I know today is all about trying to save a buck. But damn thats just plain disrespectful.

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Old School I think you are one of the most noble posters on this site but in this instance I respectfully disagree.
Asking a professional to do work for you after you've acquired all the material (no matter what task we are talking about) is a major slap in the face in my opinion.
Would you go to your neighbors house and mow/trim his 2 acre lawn for 20 bucks if he supplied the mower and weed eater?
Most of you know, I work in the auto industry. I don't know what it is about working on cars, but everyone seems to be a genius. "Hey, I'll bring the parts and you can put em on"
No... no you won't. If you have the capability to obtain the correct part to fix your car, you can damn well install it yourself too. Back in the day I did do this. I can't tell you how many times I'd have something apart and open the box and low and behold... wrong parts. Now I have an unusable lift with a disabled car until I get the right parts. Think about it... I doubt Saint would clean my teeth if I brought the supplies to do it at 1/2 the cost. I doubt the accountants would do my taxes at half price if I brought the calculator, pencil and paper. I doubt Jack takes one of those Schwans burgers into McDonalds and asks them to cook it for a quarter.
I know today is all about trying to save a buck. But damn thats just plain disrespectful.

I understand your thoughts and reasoning..and I respect those as well.

But for me and those I teach..to get thing done the right way without paying full price it is what I do..

I seldom if ever pay full price for anything..I find those who are masters at the craft to do work for me and teach me as well.

When these same folks need laborers or equipment they know they need only ask and I have brawn and machine at the door and ready to bust ass.

Granddady say.."Never pay full price and always ask for 2% cash."

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Neigboors get FREE work each and every year.

it's part of business as usual.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PaSprint

Forum Member
Jan 2, 2007
Central PA
I understand your thoughts and reasoning..and I respect those as well.

But for me and those I teach..to get thing done the right way without paying full price it is what I do..

I seldom if ever pay full price for anything..I find those who are masters at the craft to do work for me and teach me as well.

When these same folks need laborers or equipment they know they need only ask and I have brawn and machine at the door and ready to bust ass.

Granddady say.."Never pay full price and always ask for 2% cash."

Old School I didn't mean not going out of your way to help out a friend. I can't tell you how many "favors" I've done for friends and people I like over the years.
"Hey, my check engine light is on, will you scan it?" Sure, I'll do that. "What do I owe ya" Nothin...get out of here.
I highly doubt that if Joe Schmo you've never met before, knocked on your door some Sunday morning asking for cheap lawncare, you'd throw your cap on and be ready to bust ass.
Don't take this wrong OS. I'm not cheap shotting you here, I'm just trying to show you my point of view.

Cricket

sporadic wins
Forum Member
Nov 25, 2005
WNY
I Bought battery operated,motion sensor lights for a dark stairwell. Sounds like you could use these in your closet. Mount one or two of them. They are fairly bright and go off themselves in about a minute.
Search-- Wireless motion lights, LED on amazon I think they were about $7

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Old School I didn't mean not going out of your way to help out a friend. I can't tell you how many "favors" I've done for friends and people I like over the years.
"Hey, my check engine light is on, will you scan it?" Sure, I'll do that. "What do I owe ya" Nothin...get out of here.
I highly doubt that if Joe Schmo you've never met before, knocked on your door some Sunday morning asking for cheap lawncare, you'd throw your cap on and be ready to bust ass.
Don't take this wrong OS. I'm not cheap shotting you here, I'm just trying to show you my point of view.

we are good...always........:0074