England v Argentina, Fri 7th June 12.30pm BST

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is expected to make one change to his starting line-up from the 11 who drew 1-1 against Sweden.

Manchester United midfielder Nicky Butt is set to bolster England's midfield with striker Darius Vassell dropping to the bench.

Emile Heskey will push up into attack alongside Michael Owen with Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves taking over in the problem position on the left.

Argentina will also make one change to the side which overpowered Nigeria in their opening game.

Kily Gonzalez comes into coach Marcelo Bielsa's side in place of Claudio Lopez.

Lazio midfielder Juan Pablo Sorin has recovered from a slight calf strain but Roberto Ayala remains sidelined.

Manchester United's Juan Sebastian Veron skippers the side in Ayala's absence.

The previous classic encounters - in 1966, 1986 and 1998 - are well documented, as is the two countries' history and rivalry.

And it should not be forgotten that the two nations were among the more impressive qualifiers.

Club versus country

The following clubmates could find themselves facing each other in this match:-

Manchester United
Juan Sebastian Veron (Arg), Wes Brown (Eng), David Beckham (Eng), Paul Scholes (Eng) and Nicky Butt (Eng)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH PREVIEW STATISTICS

WC = World Cup
WC 16 = World Cup - Round of the Last 16
JT = Jubilee Tournament
F = Friendly International
QF = Quarter-final
Gp = Group
* = Match abandoned
= Argentina won this game 4-3 on penalties, and is counted as an Argentina victory here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
09 May 1951 F England 2-1 Argentina
14 May 1953 F Argentina 3-1 England
17 May 1953 F* Argentina 0-0 England
02 Jun 1962 WC Gp D England 3-1 Argentina
06 Jun 1964 JT Argentina 1-0 England
23 Jul 1966 WC QF England 1-0 Argentina
22 May 1974 F England 2-2 Argentina
12 Jun 1977 F Argentina 1-1 England
13 May 1980 F England 3-1 Argentina
22 Jun 1986 WC QF Argentina 2-1 England
25 May 1991 F England 2-2 Argentina
30 Jun 1998 WC 16 Argentina 2-2 England
23 Feb 2000 F England 0-0 Argentina

MATCH SHORTS

Since winning the World Cup in 1966, England have only been eliminated in subsequent World Cups by (West) Germany or Argentina.
England haven't failed to negotiate the group stage since 1958.
Argentina's last failure in a group stage came in 1962.
Argentina and England have met at four previous World Cups. England have won twice, Argentina once and the last match was drawn.
Eleven of Argentina's 2002 squad played in the 1998 match between the two countries. Six of England's squad played in the 1998 game.
Two sendings off have occurred in the four World Cup matches between these two. Argentina's Rattin was red carded in 1966 and David Beckham went off last time.
England's Gareth Southgate will win his 50th international cap if he plays.
Diego Simeone, Walter Samuel (Argentina) and Sol Campbell (England) have all received one yellow card at this World Cup and will be suspended for the final group match should they receive another.
Argentina are unbeaten in 2002 while England have won only one of their six matches, four of which have been drawn.
England have scored in their last ten World Cup matches. This is the longest current run of scoring along with Denmark.
Argentina have scored in their last 24 matches (including friendlies) and are unbeaten in their last 18.
Gabriel Batistuta is aiming to be Argentina's top scorer for the third successive World Cup.

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
If god is good with the team of the rose, I think they will go to have a draw. Argentina was struggle vs Nigeria, just one goal, and was so suffer goal; but they should do some changes and adjust their lines to the rivalry game Vs England.

Monarch, what do you think about this play???

Argentina +0.5 ;)

good luck

Javier :D

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Javier, If I was able to view the game from a neutral perspective I would have to say Argentina are the better side on paper and should in all honesty beat us tomorrow. However, the rivalry between the 2 sides has grown to such an extent now that many basic factors become compromised. England wants this game badly and will give one hell of a fight. We are much better underdogs than favourites and I see the team coming out strong and battling for at least a draw.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
That is why I do not like the Argentina win side, because England will search the win all the game, and if they can't do it, they will draw, that's what I think, but the England win is so difficult on paper, and in the field. Well good luck! but that "god hand" or whatever is thought to beat :p

good luck, more comment will be appreciate it!!

P

Phil Turcotte

I dont know why the high price on England. All they have done is produce on the field in similar situations, and I look for a more mature Beckham here to pay big dividends.

***England +260
**Draw +200

Good luck to you all.

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
Phil: Yes, Beckham is more mature, BUT, if you go to see man to man both teams, Argentina is better, the weak of Argentina is their defense, but England old and current style is not so complicated, just need big men on the area. Take a look on Argentina team! :D

good luck

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
P

Phil Turcotte

I agree Javier, I just think this price is too high to pass up for what I perceive to be an even overall lineup.

This was somewhat my reasoning for betting the US at +600. While I honestly did not think they would win, it was too high a price to pass up for a team that is not as bad as the US press would have lead you to believe.

Either way, it should be hands down the best match so far.

Enjoy it!

-P

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
I think is very good to play like you do!! because you enjoy the upsets and do not cry when that happens!! :D

just for fun! :D

Javier

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
England and Argentina will write the latest chapter in one of international football's fiercest rivalries when they meet in the World Cup on Friday.

The Group F showdown is the biggest game so far in the 2002 tournament.

The two teams have a history of controversial World Cup clashes - the most recent in France 98 when Argentina won on penalties.

England need to avoid defeat in Sapporo to realistically keep their hopes alive, following the 1-1 draw in their opening game with Sweden.

Millions of people are expected to take the day of work in England so they can watch the lunchtime match.

Michael Owen insists England have nothing to prove against Argentina, but admits they must make instant amends for a disappointing start to their World Cup campaign.

Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is expected to replace Darius Vassell with Nicky Butt for the match underneath Sapporo's space-age Dome.

It will be the only change from the team that drew with Sweden.

Vassell impressed in that match but Eriksson is keen to switch Emile Heskey from the left flank to partner Michael Owen and use Butt to beef up his midfield.

Owen Hargreaves or Paul Scholes will be asked to fill the problem left flank spot in midfield.

Liverpool striker Owen believes England can put matters right when the pressure is on against Argentina.

He said: "I don't think we have got something to prove, but we have certainly got something to put right after the Sweden game.

"Everyone knows we can play better than that, but I think we have proved to everyone we can mix it with the best.

"I think there was a lot of disappointment in the camp after the first game.

"In many ways it was a good thing we were so disappointed because it showed we have got higher standards than those we set on the pitch.

"We must now look at it and say Argentina will bring the best out of us."

Eriksson knows England cannot afford to lose, but hinted a draw would not be a disaster.

He insisted: "I don't think we have to win at all costs, although obviously it would be very, very nice to win the game.

Nicky Butt will make his first World Cup start

"It is a very difficult game, a very important game and we know we have to get a result.

"We had hoped to win against Sweden last Sunday but we didn't, so the pressure is on us.

"But it is better to have this pressure than to be a bad football team and have no pressure at all."

Eriksson revealed England had worked on the lack of possession that had cost them dear against Sweden, but added that only time will tell if he has found the winning formula to end the World Cup curse against Argentina.

He said: "As a coach you always hope you have the answer, but we will only know if the answer has been found after 90 minutes on Friday.

"But we will have to play better football, not just for 45 minutes, over 90 minutes if we want to get a good result against Argentina."

England (probable): Seaman, Mills, Campbell, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham (captain) Scholes, Butt, Hargreaves, Heskey, Owen.

Argentina: Cavallero, Pochettino, Samuel, Placente, Zanetti, Simeone, Veron, Sorin, Ortega, Batistuta, Gonzalez.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

5H4RKY

Forum Member
Nov 13, 2001
I'm hoping the English will be wearing their alternate RED jerseys.
They are more than a match for the Argentines who did not impress me in their match against Nigeria. Argentina attacked for the majority of the game and had all sorts of problems trying to break down the Nigerian defence.They are sorely missing the playmaking skills of Ayala. Kily Gonzalez for Claudio Lopez won't make much of a difference.
English know they must take max points from this game after Sweden's win over Nigeria.
Can see a probable draw and a possible win for England.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Just gone midday in London. Whole country has ground to a halt. 25 mins to go. Am starting to feel sick :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.:eek: :eek: :D.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
What a performance from our boys . Everyone is going mad. Justice has finally come for all the heartache against Argentina in the past. The country will run out of beer in approximately 3 hrs. :D :D :eek: :D ::D. Nothing compares to the World Cup.

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
I was fall sleep at 3 a.m. here (halftime of Paraguay/Spain game), but now I wake up and I win a good parlay!

Spain (-200) and over (EVEN)
England (+260) and under (-120)!!
100 to win 1880

just for fun, but with great value!!

good luck!!

Javier:D

P.S. Congratulation Monarch!

P

Phil Turcotte

What a game, what a game.

Taking a look at tomorrows lineup right now, but what a GAME!

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Phil Turcotte said:
I dont know why the high price on England. All they have done is produce on the field in similar situations, and I look for a more mature Beckham here to pay big dividends.

***England +260
**Draw +200

Doesn't get much better than that Phil. Cheers for the support also BBC and KsYaS. Did u notice before the penalty some Argentina players trying to shake Beckhams hand and tell him which side to aim? Made it all the more sweeter when he drilled it down the centre.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Monarch --

could you briefly describe the goal.

I read that he hit it down the center but also that the argentine goalie didn't move. That didn't make much sense to me. I assumed the goalie guessed and dove one way or the other.

I'm at work and so have not had access to a clip of the goal.

thank you

P

Phil Turcotte

Thanks Monarch, always nice when it comes through like that!

The goal was just throttled down the middle. The goalie appeared to move slightly to his right, but I dont think he had a chance. Beckham was pumped after that goal! Looked like he was remembering the last WC and it hit him all at once.

Have the game on Tivo going to rewatch it tonight.

Also after rewatching the Sweden game, I think that they have a legitimate shot at beating Argentina! Dont quote me on that yet, but they are a fast, attacking team and seeing the Round of 16 in their sights, dont count them out and dont count Argentina in quite yet!