England v Denmark, Sat 15th June 7.30am ET

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Saturday's match comes almost exactly 10 years after the last competitive game between the two nations.

That 0-0 draw was the two sides' opening group match at Euro 92 in Sweden, a tournament Denmark went on to win.

The last time England won a competitive match between the pair was in 1979.

Denmark's last competitive success was in 1983, the only time the Danes have beaten England in any full international - friendly or competitive.

HEAD TO HEAD STATISTICS

WC Q = World Cup Qualifier
EC = European Championship
EC Q = European Championship Qualifier
F = Friendly International
Fu = Friendly International, but unofficial for England
* = played in Malmo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
05 May 1910 Fu Denmark 2-1 England
21 Oct 1911 Fu England 3-0 Denmark
05 Jun 1914 Fu Denmark 3-0 England
26 Sep 1948 F Denmark 0-0 England
02 Oct 1955 F Denmark 1-5 England
05 Dec 1956 WC Q England 5-2 Denmark
15 May 1957 WC Q Denmark 1-4 England
03 Jul 1966 F Denmark 0-2 England
01 Aug 1971 Fu Denmark 3-2 England
03 May 1972 Fu Denmark 1-2 England
20 Sep 1978 EC Q Denmark 3-4 England
12 Sep 1979 EC Q England 1-0 Denmark
22 Sep 1982 CM Denmark 2-2 England
21 Sep 1983 EC Q England 0-1 Denmark
14 Sep 1988 F England 1-0 Denmark
07 Jun 1989 F Denmark 1-1 England
15 May 1990 F England 1-0 Denmark
11 Jun 1992 EC Denmark 0-0 England
09 Mar 1994 F England 1-0 Denmark

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Jon Dahl Tomasson and Stig Tofting have been rated as doubtful for the second round clash with England.

The pair missed training and the Danish football association confirmed that they could miss Saturday's game.

"They are both at present regarded doubtful for the second round against England in Niigata," the DBU said in a statement.

Tomasson, Denmark's top scorer with four goals, has a groin strain.

Tofting picked up a injury to his left foot in the 2-1 win over Uruguay in the opening game and has aggravated an injury in his right foot by trying to compensate.

The Bolton midfielder was substituted in the second half of the 2-0 win over France and has been resting since.

Central defender Rene Henriksen sat out with a right knee injury but is expected to be ready for the meeting with Sven Goran Eriksson's side.

Goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen, who had also been reported as injured, did train with the rest of the squad.

Former Denmark international Jan Molby said the absence of Tomasson, who fired the Danes to the top of Group A and is in the running for the golden boot, would be a huge setback.

"It's a massive blow for Denmark," Molby said.

"All indications are that he will probably miss the game, He is the only player we can't do without.

"He has has been in sensational form and he is a first-class finisher. A Danish team without Jon Dahl would not be the same."

Tofting forms an abrasive central midfield partnership with Everton's Thomas Gravesen but Molby believes the Denmark hard-man will battle through to pull on a red shirt against England.

"We don't want to be without either of our strong players in midfield but the big worry is Jon Dahl," the former Liverpool midfielder told Sky Sports News.

"If we are without Jon Dahl then it will certainly give England a boost. It will make it more difficult without Jon Dahl being there."

Galileio

Forum Member
May 29, 2002
Wales, United Kingdom
I think we will do this one monarch and get through! The Danes have no real flare players and even though they have quick players on both the right and the left we arguably have the best central defenders in this world cup. If their game plan is to attack from the wings they will leave goaless and we will triumph by one or two goals. Don't mean to put the kosh on it but i cant see the Danes scoring and have only done so against some weak opposition so far, including the French, who i think have probably been the worst team in this cup!!

CMON ENGLAND!!!!!!!;)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Don't you wish we had beaten Nigeria and had Senegal to play instead with an extra day rest. If we got through that we would have avoided Brazil till the semis also. I hope the Danes don't get at Mills/Cole to much as this is the weakest part of our team. This game looks like another Eng/Bel in Italia'90. Should be a good one.

A

Antonio

Should be a great Match guys, am pulling for England believe it or not:) Think they take it, Monarch 100% correct on Mills/Cole. And thank you for this morning on the heads up about Nesta. wanted to get in that under if he was a definite thank you.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
This could get ugly tomorrow. Flat 4-4-2 from either side should result in a tight encounter. Both sides know each-other pretty well so I'm hoping our superior individual quality will carry us through. +120 to get it done in 90mins looks like a good play. I'm not ready to take the pressure of Golden Goal or PKs yet.

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
The only scary thing to me is if they will score before the 90 minutes of regular time!!!

England is better a lot of!! no question about it, if England can do it well, they can go to the finals this World Cup, yes, Denmark thinks they are huge, but they play versus a no lucky and shited France team!! England big, only thought, if you want to win, you should score and England sometimes forget this!!!

PLAY

- England! :D

Good luck Monarch!!!

I'll be watching the game of my interest like you, but I do not know, but I feel so confident to pass this round, later!!

Javier :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW :D :D :D :eek:. Samba time now baby. 6 full days rest before the likely meeting with the Brazilians. Looks like it could be the game of the tournament.

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
Congratulations to your nation, your team, yourself and my happy wallet!! :D

I am waiting to see you in semis ;)

Good luck!!

Javier :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Galileio

Forum Member
May 29, 2002
Wales, United Kingdom
went big on england today i told you they would not score!!!! CMON THE BOYS!!!!

Anyway this should set up the tie of the tourny. Again i dont think the opposition is as good as everyone thinks and brazil are not good at the back, i think they will score but we will also. Brazil will not find it so easy to score against our central defenders and the result will be 2-1 to england im sure!!

Monarch if we win this one i will be counting my money ive done them at 16/1 for the cup. It looks a good bet now!!!

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
We steam-rolled the Danes today. They looked nervous from the start and by the time they woke up the game was over. Great call on the game Galileio and hope England keep making us some money the rest of the way. As to Brazil, they look like a glorified exhibition team that are definately beatable. I think we'll approach it much like the Argentina game. Trouble is that was played in a nice indoor air-conditioned stadium and this will be in the harsh afternoon heat. Still, the England side is improving game-on-game and the many injury hit players pre-tournament are now virtually match fit again. Both strikers got a goal today and confidence is soaring. All I know is if I were Brazilian I wouldn't want to play England right now.

Saying all this we'll probably end up playing Belgium :).

Lets see the Mexicans through as well now Javier :D :D. Vamonos Mexicano.