England v Sweden, Sun 2 June 10.30 am BST.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I'm finding it difficult to analyse this game objectively. On paper, England man-for-man has a much stronger side. However, we have not beaten Sweden in decades and struggle in general against Scandinavian opposition. At the moment I can't get a 1-1 scoreline out of my head. Would appreciate any thoughts from a more neutral perspective.

Best current prices:

England 21/20
Draw 9/4
Sweden 11/4

ronnieseah

Forum Member
Sep 2, 2001
singapore
better value to get England to knock out in the 1st round, cant see them advancing. they are shit.

:moon: :thefinger moon1

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Nick Douglas

Forum Member
Oct 31, 2000
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I've got England as my World Cup champions and I will make a futures play on that before the finals start. The winner of Group F has a relatively easy road to the semis and then they play the winner of France vs. Brazil, which should be a war. Sets up very well for them if they find a way to beat Argentina in the group, which I think they will.

As for this game, even though I like England to win I don't see a good amount of value in any play on the board. If I were to give an opinion I would go with England in a two way bet and give the vig if you have a book that offers two way bets.

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
My only tought of England is when they go out of the island, the powerful england team change to a a medium England team, they are a good team, not so strong to win the world cup, but respectable; I preffer to wait how they play the first game, who is beckham and finally see if they will go to do anything good!!! England has history and they are the formers of soccer, but the last years the are not so strongs, and vulnerables out of home; good luck!! :D

Javier

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Nick, it's good to see someone with faith in the English national team. However patriotic I may be, I am reluctant to talk up our chances to much. Firstly, this is a very inexperienced team and are likely to be the youngest side in the WC; we have still not sorted out the 'Left-Side' problem, our most experienced defender (G Neville) and our most promising midfielder (Gerrard) will be missing through injury; and the general consensus (from both management & media) is that this competition will be used as a platform to build for the next Euro Championship and WC'06. This is not to say we don't have a chance of progressing quite far, and come the knockout stages who knows what could happen.

KsYaS, yes we are an Island nation. We also (in general) travel just fine, 5-1 in Munich less than 6 months ago is no mean feat. The fact that we have been given a complete bitch of a group and probably the most unenviable path afterwards could well show our fault lines. If we win the whole thing it will have been done the hard way with an immense amount of luck and total avoidance of all penalty shoot-outs.

ronnieseah

Forum Member
Sep 2, 2001
singapore
we will only know after the 12th of June.

KsYaS, yes you are right, England has history............and they are also history.

england to lose 2 and draw 1.

A

Antonio

I dont have England passing the 1st round, tough group there in nick but good luck on that wager to win it all

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Andy

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2001
CA USA
Nick,

Nick,

England to win the Cup??? No chances, don't waste your money on that future bet. As I predicted before Beckham recovered from his injury that England can't even get out of the group, but since he's starting, I have them as a 2nd team to advance behind Argentina.
You should listen to Monarch, he said everything that I wanted to about the inexperience in the team. England will do better in Euro 2004 and WC 2006, but not in this Cup.
Their first game tonite against Sweden is the key game, a win here or at least a draw, they would be in great shape, if they lose this game, don't think about seeing them advance. Good luck on what ever you play.

Andy

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Sven-Goran Eriksson is poised to hand international rookie Darius Vassell the key role of spearheading England's World Cup assault alongside Michael Owen.

England coach Eriksson put his team through their paces in a final training session at the Saitama Stadium ahead of Sunday's opening game.

Eriksson's team selection will bear a slightly unfamiliar look after injuries robbed him of key figures such as Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Manchester United defender Gary Neville.

The Swede is expected to opt for inexperienced Aston Villa striker Vassell as Owen's partner, with Liverpool's Emile Heskey pushed out into a wide left role.

Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves is expected to partner Paul Scholes in central midfield, with Leeds' Danny Mills taking Neville's right-back position.

Eriksson would have been tempted by the option of using Newcastle's Kieron Dyer on the left flank, but has admitted his team selection has been shaped by recent injury problems.

Dyer finally declared himself fit after knee problems, but with David Beckham and Nicky Butt having spent lengthy spells on the sidelines, Eriksson is wary of thrusting too many players below full match fitness into Saitama's gruelling humidity.

He said: "We have a lot of players coming back from injury who have not been playing for a while.

"We will not start with all these because it might be a little bit risky. We have had 23 players working with the ball on the training pitch for four days now, which is good for us."
Dyer expects to be named as a substitute, and Eriksson paid tribute to his efforts to get himself fit for action.

He said: "When we left England it seemed very bad for him, but since then he has worked very hard.

"Dyer is fit to play if we need him. He has not only worked hard, he has put in extra hours every evening.

"This has applied to all our injured players, and it has been well done by them and the medical staff."

England (probable): Seaman, Mills, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole, Beckham (captain) Scholes, Hargreaves, Heskey, Owen, Vassell.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Sweden are facing an injury crisis after captain Patrick Andersson joined Freddie Ljundberg as a doubt for Sunday's England game.

Andersson limped out of the Swedes' final pre-match training session on Saturday.

The team were working on their shooting at Saitama Stadium, the venue for the Group F opener, when their captain was injured after firing in a left-foot drive.

The Barcelona defender lay on the ground for several minutes and limped slowly off the field with his left thigh bandaged.

It's not good to have injuries in your squad but, if Ljundberg can't play, we have other players who can step in

Team officials refused to comment on the apparent injury, which happened about 50 minutes into the 90-minute session.

Most of the players walked straight to the team bus outside the stadium without talking to reporters.

Andersson, 30, left through another door to take a much shorter route to the bus.

The Swedish skipper is his country's most experienced player, with 96 caps, two World Cups and a European Championship under his belt.

But he only recently came back after being sidelined for nearly three months by torn knee ligaments.

Ljundberg took part in the same session but his participation against England remains in doubt.

Andersson is Sweden's most experienced player

The Arsenal star has been struggling with a groin injury this week but appeared on the pitch at Saitama Stadium with the rest of Lars Lagerback's squad.

He went through gentle stretching exercises and ball juggling in the 15 minutes of the session that were open to the media.

Swedish team officials made no comment about the player's condition and further fitness tests are expected before a final decision is made on whether to play him or not.

A Sweden spokesman said no further comment would be made before Sunday's match.

"He's our David Beckham," the spokesman said, referring to the England captain whose recovery from a foot injury has also been shrouded in secrecy.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
08 Sep 1908 F* Sweden 1-6 England
20 Oct 1908 OG* England 12-1 Sweden
06 Nov 1909 F* England 7-0 Sweden
10 Jun 1914 F* Sweden 1-5 England
21 May 1923 F+ Sweden 2-4 England
24 May 1923 F Sweden 1-3 England
17 May 1937 F Sweden 0-4 England
19 Nov 1947 F England 4-2 Sweden
13 May 1949 F Sweden 3-1 England
16 May 1956 F Sweden 0-0 England
28 Oct 1959 F England 2-3 Sweden
16 May 1965 F Sweden 1-2 England
22 May 1968 F England 3-1 Sweden
10 Jun 1979 F Sweden 0-0 England
10 Sep 1986 F Sweden 1-0 England
19 Oct 1988 WC Q England 0-0 Sweden
06 Sep 1989 WC Q Sweden 0-0 England
17 Jun 1992 EC Gp 1 Sweden 2-1 England
08 Jun 1995 UC England 3-3 Sweden
05 Sep 1998 EC Q Sweden 2-1 England
05 Jun 1999 EC Q England 0-0 Sweden
10 Nov 2001 F England 1-1 Sweden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH SHORTS

England have never won a World Cup or European Championship match against Sweden, either in qualification or in a final tournament - a total of five matches.
In 1998, England failed to reach the quarter-finals at a World Cup for the first time since 1958, although there were three World Cups in between that they had failed to qualify for.
Sweden's recent friendly defeat by Paraguay was their first defeat in more than a year. In total, they had gone 18 matches unbeaten prior to this.
If he plays, Owen Hargreaves will become the first player to represent England at a World Cup having never played in the English league.
Two of Sweden's World Cup squad played in the 1994 World Cup. Defender Patrik Andersson played in every game at USA 94 while Henrik Larsson played in five matches and scored in the third place play-off win over Bulgaria. Both were just 22-years-old.
Gareth Southgate and David Beckham will both win their 50th international caps should they play in this match.
Patrik Andersson is four caps away from becoming the fourth Swedish international to win a century of caps.
David Seaman will be the third oldest player to represent England at a World Cup if he plays. Only Peter Shilton (1990) and Stanley Matthews (1954) were older.
Sweden have not won any of their matches in 2002, drawing four and losing to Paraguay.
England have scored in all nine of their World Cup matches since drawing with the Netherlands in 1990.
Since drawing 0-0 with Slovakia in qualifying, Sweden have won all seven of their competitive matches.
Sweden's goalkeeper Magnus Hedman was part of the 1994 World Cup squad but didn't play as he was the reserve behind Thomas Ravelli.

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
I was just about to report this as well, have to give England the edge here with Andersson possibly being out, their attack will not be as scary without him now.

If England can wint the battle in the midfield, they should set up some scoring chances..

GL