ERA's and Strength of Schedule

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

TheBlackCloud1

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Sunset Beach, Ca, USA
I am probably not the brightest, but the discussions yesterday about era at home and road prompted me to consider era and strength of schedule. This might be very unlikely, but suppose that it just so happens that 50% of my innings pitched are against the bottom teams in runs scored, let's say the Mets, the Pirates, the Expos, Brewers. The rest of my innings are sprinkled with a little of everything else. On the other hand, 50% of your innings pitched were against the higher ranking offensive teams like the Rockies, Astros, Dbacks, Giants. The rest were with a fair composition of the other teams. If my era was 3.00 and your era was 3.50 - your measure would no doubt be stronger if the strength of competition was factored in. Does anybody have any unit of measurement for pitchers that factors in the quality of competition they have faced? If so or if not, do you think that would be significant information or not? It just seems to me that if the majority of my innings are against the Yankees, Mariners and Indians - it is an entirely different ballgame from someone whose innings have been loaded against teams like Tampa Bay or Baltimore? Does this make sense or am I off the deep end (again)?

Allnet

Forum Member
Feb 20, 2000
Port Arthur, Tx
Makes sense to me and I try to look at it, and have found a few winners based on that approach.

------------------
"A group is better than any individual"