Ever Been To OCho Rios Jamaica?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Mickstr68

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Deltona, Florida, USA
Going on a cruise with my family and one of the ports is Ocho Rios Jamaica. We will probably do the whole climbing of Dunn's River Falls and probably take a tour of the Island.

I've read quite a few comments from past visitors that don't paint the place as very being very friendly or tourist safe

Anyone have experience here?

I was interested in just hiring a JUTA authorized taxi for the day to drive us around here and there, but they demand all fares be paid up front in that case and I'd rather not hand it over and then not be picked up by the same driver after say a stop at the falls for an hour or so.

RollTide72

June 8, 2013
Forum Member
Apr 4, 2002
Greenfield, IN
www.facebook.com
I was there back in early June of this year. You definitely have to go to Dunn's River Falls. If you choose to walk the falls... it's about 120 steps down to the bottom of the falls, then you have to climb up the falls hand in hand... make sure you either pack your own pair of "water shoes" or an old pair of sneakers... some of the rocks can be slippery. Also, not easy for older persons or "persons of size" :mj07: like me. I was able to make it up about half way.. but some of the climb was just too steep... was happy that I could climb what I did though.

Stay away from Mahogany Beach. It's a tourist trap and I was approached several times for pot, cocaine, etc. (I was approached to buy drugs at the falls as well though.)

There are shops right off the dock and a Margaritaville restaurant there as well.

We also had to negotiate our taxi fare before getting in.. but we had no problem. They drive like MANIACS though... hopefully the road construction is done now. When we were there it caused a traffic nightmare and many people from our cruise walked back fom the falls to the ship... and that's a pretty good hike.

Hope this helps. You will have a great time at the falls if you go.

Agent 0659

:mj07:
Forum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Gym rat
Stay away from Mahogany Beach. It's a tourist trap and I was approached several times for pot, cocaine, etc. (I was approached to buy drugs at the falls as well though.)

:scared

And you didn't bring anything back for your old buddy Agent:shrug: :wtf:

OR, did you puff puff it before you had the chance:nono:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
I've been there twice on cruises, most recently in September of 2005. We hired a lady named Marva Shaw to take us around. We had day passes at the Beaches resort there and she picked us up and took us shopping. Real pleasant lady and she took care of myself and my family. You can prebook her. http://www.knowjamaica.com/. We didn't pay until she dropped us back at the pier. Went to Dunns River Falls in 2002 on my honeymoon. It is a TOURIST TRAP! Trying to exit the falls area you have to navigate a maze of little shops with very aggressive vendors. You can read a lot about Ocho Rios on http://www.cruisecritic.com/. Navigate the message boards to the destinations and you can get some more recent info from folks who have just gotten off their ships and have posted info on their trip. Ocho Rios was my least favorite trip on our cruises, but at least you wont be at home. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Senor Capper

is feeling it
Channel Member
Nov 14, 2000
Vegas
www.SenorCapper.com
The wife & I stayed at Ciboney Resort. The people treated us like royalty. Didn't venture into Kingston mainly because 'the Posse" (no not pussy) was widespread.

Leaving, before taxiing (sp) down the runway they pulled a few people off. You know why.

Gotta do the Falls.

Oh yeah & the ganja is to die for :weed:

SC