Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
STEPHANIE MYLES
The Gazette

Thursday, April 10, 2003
ADVERTISEMENT

What a difference a degree makes to the Expos.

When the game-time temperature is lower than 5 degrees Celsius, the Expos are 0-4. When it's above that, they're 4-0. In the relatively balmy weather, the Expos have scored 6.3 runs a game, batted .311 as a team, averaged 11.5 hits per game, slugged at a .473 clip and posted a team ERA of 1.75.

On cold days, the team has averaged 0.5 runs per game, batted .156, had a slugging percentage of .205 and a team ERA of 3.94. It's literally a matter of one degree. They won 8-5 in New York when the temperature at game time was 5C. Yesterday, when the temperature was 4.44C, they were shut out 3-0.

Playing time: Manager Frank Robinson gave Henry Mateo the start at second base yesterday, resting Jose Vidro. He's still searching for a spot to do the same for outfielder Ron Calloway, who started the first two games in place of the suspended Vladimir Guerrero in right field, but none since. Today's scheduled starter for the Cubs, lefty Shawn Estes, doesn't help Calloway's cause as left-fielder Brad Wilkerson, centre-fielder Endy Chavez and Calloway are left-handed hitters and Robinson will probably try to get an extra right-handed bat in the lineup.

Tough guys: With all the head warmers, tuques, ski masks, sweat bands and long johns, notorious cold disdainer and slow starter Sammy Sosa pretty much went au naturel for the first two games of this series, except for the long sleeves worn by everyone. Reliever Joe Borowski, who struck out Guerrero with the bases loaded Tuesday, played in short sleeves and complained only of the cold water from the saturated field seeping through his cleats. Former Expo Bartolo Colon, who pitched for the Chicago White Sox at the opener in Cleveland Tuesday (six innings, two earned runs, a second no-decision) also was in short sleeves. "I did it once, but I didn't feel comfortable with long sleeves. I knew it was cold, but in my mind, I forgot about it it. That's the way I feel comfortable," Colon told the Chicago Tribune. As Expos fans saw last season, nothing much bothers the big man.

Play-by-play from above: It's probably a good thing for new Cub Mark Grudzielanek that legendary broadcaster Harry Caray has passed on to that great press box in the sky. Caray, a notorious moniker mangler, used to get so tied up in knots by Grudz's last name that it came out sounding something like "Groozaloosky."

Quote of the day: Cubs manager Dusty Baker doesn't think Sosa will exercise the clause in his contract that allows him to leave Chicago after this season. "Wouldn't he have to turn back a whole bunch of money to go get a whole bunch more money?" Baker asked the Tribune. "One thing about Sammy, he can count real well."

On the farm: The Triple-A Edmonton Trappers team ERA during its 0-5 start to the season was 9.94, helped by a 25-11 loss to Tucson. Many on the staff have pitched with the Expos, or were in big-league camp this spring: Scott Downs (43.20), Ron Chiavacci (24.30), Eric Knott (18.00), Britt Reames (11.25), Matt Blank (9.82). The Trappers finally won their first game Tuesday, a 5-4 squeaker against the Los Angeles Dodgers' Triple-A team in Albuquerque. They played errorless ball after making 16 errors in their first five games. The losing pitcher for Albuquerque was Phil Devey, a Quebecer.