FBI admits spying on multiple US reporters, apologizes

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Continuing to answer the question of who exactly has been harmed in the illegal spying - no oversight - no responsibility - no explanation department...but hey, they're SORRY, so...

:rolleyes:

John Byrne
Published: Saturday August 9, 2008

Offers no explanation for spying

We're sorry.

That's the message from FBI Director Robert Mueller to the executive editors of the New York Times and the Washington Post, after an inspector general discovered that the agency had seized telephone records from four US reporters without a grand jury.

Mueller called Times' editor Bill Keller and Post chief Len Downie Friday, "expressing regret" that agents had not followed "proper procedures. The "lapse" occurred nearly four years ago and involved four staff members of the papers.

"The FBI discontinued use of the emergency letters after privacy advocates and internal watchdogs cited hundreds of cases in which agents intentionally, or out of sloppiness, did not follow up their 'exigent' requests with paperwork that linked the submission to a genuine matter of national security," Washington Post reporter Carrie Johnson wrote in an article Saturday.

The bureau obtained phone records for a Post reporter and a researcher in Indonesia, and Times reporters Raymond Bonner and Jane Perlez, also in the country at the time.

The records were obtained through what is called an exigent circumstances letter, a demand made by the agency in a practice that skirts civil liberties protections that has flourished in the wake of Sept. 11, 2001.

Neither Mueller nor his agency offered any explanations regarding the nature of the subject of the investigation that involved spying on American reporters based overseas. Writing in the Post today, Johnson noted that the reporters were writing about Islamic terrorism in Southeast Asia.

"Efforts to obtain phone records for reporters are subject to special rules at the Justice Department, generally requiring approval by the attorney general or another top official," Johnson added. "But such procedures were not followed in the two incidents found by Inspector General Glenn A. Fine, bureau officials said yesterday."

"FBI agents involved in the undisclosed national security probe stated at the time of the request that they would follow up with subpoenas from a U.S. attorney, but 'no subpoena was ever issued for your telephone toll records,' according to a letter that Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie Jr. received yesterday from FBI General Counsel Valerie Caprone," she added.

Such records listed the phone numbers the reporters called and received, but not the actual conversation, similar to the warrantless wiretapping program the Bush Administration has employed in tracking calls American citizens have placed to overseas destinations.

An FBI spokesman said the records have been expunged.

"I thanked Director Mueller for calling and informing us of this and apologizing," Post editor Downie told his paper. "I told him that we would be asking our general counsel to look into this."

-----

And of course, these are the instances that we find out about. We will probably never know about many more. But, who cares, as long as the reputable keepers of our trust have unfettered, unencumbered, unreported, unmonitored access to whomever they want, whenever they want, right?

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Maybe Pelosi can say crimes committed by the FBI should be left off the table. The crimes being committed and nobody being held responsible is almost becoming laughable. Then creating laws that cover these crimes is down right despicable. You would have to be an absolute imbecile to be a democrat and trash this administration and still talk on the phone or use a computer. I hope guys like Kusinich and Olberman realize this. Obviously Spitzer and Edwards didn't

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Continuing to answer the question of who exactly has been harmed in the illegal spying - no oversight - no responsibility - no explanation department...but hey, they're SORRY, so...

:rolleyes:

John Byrne
Published: Saturday August 9, 2008

Offers no explanation for spying

We're sorry.

That's the message from FBI Director Robert Mueller to the executive editors of the New York Times and the Washington Post, after an inspector general discovered that the agency had seized telephone records from four US reporters without a grand jury.

Mueller called Times' editor Bill Keller and Post chief Len Downie Friday, "expressing regret" that agents had not followed "proper procedures. The "lapse" occurred nearly four years ago and involved four staff members of the papers.

"The FBI discontinued use of the emergency letters after privacy advocates and internal watchdogs cited hundreds of cases in which agents intentionally, or out of sloppiness, did not follow up their 'exigent' requests with paperwork that linked the submission to a genuine matter of national security," Washington Post reporter Carrie Johnson wrote in an article Saturday.

The bureau obtained phone records for a Post reporter and a researcher in Indonesia, and Times reporters Raymond Bonner and Jane Perlez, also in the country at the time.

The records were obtained through what is called an exigent circumstances letter, a demand made by the agency in a practice that skirts civil liberties protections that has flourished in the wake of Sept. 11, 2001.

Neither Mueller nor his agency offered any explanations regarding the nature of the subject of the investigation that involved spying on American reporters based overseas. Writing in the Post today, Johnson noted that the reporters were writing about Islamic terrorism in Southeast Asia.

"Efforts to obtain phone records for reporters are subject to special rules at the Justice Department, generally requiring approval by the attorney general or another top official," Johnson added. "But such procedures were not followed in the two incidents found by Inspector General Glenn A. Fine, bureau officials said yesterday."

"FBI agents involved in the undisclosed national security probe stated at the time of the request that they would follow up with subpoenas from a U.S. attorney, but 'no subpoena was ever issued for your telephone toll records,' according to a letter that Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie Jr. received yesterday from FBI General Counsel Valerie Caprone," she added.

Such records listed the phone numbers the reporters called and received, but not the actual conversation, similar to the warrantless wiretapping program the Bush Administration has employed in tracking calls American citizens have placed to overseas destinations.

An FBI spokesman said the records have been expunged.

"I thanked Director Mueller for calling and informing us of this and apologizing," Post editor Downie told his paper. "I told him that we would be asking our general counsel to look into this."

-----

And of course, these are the instances that we find out about. We will probably never know about many more. But, who cares, as long as the reputable keepers of our trust have unfettered, unencumbered, unreported, unmonitored access to whomever they want, whenever they want, right?

what paper was this in,chaddy?....the only john byrne i`m getting on google is a cartoonist?...

if this is fact,it`s a terrible bloody nose for homeland security....

i hope it`s b.s...

thanks,bud...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
that`s o.k... i found it...

this is bad news,imo....shouldn`t happen...

the good side of the story...at least the checks and balances worked...albeit a tad late in the game...

"F.B.I. officials said the incident came to light as part of the continuing review by the Justice Department inspector general?s office into the bureau?s improper collection of telephone records through ?emergency? records demands issued to phone providers.

The records were apparently sought as part of a terrorism investigation, but the F.B.I. did not explain what was being investigated or why the reporters? phone records were considered relevant."...

as it stands,i can`t defend it....:shrug:

would like to see a more thorough explanantion of why reporters were involved in the phone records investigation...

could they have thought that reporters were conspiring in some way?....

i`m guessing here...need more info...

Last edited:

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
that`s o.k... i found it...

this is bad news,imo....shouldn`t happen...

the good side of the story...at least the checks and balances worked...albeit a tad late in the game...

"F.B.I. officials said the incident came to light as part of the continuing review by the Justice Department inspector general?s office into the bureau?s improper collection of telephone records through ?emergency? records demands issued to phone providers.

The records were apparently sought as part of a terrorism investigation, but the F.B.I. did not explain what was being investigated or why the reporters? phone records were considered relevant."...

as it stands,i can`t defend it....:shrug:

would like to see a more thorough explanantion of why reporters were involved in the phone records investigation...

could they have thought that reporters were conspiring in some way?....

i`m guessing here...need more info...

Weasel pleaseeeeeeeeeeees. I told you two years ago this kind of stuff was gonna happen. How hard is it to believe there are actually some rotten people out there?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Weasel pleaseeeeeeeeeeees. I told you two years ago this kind of stuff was gonna happen. How hard is it to believe there are actually some rotten people out there?

sponge...these reporters were apparently overseas...at least a couple were in indonesia,a hotbed of radical islamist activity...and judging by some of the names,they may not be native americans...

was there some suspicion about these reporters?...

were their phone calls tracked without knowing they were reporters?...obviously the calls were "international"(which is what fisa was set up to monitor)...

was it just a mistake?..was it purposeful?....

the article i read said that the content of the phone calls wasn`t an issue...nobody listened to the conversations(fisa`s set up to establish patterns of calls)...

and i know under homeland security the fbi and cia are supposed to cooperate...but i always thought the fbi was more of a criminal/nationally focused org. and the c,i,a, more international cloak and dagger type stuff...

so,theres lots of questions unanswered....

need to know more before i`m willing to throw the baby out with the bath water..

lets give it till monday or tuesday to see what the news services can shake out...

cause this looks like a big opportunity to skewer the bush administration..i`m sure they`ll be all over it...

i`m gonna hold my water until after the weekend..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg