Fielder Indifference? Why?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

PerpetualCzech

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
I just finished listening to the A's/Brewers game and can't figure out something that happened in the ninth inning. A's up by 2 runs and Milwaukee gets a runner on first - Richie Sexson - in the ninth. During the next at bat Milwaukee sends Sexson to second, presumably to avoid the force out at second and because they know the A's will not try and throw him out because his run "doesn't matter".

Why don't they try and throw him out?? Conventional thinking says his run doesn't matter so ignore him, but that is the very reason they should try for him, isn't it? It's a free shot at the game ending out against a guy with 0 SB's so far this year - and if you throw the ball into centre field, who cares?

The defense risks nothing in trying to throw out these baserunners yet you see fielder indifference in these late inning situations all the time. Doesn't make sense!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Agree, no risk in trying to throw him out, but with the first baseman not holding the runner on, usually the runner gets such a big lead and jump, it's pretty much useless to throw down.

nighthorse

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2001
wichita, ks 67209
Also, if they choose not to hold the runner, the pitcher can throw from the windup. Don Zimmer could steal 2nd if not being held on and pitcher working from the windup. (I may have went a bit too far there). Many relievers always work from the stretch, so I don't know if this would play a part as well.