Florida / Florida State

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
Now that the OSU/Michigan game is finally over with... bring on the Nolies. Give me anything at UF -3 or less.

(11) UF at (22) FSU, 8PM, Sat Nov 30

- Florida has not beaten FSU in Doak Campbell Stadium since 1986.

- After throwing 14 interceptions in his first seven games, Rex Grossman has not thrown an interception in three of the last four games. He has attempted a careerlong streak of 95 consecutive passes without an interception (previous was 85). Over that span, Grossman has gone 104-of-149 (69.7 percent) for 979 yards and eight touchdowns. His last interception came during the second quarter of the Georgia game.

- Florida and Florida State are the only two schools in the nation to rank in the Top 15 in the final polls in each of the last 12 seasons (1990-2001) and the only two schools in the nation to play in a January bowl game in each of the past nine seasons (1993- 2001).

- Wide receiver Carlos Perez underwent surgery on Nov. 18 to repair his broken right fibula, which he injured in the second
quarter of the South Carolina game on Nov. 16. Perez will begin rehabilitation in four weeks and will miss the remainder of the season.

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
November 24. 2002 6:01AM
'Noles more vulnerable this year

By Robbie Andreu Sun sports writer
andreur@gvillesun.com

Over the past 14 years, they have unleashed a formidable football force on Tallahassee in an attempt to vanquish the Seminoles on their own turf. The Florida Gators have thrown everything imaginable at Florida State: Twenty-two All-Americans, a Heisman winner, the NFL's future all-time leading rusher, six SEC championship teams and one national championship team. And, by the way, the greatest coach in Florida football history, a guy with a history of winning wherever he went.

But from 1988 to the present - seven games in Tallahassee - the Gators have only one lousy tie to show for it. Lousy because the Gators blew a 31-3 lead in the fourth quarter.

Florida has not beaten FSU in Doak Campbell Stadium since 1986.

That means Spurrier, the coach, never won there. Neither did Danny Wuerffel, the Heisman winner. Or Emmitt Smith, now the NFL's all-time leading rusher. Or Jevon Kearse, The Freak. And many of the other all-time Gator greats during the most successful period in the program's history.

During his tenure, Spurrier did everything but beat the Seminoles in Tallahassee.

"That's hard to believe," Florida senior linebacker Mike Nattiel said. "When you look at all the great players who have come through here and what they've accomplished around here. ... it's just hard to believe."

Nattiel doesn't even remember the last time UF won at Doak because he was only 6 at the time. But his uncle Rickey remembers. Rickey Nattiel was on the last UF team that beat the 'Noles in Tallahassee 14 years ago. He produced the winning score - a touchdown reception from Kerwin Bell in the fourth quarter for a 17-13 victory.

The Gators have been skunked in Tallahassee since then - going 0-6-1.

One of those losses went to Galen Hall. The rest of the mess - 0-5-1 - is on Spurrier's otherwise flawless resume.

"I never looked at it until I read it on the Internet," junior cornerback Keiwan Ratliff said. "I had never realized Coach Spurrier had never won in Tallahassee. Of everything he accomplished, he never accomplished that. (Spurrier winning in Tallahassee) is just one of those things you just assumed happened. But it didn't."

Said tailback Earnest Graham: "It's hard to believe Coach Spurrier never won there. For him not to get a win against anybody is crazy."

But true.

Now, it's Ron Zook's turn. Can he possibly win where Spurrier couldn't? Can Rex Grossman do what Danny Wuerffel never did? Can Earnest Graham experience something Emmitt Smith missed out on in his UF career?

The current Gators are ready to take their shot at ending the streak, at grappling with and subduing the Doak Campbell curse.

"Each year is different, each team is different. Each team has its own personality," Ratliff said. "It's a hard place to play. They have a winning tradition and they don't lose much there. Any time you go where a team has a lot of confidence it's going to be a hard environment to play in. But it's motivation for us. This is something that can easily help motivate us and get us ready to play."

The Gators couldn't win at Doak in 1996 - the season Wuerffel won the Heisman and the Gators went on to win the national championship by drubbing FSU in a rematch in the Sugar Bowl.

After falling to the Seminoles 24-21 at the end of the '96 regular season, the Gators whipped the same team 52-20 a little more than a month later in the national title game.

That comparison is a great indication just how important the homefield advantage has been for Seminoles in this rivalry.

Further evidence is the 1994 game - which saw the Gators blow the 28-point lead in the fourth quarter and have to settle for a 31-31 tie.

"Under Coach Spurrier, (the Gators) easily could have won every one up there," Grossman said. "It's hard to believe the 1996 team didn't do it, especially how bad they beat them in the Sugar Bowl."

Is there a jinx? A Doak Campbell hex bedeviling Florida?

The Gators don't think so. The fact is the Seminoles have been almost impossible for anybody and everybody to beat at Doak over the last 15 years or so. In the 'Noles' last 91 games at Doak Campbell, the Seminoles are 85-5-1. FSU had a 55-game home winning streak going until Miami won in Tallahassee last season.

Since 1988, the Gators have been favored in Tallahassee only twice (1996 and 1998).

"They've had a pretty good run there," Graham said. "They definitely get fired up to play there. It's a competitive atmosphere and it's not surprising they do well there. They really get fired up at home. They've had some great teams, and they've taken care of business (against UF) up there."

The Seminoles, however, have not been infallible at home, especially over the past two seasons. FSU lost twice at home (UM and North Carolina State) in 2001 and has lost a home game this season (Notre Dame).

And like UF, the Seminoles have had their struggles this season - they lost for the fourth time this season Saturday to N.C. State 17-7 in Raleigh, N.C. This may be the Gators best chance to get a win in Tallahassee in quite some time.

"We seem to have a good chance every time we go up there, but we get caught up in the atmosphere and get our butts kicked," junior offensive guard Shannon Snell said. "It's one of the toughest places in the nation to play. I compare it to Tennessee. It may not be as loud as Tennessee, but the fans are just as hard-core.

"We've got to go up there and get a little redemption. We want to go up there, beat them and say we ended the streak."

The Gators may have a little something extra going for them in the fact this 2002 UF team is experiencing a strikingly similar season to the 1986 team that won in Tallahassee.

Here's how:

In 1986, the Gators were beaten by Miami at Florida Field early in the season. This season, the Gators were beaten by the 'Canes in Gainesville in the second game of the year.

In 1986, UF quarterback Kerwin Bell injured his knee in the LSU game and the Gators lost to the Tigers at home a week after losing a game in the state of Mississippi (Mississippi State). This season, Grossman sprained his knee against LSU and the Gators lost at home to the Tigers a week after losing a game in Mississippi (Ole Miss).

In 1986, the Gators pulled out a miracle win at home against Auburn, rebounding from a 17-0 deficit to win 18-17. This season, UF had a miracle win at Florida Field against Auburn - blocking a chip-shot field goal at the end of regulation, then pulling out the win in overtime.

In 1986, the Gators rallied in the second half to upset Georgia in Jacksonville. This season, the Gators came from behind in the second half to upset Georgia in Jacksonville.

In 1986, the underdog Gators sprung the surprise in Tallahassee, winning on the fourth-quarter TD pass from Bell to Nattiel...

Now, can the 2002 Gators repeat and complete a little more history with a win at Doak?

Like Spurrier used to say, the Gators have a chance.

"Florida has taken some great teams up there and not won," Mike Nattiel said. "We've got to figure out a way to win. This is a great opportunity for us to go up there and win a game. To win up there for this senior class ... that would be great. We've got a chance if we go up there and execute on both sides of the ball."

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
PRACTICE REPORT: WR Taylor Jacobs (sprained knee) was running patterns at full speed after practice and has told Coach Ron Zook he will play at Florida State on Nov. 30. "Half of the stuff I was doing today was not of [my doctor?s] consent," Jacobs said. "They've let me do some cutting here and there but I wanted to do a few things on my own, to test myself and make sure it feels good."

Jacobs said he's almost to the point where he can start to consider if he's ready to take the physical pounding of tackles. "I think there's a good chance," Jacobs said of playing in his hometown of Tallahassee. "If it was up to me, I would have played in the last game. This is the last game for me at the collegiate level. I get to go home and play in front of the hometown crowd. It's real, real important for me to play." ...

OT Bobby Williams (New Smyrna Beach High) was walking one day after a frightening collision that left him hospitalized. Though all tests at Shand?s Hospital in Gainesville came back normal, Williams was wearing a neck brace as a precaution. "The feeling was gone in my legs for about 25 or 30 seconds," Williams said of a scrimmage collision between his helmet and a teammate's knee.

"But I can feel my legs now and I'm healthy, so hopefully I'll be back for Florida State." Said Zook: "They've run every test on Bobby and he?s fine." ... Florida will have a brief walk-through today and be off until Sunday or Monday, when the resume preparations for the regular-season finale at FSU.

INJURIES: DE Clint Mitchell (headache) sat out.

ETC.: Zook said he's aware that Florida hasn't won at Florida State since 1986. "It?s a great challenge for us,? he said. "And a great opportunity. We've got our work cut out for us, we really do, and our players know that. They understand we're going to have to be ready to play. If our practices this week are any indication, this is a football team that?s improving." ... Zook on the bye week: "It's worked out for us, injury-wise. Some of the guys we want to take with us, there is a pretty good chance they'll be back. And plus, it?s a chance to regroup a little bit and come back strong. I really feel the open date before the Georgia game helped us and I think it will help us this week as well." ...

QUOTE: "Somebody said something to me yesterday [about Florida State tackle Darnell Dockett] and I said, 'Who?' Really, I didn?t get into it when I first got here. I don't have anything to say about it, I really don?t. I don't know anything about it. I?ve never seen the play. I don?t care. There is nothing I can do about it." -- Zook on Dockett, who allegedly injured Florida TB Earnest Graham last season

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
RALEIGH, N.C. -- As the pepper spray cleared, the questions reappeared. The first one was why Bobby Bowden hobbled off the field.

"We call that a loser's limp," he said.

That's what they call it when a player fakes an injury. Bowden escaped unscathed, which was more than you could say for the goalposts, not to mention common sense. When will opposing fans realize beating the Seminoles is no longer reason to attack defenseless goalposts?

That is one of the many questions left in the rubble of North Carolina State's 17-7 win. There are so many others, you hardly know where to begin. Like who had a worse performance -- FSU's offense or NC State's police?

The only thing more ridiculous than the fans' behavior was the Barney Fife security plan to control it. Where was the beef, or at least a few dogs? Just be thankful a couple of the punches fans threw at FSU players didn't land, or the Atlantic Coast Conference could have staged its first heavyweight championship fight.

As it was, the conference crowned its 2002 football champ. Which raises another question. What should the championship rings be made of?

How about the aluminum from all the goalposts FSU has left in its wake? The Seminoles were about 38,000 feet in the air when Maryland officially lost to Virginia. It's safe to say no champagne was served on the flight home.

"We're not legit," tailback Nick Maddox said.

Call it Reason No. 2,497 the BCS should be trashed. A four-loss team will play in a big bowl, while teams like USC, Texas, Oklahoma (maybe) and South Florida (why not?) won't.

The Seminoles' have bigger things to worry about than being the butt of BCS jokes. Like the question they thought had been answered -- Who's the quarterback?

Adrian McPherson digressed before our eyes Saturday night. Lee Corso was probably in the backfield the last time FSU had 88 yards total offense after three quarters. If not for a fluke fumble return by Michael Boulware, the Seminoles would have been shut out for the first time in 14 years.

It wasn't all on McPherson. Some of it was due to injuries to Maddox and a couple of offensive linemen. But that doesn't explain the Big Question that doesn't seem to be going away.

Has FSU lost it?

Simply overwhelming opponents with talent doesn't work when you don't have overwhelming talent. Next up -- The Zooker!

Whoever pondered two months ago the FSU-Florida game would be a battle of coaching wits? Whoever thought the Seminoles would still be deciding on a quarterback 12 games into the season?

Whoever dreamed FSU would feel sheepish being called ACC champ? So many questions. So few answers.

FSU keeps searching, but it has a loser's limp. And it's pretty obvious this one is not fake.

TCSN

Forum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Even better, Florida State is the favorite. I'm all over Florida +4.5 & Florida ML

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
Are you kidding me? Wow... I hope some non-partisan people can speak up and say that line is off. Maybe a pick, but FSU a 4.5 pt favorite? Wow...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ChuckyTheGoat

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2000
The line honestly didn't shock me. Noles have a strong home history to overcome. Gators not a great club. Couldn't really see them being a road fav here.

GL.

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
have to agree with chucky. noles looked terrible on saturday vs nc state, so theres a natural knee-jerk reaction to the fsu/gators line. but i think the number is right about where it should be. these teams normally hold serve on their home field- and florida state is pretty damn tough at the doak. it aint gonna be easy for florida at all. this appears to be one of the toughest games on the card for saturday.

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
Zook shuts off media access to players
By EDDIE PELLS, AP Sports Writer
November 25, 2002

Florida coach Ron Zook didn't wait to get to the sideline to make his first unusual call of the week.

Instead, that came Monday when he unexpectedly declared all his players off limits for media interviews this week, in the leadup to Saturday night's game against Florida State.

``I want our players focused on this football game,'' Zook said after practice. ``I don't want any other information to be focused on. I don't want any other things said. I want them focused on this football game, and that's what we're going to do.''

It was move thought to be unprecedented at Florida, where media access to coaches and players grew slowly more difficult over Steve Spurrier's 12 seasons -- by the end, he commonly crossed out names of players he didn't want to talk -- but never resulted in a complete blackout.

Zook's gag order comes at a most odd and inopportune time for his program.

He made the announcement only hours after Florida State and Bobby Bowden found themselves in a public-relations mire, having dismissed quarterback Adrian McPherson amid reports that police planned to question him in the theft and forgery of a blank check.

Florida's media day is Tuesday, and more than 100 reporters are expected to descend on Gainesville, Fla. One of the most prevalent topics would have been how good things have been going lately at Florida, where the Gators are on a four-game winning streak, especially compared to Florida State.

But no players will have a chance to address that topic -- only Zook, who will speak at his regularly scheduled 12:30 p.m. news conference.

The coach claims gag orders are quite common in the world of college football.

``Oh no, it's not radical,'' Zook claimed. ``Teams do this all the time.''

He said Ohio State's Jim Tressel called for one last week before the Michigan game, which is not true -- about 20 Buckeyes players were available last Monday for a 90-minute interview session.

Even though the teams are struggling this season -- the Gators are 8-3 and the Seminoles are 8-4 -- the Florida-Florida State rivalry has long been one of the best in the nation and it has always been rife with storylines.

Among those the Gators won't be available to discuss this week are:

-- The Battle of Twisted Knee: Florida tailback Earnest Graham alleged that Florida State's Darnell Dockett intentionally twisted his knee in the pile last year and caused him an injury that forced him to miss the next game. How does he feel about things now that the rematch is less than a week away? Only Graham knows.

-- Florida's quest for a 10-win season: Despite their failure to win the Southeastern Conference, Zook has been painting this season as a success story in the making, especially if the Gators defeat FSU. Do the players agree? The public might never know.

-- Winning in Tallahassee: Zook has a chance to win at Florida State, something Spurrier never accomplished. How do the Gators feel about trying to do that for their coach, who has weathered intense criticism all year? Again, the answer is a mystery.

``I don't know what you want me to say,'' Zook said. ``I made a decision, and that's what I'm going to do.''

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djchad

Forum Member
Nov 8, 2001
Melbourne, FL
Walter A. McNeil, Chief of Police
Scott T. Hunt, Public Information Officer
(850) 891-4255
For Immediate Release: November 25, 2002

TPD Issues Statement Regarding
Adrian McPherson
The Tallahassee Police Department is conducting a criminal investigation involving the alleged theft of a blank check from a local business. This check was ultimately forged and cashed at a local bank in Tallahassee, thereby making this particular offense a felony.

TPD investigators plan on questioning Adrian McPherson and others regarding their alleged involvement with this case.

As of this writing (1:30pm, Monday, November 25th), no one, including McPherson, has been charged, nor has anyone been arrested. However, the investigation is continuing.

If and when criminal charges are filed in this case, the media will be notified via a press release. Until that time, the TPD will have no further comment regarding this on-going investigation, nor will any further information be released.

http://www.state.fl.us/citytlh/tpd/news/021125.html

loophole

Forum Member
Jul 14, 1999
nc
i've got to jump in here and defend my wolfpack fans with reference to the story about tearing down the goal posts after the fsu game. it had nothing to do with beating the 'noles - we've beat them three of the last four. it had to do with nc state's first ten win season in school history. pieces of the post are being cut up and sold for charity. this wasn't our first rodeo, you know.

btw, i also suspected something was fishy with mcpherson. wonder why this story hasn't been broken by the national media? would that take the game otb? curious.

Last edited: