For the hunters and cooks of the site..

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

jer-z jock

Blow $$ Fast
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2007
Last week I was lucky enough to harvest my first deer of the year(after blowing a shot 3 days earlier in the week) I have had it butchered and got 2 lbs of jerky and 1 lb of slimjims with the regular cuts this time around...I am interested in seeing or some of us/you sharing any recipes you may have for venison including seasonings and preparations...I usually go with the old oven bags or foil wraps for the roast use the steaks or chops in peppered steak and the suasage we do in chilli, tacos, and burgers smoothered in gravy...more then happy to share if anyone is interested but those dishes seem self explanatory and I was looking to try someting a little different this time around, some people in the southern states Ive noticed(from going to a few guided hunts) do a few cool or exotic things with venison, if its part of your winter diet or if you just know of a great recipe please post, and feel free to add anything else you may have to offer...I believe we have a few hunters here and I am pretty damn sure there are a few good cooks (maybe mostly grill cooking) on this site but I just thought I may find a few interesting ideas. Thanks ahead of time!!

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
Here is the marinade recipe that I like:

3/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 to 1 cup apple cider or apple juice (cider is best)
3 tablespoons honey
salt and black pepper

make absolute sure you do NOT overcook your venison. However you like your beef, cook your venison 1 level less. Overcooking ruins it.

If you have a smoker, that's the best way to cook your shoulders/hams.

The tenderloins just need to be cut thin, rubbed in butter and flour and salt and fried a little. mmmmmm...

justin22g

WAR EAGLE!
Forum Member
Sep 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I wrap the backstraps in bacon and smoke them...

and 65 is right, Don't overcook it!

Most of the time I fry it, like counry fried steak and it is unbelievable!

And good job on your first deer!

a doe?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jer-z jock

Blow $$ Fast
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2007
I wrap the backstraps in bacon and smoke them...

and 65 is right, Don't overcook it!

Most of the time I fry it, like counry fried steak and it is unbelievable!

And good job on your first deer!

a doe?
Actually ibhave killed a many a deer but this year specifically I have had not alot of skill at doing so, it was a doe I stuck lastweek but the 2-3 days prior I missed on a beautiful symmetrical 6 point buck, it's the first time this season I've packed the freezer and with the price of buck stamps and permits here in Jersey I plan on knocking a few more doe down, thanks for the responses and I am aware of the price to pay when you overcook venison, like eating a boot, I will be more then happy to try a few new things to do...the backstraps wrapped in bacon is very interesting, that will be my first way of cooking any meat this year, keep the ideas an or recipes coming and thanks again, maybe I'll marinate the backstraps with 6-5 combination then wrap them in bacon....either way the harvest will be enjoyed greatly!!!

justin22g

WAR EAGLE!
Forum Member
Sep 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Actually ibhave killed a many a deer but this year specifically I have had not alot of skill at doing so, it was a doe I stuck lastweek but the 2-3 days prior I missed on a beautiful symmetrical 6 point buck, it's the first time this season I've packed the freezer and with the price of buck stamps and permits here in Jersey I plan on knocking a few more doe down, thanks for the responses and I am aware of the price to pay when you overcook venison, like eating a boot, I will be more then happy to try a few new things to do...the backstraps wrapped in bacon is very interesting, that will be my first way of cooking any meat this year, keep the ideas an or recipes coming and thanks again, maybe I'll marinate the backstraps with 6-5 combination then wrap them in bacon....either way the harvest will be enjoyed greatly!!!

I understand... that's what I meant.

I haven't gotten the bow out this year, but I'm ready for rifle season to open so I can fill the freezer.

I am going to try 6 5's marinade, it seems tasty.

Also, the thing that I have w/ bacon is that it keeps all the marinade inside, and it also flavors the backstrap.

Stick a toothpick through each piece of bacon, and when you pull it off the grill, you can slice it so it turns into a good appetizer, venison poppers :00hour

My motto of cooking is... the slower the better,
unless its a steak