For the UM Fans on the Board, on "Practice Gate"

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
Presser today on the NCAA findings. No major violations, only a handful of minors, administrative related. Coaching staff not implicated.

For some context, Ohio State has over 375 minor violations since 2000.

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
Not major violations. As a Notre Dame fan, you should be aware of what major violations are. (Cough.....Km Dunbar.......cough.)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
And I should clarify, the allegations are POTENTIALLY major violations (e.g. not major or minor at this point in time), pending Michigan's response. According to a person I know in the AD, the NCAA is expected to classify them as secondary violations after the UM formal response. What was announced today is exactly what was expected, and is in accordance with the UM investigation, but the NCAA notice does not contain the details behind each situation. Or, more to the point, they have the "what" and not the "why". The "why" is what determines if these kinds of violations are secondary or not.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
So, I guess you consider them to be minor.

However, the NCAA considers them to be major and they're the ones that decide on probation and here's their letter.

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4152438223.PDF

You'll notice they use the word major on page 4, 2nd paragraph when they state that "you should understand that all of the alleged violations set forth in this letter are considered to be potential major violations unless designated as secondary."

A secondary violation "is isolated or inadvertent in nature, provides or is in*tended to provide only a min*imal recruiting, competitive or other advantage, and does not include any significant re*cruiting inducement or extra benefit." The NCAA wouldn't put a secondary violation in that letter and none of the allegations are isolated in the fact that every allegation has a 21 month window except for the one that was for the coach lying to the NCAA.

I'm not judging the program, they can make their own decisions, I'm just stating that this hasn't been dismissed like your original post makes it sound like.

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
"POTENTIAL major"

Read my explanation above. These are not major or secondary violations at this point. Classification of violations and sanctions are pending UM's response to the NCAA.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
No - they're considered POTENTIAL because Michigan hasn't had a chance to respond. It doesn't sound like I've been able to convince you, but at least I've got you to rethink your statement that No major violations, only a handful of minors, administrative related. Coaching staff not implicated is actually POTENTIALLY major violations

Good Luck in your pending investigation!!

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
Also, I'm not trying to be a dick, I read your stuff all the time. I like legal processes and am ecstatic that USC and Michigan are both involved and don't think that this is a slam dunk.

I think the sight of the hideous winged helmet in your avatar makes my brain go ape shit

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
Good Luck in your pending investigation!!

The investigation is over. The verdict is not. My take prior to the announcement has not changed. UM still expects to be found guilty of "a handful of minor violations" at the end of this. In the meantime, how you, the press and the rest of college football interpret the NCAA statement is up to y'all. In the end, it's only the verdict and sanctions that matter.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Z-Town Posse

Forum Member
Feb 23, 2000
Wolverine Country
Thanks for the info CWood. The Freep is garbage. Maybe we will have to give back the win last year to BBC's powerful ND squad. ND has not been relevent in college football for a while now so I can understand why ND nation has to look for victories by NCAA sanctioning of other schools.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
Stick to the topic Z-Town - the threads about an NCAA investigation on cheating at Michigan and how that cheating caused them to win 8 games over two seasons.

fletcher

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 21, 2000
henderson,nv.
Rich pulled the same shit at wvu, players were working out on field while asst.coaches watched from press box and Rich from his office, also ga's were on the field. To many players on the field working together not a 3 on 3 more like off top 15 a few times. had some luck thanks to good report writting that kept wvu from infractions. Love the way Rich loves to use the word Interpert in his interviews that he has been doing. hell over half his staff was with him at wvu when he got blasted for this before but somethings never change, dickhead won't be there much longer anyway because he will never win a big ten crown , won't ever even be in the running.

Nice job R-Fraud, that's why the top asst. from his wvu staff turned him down to go to mich. because it is all about Rich. He can talk a great line of bull-shit hell same guy as in high school just less hair and a little dumber which is hard to believe, trust me he might do ok as a coach in some parts of the game but over all he is not to smart up stairs. trust me on this one have known him since the age of 13. Nothing is ever his fault, i don't think Rich has ever been wrong.

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
Rich pulled the same shit at wvu, players were working out on field while asst.coaches watched from press box and Rich from his office, also ga's were on the field. To many players on the field working together not a 3 on 3 more like off top 15 a few times. had some luck thanks to good report writting that kept wvu from infractions. Love the way Rich loves to use the word Interpert in his interviews that he has been doing. hell over half his staff was with him at wvu when he got blasted for this before but somethings never change, dickhead won't be there much longer anyway because he will never win a big ten crown , won't ever even be in the running.

Nice job R-Fraud, that's why the top asst. from his wvu staff turned him down to go to mich. because it is all about Rich. He can talk a great line of bull-shit hell same guy as in high school just less hair and a little dumber which is hard to believe, trust me he might do ok as a coach in some parts of the game but over all he is not to smart up stairs. trust me on this one have known him since the age of 13. Nothing is ever his fault, i don't think Rich has ever been wrong.

Interesting stuff Fletcher. Obviously not much good is said about Rich around these parts, but I will say the "all about Rich" thing doesn't seem to jive with his actions here. In fact, it seems to be all about the guys he's most loyal to (Gibson, Barwis, Magee). I wish Rich would have been a little less loyal to his old buddies and bring in a couple top flight assistants to help him out.

I don't think he's a bad guy (not that I know him personally). I just think he's in way over his head politically at a big time program (and University) like UM. It's not JUST about coaching football around here.

DIRTY Diapers

Forum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks for the info CWood. The Freep is garbage. Maybe we will have to give back the win last year to BBC's powerful ND squad. ND has not been relevent in college football for a while now so I can understand why ND nation has to look for victories by NCAA sanctioning of other schools.

:mj07:

You're talking about relevance. Let's look at both programs the last five years:

ND:

Wins 35 Loses 27 (2-3 vs. Michigan)
BCS - Loses to LSU and OSU

Michigan :

Wins 35 Loses 27
BCS - Lost to USC

There is no difference between both programs the last five years so I find it quite amusing you say ND hasn't been relevent. Well I guess that means the skunkbears haven't been as well.

Plus we are not recruiting thugs who have multiple felonies... Great job, Dick Rod. What a recruit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1eFYwhH3U&NR=1

http://www.freep.com/article/201002...to-2-Florida-burglaries-in-2007--records-show

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/07/AR2006090701712_2.html

Great student/athletes

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

chin_nuts

Registered
Forum Member
May 20, 2010
In the hot tub
Over/Under on how many years Rich Rod has left with Michigan. They are one of the few Universities left that actually care about their reputation. If Dick Rod doesn't win 7 this year he's gone IMO.