France v Denmark, Tue 11 June 2.30am ET

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Denmark only need a draw to qualify, but coach Morten Olsen says they will not play for a draw.

They are expected to be at full strength.

Yet to score a goal in the World Cup, France need a two-goal victory to qualify for the last 16.

Emmanuel Petit and striker Thierry Henry are both suspended, while sweeper Frank Leboeuf is doubtful with a groin injury.

But Zinedine Zidane is expected to return for France after missing the World Cup holder's opening two games.

Club versus country

The following clubmates could find themselves facing each other in this match:-

Chelsea
Jesper Gronkjaer (Den), Marcel Desailly (Fra)

Bolton Wanderers
Stig Tofting (Den) and Youri Djorkaeff (Fra)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH PREVIEW STATISTICS

WC = World Cup
EC = European Championship
OG = Olympic Games
F = Friendly International
Gp = Group

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
19 Oct 1908 OG R1 France 0-9 Denmark
22 Oct 1908 OG SF France 0-17 Denmark
21 Nov 1973 F France 3-0 Denmark
01 Sep 1976 F Denmark 1-1 France
07 Sep 1986 F Denmark 3-1 France
12 Jun 1984 EC Gp 1 France 1-0 Denmark
17 Jun 1992 EC Gp 1 Denmark 2-1 France
09 Nov 1996 F Denmark 1-0 France
24 Jun 1998 WC Gp C France 2-1 Denmark
11 Jun 2000 EC Gp D France 3-0 Denmark
15 Aug 2001 F France 1-0 Denmark

MATCH SHORTS

On each of the four previous occasions France and Fenmark have met in either the World Cup or the European Championship, the winner of the match has gone on to win the competition.
Denmark are guaranteed a place in the second phase of the World Cup with a draw in this game. Even a defeat could be enough, as long as it is only by a single goal.
France must win this match by two clear goals to be sure of progress into the knockout stages.
Denmark have six players on one yellow card - Tomasson, Heintze, Helveg, Laursen, Poulsen and Sand are the sextet hoping to avoid another and an automatic suspension.
France have Thierry Henry suspended for this match after his red card against Uruguay. Emmanuel Petit will also be suspended having received two yellow cards in the matches against Senegal and Uruguay.
France have yet to score at the 2002 World Cup. The only other defending champions to fail to score in their first two matches were Brazil in 1974.
Four Danish players are closing in on Michael Laudrup's Danish record of nine World Cup matches. So far this quartet have played seven matches - they are Jan Heintze, Thomas Helveg, Martin J?rgensen and Ebbe Sand.
Jon Dahl Tomasson's penalty against Senegal means that only Preben Elkj?r has scored more World Cup goals for Denmark. Tomasson joins Jesper Olsen on three World Cup goals.
Denmark have won five of their seven matches in 2002. Jon Dahl Tomasson has scored in four of the last five Danish internationals. The only one that he failed to score in was the 2-1 win against Tunisia in May.
France have only beaten South Korea in their last five matches.
Denmark have scored in all of their eleven World Cup matches but have also conceded at least a goal in their last six matches in World Cups.
Denmark's last defeat in a competitive match was their 2-0 reverse against the Czech Republic at Euro 2000. They have since played 12 competitive games without losing.
Ten of France's squad played in the 1998 World Cup match between these teams. Jan Heintze, Thomas Helveg and Martin J?rgensen started the match for Denmark and Ebbe Sand and Stig T?fting came on as substitutes for Denmark.
Thierry Henry's red card was the fourth red card that France have received at the last two World Cups.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I really think France have an exceptional chance of going out of the World Cup :D. Denmark are 12 competitive games unbeaten and with a French side sans Henry, Petit and half of ZZ, the 2-clear goal margin they need ain't gunna be easy. This looks like a difficult betting angle as the game could go in so many directions depending on the time of the 1st goal. I know I'll be bleaching my hair blonde 1st thing in the morning though.

PerpetualCzech

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Agree with Monarch ... when the motivations for the teams are so different (Denmark happy with a draw and France needing to win by 2) the tone of the game is very unpredictable and depends so much on the first goal. Best play is no play in a game like this IMO.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

nakor

Forum Member
Oct 12, 2001
Maryland
Hedge question... I have Denmark +700 (1 unit) to win Group A. Am I right that Denmark basically have to match Senegal's result tonight (as long as it's not a 2+ goal loss) to win the group?

I was thinking of playing a unit or two on Senegal to Draw (+190 or so)... I don't think it likely that France win by more than 1, and I'd get some back. Alternatively could play Senegal pk +118.

Actually have the same type of situation with Mexico +900, but will figure out what to do when the time comes.

PerpetualCzech

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
In order for Denmark to win the group they have to match Senegal's result as long as it is better than a 2+ goal loss and ALSO they have to score as many goals as Senegal does (or more). For example, if Denmark ties 1-1 and Senegal ties 3-3, Senegal would win the group.

If Senegal scores 1 more goal than Denmark and they match results (e.g. Denmark ties 1-1 and Senegal ties 2-2) then the Organising Committee draws lots to decide who finishes higher.

I don't see an easy way for you to hedge your bet, esp. since France can easily win their game by 2 goals or more.

nakor

Forum Member
Oct 12, 2001
Maryland
OK. Actually at this point drawing lots wouldn't be terrible... getting 7-1 on a 1-1 shot.

I think I'm going to put one unit each on Senegal +210 and draw +190. Then the only way I lose is if Uruguay win AND France win by more than one. But I'll have to think about it a bit longer.

Thanks for your help.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg