Franchise Business Owner

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Mickstr68

Forum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Deltona, Florida, USA
Is anyone here a franchise business owner? I'm specifically interested in the coffee / finger food business- Starbuck's, Barnies and etc. I keep thinking that one day this high priced coffee business will burst, but anytime I go by one of these places, they are packed. There is nothing like any of them in my immediate area and lots of houses- my area is currently commercially under-developed but that will change any day now.

Does anyone have direct experience in ownership of this type of business?

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
Franchising can be lucrative, but it can also be pretty scary. Understanding every word of the contract is key. Typically the franchisor holds all the power, has all the rights and all the control over everything. You're not going to be making marketing decisions on your own in most cases. You pay into a marketing fund, and have no control where the $$ gets spent. You likely won't have control over pricing, wages you pay, suppliers, anything. Be VERY CAREFUL what you get yourself into and make sure you have 2 or 3 expert franchise lawyers go over any agreement and pick it apart to the tiniest degree before you think about signing. I've heard of a lot of people getting screwed over by their franchisor.

One guy I know of in particular got screwed big time by Subway. He opened a franchise with them and was doing alright. Then two years in, Subway comes to him and says they are going to open another shop within a short walk of his place. Obviously he doesn't want to see that happen. So they tell him he's got first crack at buying the new shop (in addition to the one he's already invested in). He couldn't afford to do that, and really didn't expect he would gain a whole lot by doing so. Subway went ahead and opened the new place anyways, and the guy lost half his business - to his own chain - and couldn't do a thing about it.

60 SEC ASSASSIN

Forum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Hollywood, CA
Mickstr68 -

If you are looking to franchise a Starbucks in particular, they do not franchise operations and have no plans to franchise in the forseeable future.

Good Luck to you :SIB

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
60 SEC ASSASSIN said:
Mickstr68 -

If you are looking to franchise a Starbucks in particular, they do not franchise operations and have no plans to franchise in the forseeable future.

Good Luck to you :SIB

Yeah I was going to say, I don't think Starbucks franchises. They always have a variety of workers and never seem to have that "owner/manager" lurking around like franchise places do.

At least around here you can always tell what restraunt or store is a franchise because all the workers are the same race.

There is an Indian owned Subway near my office, all Indian workers. The Latin Quiznos, the Chinese, Russian etc etc.

Kinda funny actually

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

blgstocks

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2005
So. Cal
I dont know if CoffeeBean franchises, but if they do then they are just as popular as starbucks here in LA.