Furnace and A/C question

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Griffin8s

Devil Dog
Forum Member
Mar 18, 2009
Ohio
Just got a quote on new furnace and air conditioner, just wonder if the price sounds good. We live in N.E. Ohio and the quote is from a well known company in our area. It's a real company not the "hey I know a guy that can do A/C".

Here's what we get to replace our current 25-30yr old units:

Furnace is a Trane XV95 which is 95% efficient and 80,000 BTU's.

Air Conditioner is also a Trane XR13 which is a 13 SEER.

Plus, Flue Liner, 10yr Parts and Labor Warranty on both units, varible speed blower, digital thermostat and something they have to do with the electrical for the furnance.

Price installed $6940!!!!!! :shrug: Just don't know if getting hosed or not. (I'm a car guy not a heat & a/c guy) I know it can be done cheaper with cheaper equipment but I also know you get what you pay for.

If anyone is a heat/air guy please tell me if this price is close for these units. Thanks in advance!!

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
I hope your house is a mansion.

If not, $2500 max for a furnace, with installation. $2000 max for AC unit, with installation. Throw in $500 for the other BS, and you are looking at $5k. Get some more estimates.

I own a couple rental properties and each needed new furnaces last year, so I have a decent grasp of the cost. I got a pretty wide range of estimates. Reminds me of the time I had Mr Roof give me an estimate for my rental up in Michigan and the guy wanted $7500....I got it done for less than half that by someone else.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
mine was a few grand+ less around 4 years ago.....

and btw...the 10 year warranty requires that you have the company come back at least once a year for your periodic check-up(at least $100 bucks..so in essence,you are paying for your warranty and then some)...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Griffin8s

Devil Dog
Forum Member
Mar 18, 2009
Ohio
Last I checked it doesn't classify as a mansion. :mj07: Just a reg. split level 4 bedroom home with basement.

But with the pricing you guys mentioned is that for Trane equip. and 95% eff.? I know that the higher the effciency the more dough your spending. Plus, I like the idea of having Trane equipment if we may sell the house in 5-6yrs.

Good point about the warranty Weasel, I will make sure I ask about it tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. Please if there is more let me hear it.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
I retired from Trane after 40 years in 2002. Sold big equipment manily Asia/South America.
Products are very good. 80000 seems alittle large. That size is for a home at lest 2000 sq ft. You are right high eff cost more. But payback on saving of energy used should help pay for system. Ask the dealer for print out how much it is and payback.
THey may want to come each year. You should have it checked once a year anyway. But you can bargin that charge if there is one.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
had a "baby powder" fiend in the house using the bathroom right outside one of the intake vents and the powder gummed up the condensation run off line(causing some minor water back up and overflow into the basement)....i had to put in a "t"(with a removable cap) at the point that the run off left the furnace.....this allowed me to pour hot water or bleach into the line to keep it clean and riunning freely...

if you`re uncomfortable doing it yourself,ask your installer if he`d put a "t" with a removable cap on your condensation runoff line so you can keep it clean...even without the powder,you can still get some mineral and debris build-up periodically... they put out quite a bit of water during periods of high usage...

the trane`s are good units imo,though....i agree with djv..

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
AC problem

AC problem

The last day or so my Trane AC unit has been leaking water a little bit. I have a 10 year extended warranty on the unit with Croppe Metcalf. So Cropp Metcalf comes out today and says it is a maintenance issue (not parts) my coil is clogged and wants to charge me $300 some dollars to fix it. I read my Trane warranty and in small print it says on the back that maintenance issues are not covered, just parts/labor. So, I am wondering does Trane sell these extended warranties and have a sub do the parts/labor for them while the sub makes a bunch of money from the maintenance issues? Anyway, it doesn't seem that fair and if anybody knows more about this please reply because I want to know how this works before shelling out $300.

Thanks,

kneifl

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
just got off the phone w/ a long time friend who has been doing H/AC for over 20 years..

he laughed when I ask him how long to clean that coil..

30 min.'s tops..

do a search for Trane/AC unit Forums..

quite sure you can find a site to walk you thru it..

Which begs a question I have been meaning to ask for over a year now..

Don't you guys have buddies who do all these types of repairs ..??:shrug:

I have certified..electricans..H/AC..plumbers..woodworkers..concrete ..just about every trade you can imagine as close as my cell phone..Guys I grew up w/who I stay in touch w/and make a point to have over the house durning the holidays..

I hardly ever have to pay top dollar for any damn repair..

Lunch..20-30- 40 bucks at times and the work gets done by qualified folks in their chosen fields..

Just don't read enough stories here about friends getting the job done and saving money..

hope ya get the work done at a fair price..

300.00 for less than a hour is just bullshit.

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Thanks OS

Thanks OS

I'll definitely look into this before paying someone to do it. I've got a buddy that's a damn good handyman that I'll call if I can't do it myself.

kneifl

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Thanks Old School,

It's an XL80 and I live in a condo but I keep the air pretty low because my AC is part of my condo fee. I'll figure it out very soon I'm sure. Plan on working on this Saturday with the maintenance man for our condominiums who I just called and he said he'd help me out. Thanks for all of your help. The links you have provided have been great!

kneifl

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
you are welcome...

:nono: NEVER EVER PAY FULL PRICE..

cash..accepted everywhere..:00hour