Game #5 Overnight Thoughts

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
Wow, lots of action in this forum on this series -- a fantastic series, in my opinion, where we finally get to see the two most deserving teams in the final for a change.

As for which team is the better team, this is tough to gauge right now. The Devils are obviously deeper, and I believe that they have a slightly better defensive system, and better coaching. The Avs have obviously been getting the better goaltending, I'd say that they have more overall experience (despite the Devils coming off a cup-winning season -- the Devils are younger, overall, and have many key players who have not been in the league all that long), and they appear to be the more determined squad...so far.

This series has 7 games written all over it -- O.T. in game #7 would be great (before the series I jokingly called O.T. in game #7 and a Devils win but Sakic taking the Conn Smythe ... what are the odds? probably better now than at the start of the series). Obviously it could end in six, but I figure that whoever loses Monday's game will being playing some desperate hockey -- game #6 looks like a decent under play, especially if the Avs win game #5, but either way I expect to be on the under in #6.

As for #5...well, I've been thinking about the side in this one and can't see any obvious play. The line I'm getting is -110 for either side. Colorado has the home ice, an extremely hot Roy and the possibility of not having to face Jason Arnott (I would bet big coin that he will play). New Jersey has the momentum from game #4, including a relieved Brodeur who is still being outplayed (notice that Brodeur seems to be doing a lot of flopping around while making save in this series? seems to be getting out of position for rebounds), a Scott Stevens who appears to be waking up, and a revived Larry Robinson who's juggling of line match-ups for game #4 allowed the Devils to dominate the game for a good part; game #4 saw Robinson putting his checking line out against the Sakic line, which he hadn't been doing in the first 3 games despite this lines success against opposing team's top lines in the previous series'; the Avs will have last line change, so this might slightly diminish this factor, but both teams appear to be making quick changes so it's hard to say how this matching up will play; quick line changes will be a definate occurence in this one, with both team's shifting back to the thin air of Denver.

I'm again tempted to play the under, though I think the game #6 under is the better play. The under hasn't been a loser yet in this series (it's been 5 where I book for every game) though it was a push in #'s 1 and 4. My book has this one at 4.5 and +115. If this move to 5 then it will, no doubt, be a -115 or -120. Both of these teams can score, but both are phenomenal defensively. Brodeur can play better than he's played, and Roy...
...I had some interesting thoughts about Roy just moments before his boneheaded play. He had been making some great saves all game, and had looked amazingly focused (as he has all, or most, of the series). My thought was that 'wow, we're witnessing possibly the greatest goalie of all-time here...he's had a stellar career and is performing at the top of his game in these playoffs!' Next thing I know and
BOOM
bonehead play and the best I can do on my under is a push (which I was lucky to get as Jersey looked like they'd get a sure empty-net goal in the dying seconds).

Still, Roy will be a factor again. The 'Lanche have played great defense at home all season and this should be no different. With Robinson back to his smarter line match-ups, Jersey may keep the puck out as well.

Nothing for me, yet. I need to sleep on this one.

Leaning towards under 4.5 +115
and New Jersey -110.
I'm not too confident about the latter, mostly because of the goaltending discrepancy...it's tough not to call this game a 50/50 proposition, actually, as far as the side goes. I just have the sense that Robinson's line methodology may be the key to shifting this series in the Devils favour. I'm going to wait for some news on Arnott, also, but this will supposedly be a game-time decision.
It also may not be smart to bet against Roy.
Although he is only human.

Isn't he?

Catch ya on the flipside.
Extrapolater

Mr. Promises Delivered

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 1999
New York
I'm curious, what makes you think the Devils seem to be the more determined squad so far?

I'd say the way they've both played, they both want it especially the last game where we saw it from both sides.

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
Actually, if you re-read my post I stated that I thought that the" Av's were the more determined squad -- so far". I just mentioned the Devils in a digression that tried to qualify why I stated that the Av's have more experience. I understand the confusion though; I had to read it over a couple of times to confirm that I hadn't posted what I hadn't posted.

Anyway...
obviously this was not the best game in the series, as far as edge-of-the-seat, who's-gonna-win kinda entertainment.
Still, there was several flurries of good action, especially in the first and second.

Monday I helped my grandmother move into a retirement home, so I was not able to post my picks.
Oh well, 1-1 anyhow. The loss (total) was my first losing play in the series. I should've hunted around for a 5, but took a one unit play at 4.5. With all the scoring chances, I'm surprised that there was only 5 scored. Hindsight is 20/20, but I can see, now, why the under wasn't the greatest play in this one. I put two units on the Devils pick, which I was advocating in the post above, as I gave more consideration to this line-matching idea, and I figured that it would continue to benefit Robinson's squad. I also thought that the Devils might be more anxious to get at Roy, having beaten him three times in game #4, the most in the series to that point.
I made the wagers without any new info on Jason Arnott, and I guess that my "big coin that he will play" was a losing proposition.

As for game #6, on Thursday, I'm hoping for the big + on the Avs, which I'll probably take a shot at. A 5 on the total means I'm hopping on the under.

4-0 on sides in the series.
1-1-2 on totals.
I'm due to lose a side in this series...if that makes any sense (e.g. after x number of heads a tails is "due" to come up) then it looks like Jersey will end it in six.

Hopefully the Avs will wake up defensively for game #6. I still want to see this series go 7.

Bet on MyBookie