img0022f.jpg

img0023bqu.jpg

img0016r.jpg

hedgehog

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
TX
nice pics, my dad has one of those cameras, I will try to get them from him and post

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bubbas1

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2003
Wisconsin
Had a great Memorial Day weekend up north. Ended up with 2,000 pics total. Mostly deer and blackbirds.

Finally got color pics. Still dont know if its a bobcat or lynx. Going to send to DNR to find out. UPDATE..Searched on the internet and it is a bobcat because the tail has a black tip with white underneath. Lynxs dont have that.

img0154xca.jpg

img0155ryg.jpg

img0156jbd.jpg

img0157d.jpg

Had a couple of dozen pics of the bear. Wife went up on Thursday and can with corn in it was tipped over. Had to be the bear because nothing else can get the lid off. She picked it up and put the cover back on. Fri morning it was knocked over again with the lid off. Have never had a bear come that close (10 ft) to the cabin while someone was in the cabin.
img0967c.jpg

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
love those standing shots of the bear!! Can you hunt bears in your area? If so, can u use bait?

Six

you know you can use bait. He is putting corn out to get them in close.

I wouldn't mind sitting in the cabin late at night with a .50 caliber and a night scope. The bear comes up and knocks over the corn barrel. The corn spills on the ground/

My wife screams and is in fear of her life with a bear that close on my property.

BOOM !

fare thee well and adieu you bear of Wisconsin ,

fare thee well and adiew you bear of the land

for you got too close to my corn barrell of food

I blew off your head

and now you have none.

PS - happy birthday Six

Last edited:

bubbas1

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2003
Wisconsin
love those standing shots of the bear!! Can you hunt bears in your area? If so, can u use bait?

They can be hunted in the area and baiting is allowed. You have to apply each year and you get 1 point each time. Usually it takes 7 points to get a tag. Wife has 6 points so far so she will put in for a tag next year. She is going to try to take one with a bow. For bait they have places that sell 50 gal drums of cookies, chocolate, and marshmellows.

We put bacon strips in the trees to get the pics of the bear standing up.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bubbas1

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2003
Wisconsin
Our land is getting cut so I put a camera off the back of the property on public land. Dont need the logger cutting down a tree with my camera attached.

Looks like the start of a nice rack.
img0253i.jpg

Momma bear with cub in tree.
img0289w.jpg

The whole family.
img0318hbt.jpg

#cruncher

Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
New Orleans
Not for sure...but I've heard it said, that pound for pound, the bobcat is probably the tuffest thing in the woods...Several years ago my son and I were squirrel hunting around Nicholasville, Ky and stumbled across one (at least I hoped it was at the time)...Well, I'll never forget that 'scream'...literally made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
They can be hunted in the area and baiting is allowed. You have to apply each year and you get 1 point each time. Usually it takes 7 points to get a tag. Wife has 6 points so far so she will put in for a tag next year. She is going to try to take one with a bow. For bait they have places that sell 50 gal drums of cookies, chocolate, and marshmellows.

We put bacon strips in the trees to get the pics of the bear standing up.

Why would anyone kill a bear unless out of self defense?

Woodson

L I V I N
Forum Member
Oct 23, 1999
Blockchain
She is going to try to take one with a bow. For bait they have places that sell 50 gal drums of cookies, chocolate, and marshmellows.

I understand hunting for game. Hell, I enjoy it. But for sport... nah, not for this Southern boy.

I wish you safe hunting, but I'm pulling for the bear to get away unscathed. :tongue

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
Where it is real F ing COLD
Why would anyone kill a bear unless out of self defense?

I know many who hunt black bears and this is the reason I get...

1. Many hunters get a huge satisfaction and adrenaline rush from killing especially an animal as large as a bear.
2. I know many that think bears are just a plain nuiscance and want them off their property.
3. Most hunters use them to make a nice rug.. To hang on a wall.
4. A select few hunt them to eat the meat. I have had it before... Burgers were good but the steaks not so much.
5. People where I live who hunt were taught to hunt from generation to generation.
6. People have a misconception about bears and their personality traits. Some depict a black bear as a real threat to humans and their house hold pets. Which is stupid unless you were attacked by one which you here about every 2 years or so in this area.

Now grizzly bears are a different breed..

I will just add to this and say I hunted small game for years and gave it up because the population runs in cycles and the down years just outweighed the good years, but I hate bear hunting. What I get a laugh at is when hunters talk about how smart the animal is or how difficult it is to kill a bear. A bow wiill require much more skill, patience, and nerves as I am sure the adrenaline flows when a big animal gets that close, but killing a bear with a gun is easy and some people use dogs to run them up a tree to shoot em. Now someone has to tell me how that is hunting? Hunters will say that the bear has an instinct to stay away from you and it does, but what the bear doesn't know is that you have a gun. Now if the bear knew you had a gun then I would call it hunting..

On the flip side though,
Hunters are needed for game management as the black bear population in Wisconsin is sky rocketing much faster than the DNR predicted. More and more bears are found in urban areas.. Not the bear's fault.

bubbas1

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2003
Wisconsin
I know many who hunt black bears and this is the reason I get...

1. Many hunters get a huge satisfaction and adrenaline rush from killing especially an animal as large as a bear.
2. I know many that think bears are just a plain nuiscance and want them off their property.
3. Most hunters use them to make a nice rug.. To hang on a wall.
4. A select few hunt them to eat the meat. I have had it before... Burgers were good but the steaks not so much.
5. People where I live who hunt were taught to hunt from generation to generation.
6. People have a misconception about bears and their personality traits. Some depict a black bear as a real threat to humans and their house hold pets. Which is stupid unless you were attacked by one which you here about every 2 years or so in this area.

1. Agree with the adreniline rush...but for us thats not even on the list of reasons to hunt.
2. Dont have any problem with them on our property.
3. If the wife gets one next year a rug definatley gets made.
4. For us...If it gets taken it gets consumed. For bear it would be mainly slim jims, jerky and burgers.
5. Ive only seriously hunted for 9 years (since I met the wife). The wife was taught to hunt from her father when she was young. She has many great memories of being in the woods with him. Her son dosent have an interest in hunting and there is nothing wrong with that. Its not for everyone.
6. Agree here. Black bears want nothing to do with humans for the most part. Most problems come if you somehow get between a sow and her cubs...then you(or your pet) have a real problem.

3 things I cannot stand are hunting bear with dogs, shooting any animal on a game farm, or shooting just to hang a mount (without eating the meat).

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

luvmy$$$

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2009
Wiscy
Hey Bubba, what part of WI are you from? or better yet where were the pics from? You have a frikin zoo going on your property, lol. (I'm in the northern milwaukee area). Great pics. I'm not a hunter, but respect hunters. Especially when they clean out their deep freezers to make room for fresh meat, lol. I work with a handful of hunters and enjoy their stories and traditions. One last thing, nothing beats venison breakfast sausages...:00hour