IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Thu, Aug. 18, 2005

Lumpkin returns to full contact

First workout for running back since spring game in '04

The biggest news of Wednesday's two-hour scrimmage was the encouraging performance of running back Kregg Lumpkin , who returned to full contact for the first time since the spring game in 2004.

Lumpkin missed all of last year due to a torn ACL and was held out of live work for the first two weeks this fall.

"He looked rusty for about two plays, and then he really ran the ball extremely well," coach Mark Richt said. "I would have to think this really boosted his confidence in his knee."

Lumpkin, who was not available for comment after the scrimmage, had runs of 30 and 10 yards, Richt said.

"Danny Ware ran real good and so did (Thomas Brown )," Richt said. "Those guys are still real impressive, but Kregg didn't disappoint us today."

Brown had more than 100 yards receiving on the day on two catches alone, Richt said. Starting quarterback D.J. Shockley ran for one touchdown and threw for another to tight end Leonard Pope , Richt said.

Still, the defense outscored the offense for the day. Linebacker Marcus Washington , playing with the No. 1 defense, picked up a fumble and scored, as did defensive end Marcus Howard , who played with the No. 2 defense. Charles Johnson, playing with the No. 1 defense, batted a pass and then intercepted it and ran it in for a touchdown.

The No. 2 offense, quarterbacked by Joe Cox andBlake Barnes , didn't score.

"The No. 2s just had no prayer," Richt said. "The No. 1 defense looked good today."

Injury update

Offensive guard Nick Jones (ankle) hopes to be back by Friday or Saturday, he said. Danny Verdun Wheeler (ankle) was still on crutches Wednesday due to a sprained ankle. Offensive lineman Josh Brock (concussion) and defensive linemen Kedric Golston (hip) and Gerald Anderson (ankle) remain sidelined. There were no new injuries after Wednesday's scrimmage, Richt said.

Competition

Offensive line coach Neil Callaway has been very pleased with the progress of backup tackles Ken Shackleford and Chester Adams , particularly Shackleford, he said. In fact, it's possible that Shackleford could unseat Daniel Inman or Dennis Roland as a starter.

"I feel like I'm very close," said Shackleford, who backs up Inman at the split tackle spot. "As far as the mental aspect, I've come a long, long way. Last year, I had a lot of questions. I've had the physical aspect down since last year. I just had to put the mental and physical together."