goverment controlling land

snoozer

Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
Berkley, MI
Not a big political person, but this just doesn't seem right. I can understand for public use, but not sure about allowing this for private businesses.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- -- The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses -- even against their will -- for private economic development.

It was a decision fraught with huge implications for a country with many areas, particularly the rapidly growing urban and suburban areas, facing countervailing pressures of development and property ownership rights.

The 5-4 ruling represented a defeat for some Connecticut residents whose homes are slated for destruction to make room for an office complex. They argued that cities have no right to take their land except for projects with a clear public use, such as roads or schools, or to revitalize blighted areas.

As a result, cities have wide power to bulldoze residences for projects such as shopping malls and hotel complexes to generate tax revenue.

Local officials, not federal judges, know best in deciding whether a development project will benefit the community, justices said.

"The city has carefully formulated an economic development that it believes will provide appreciable benefits to the community, including -- but by no means limited to -- new jobs and increased tax revenue," Justice John Paul Stevens wrote for the majority.

He was joined by Justice Anthony Kennedy, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.

At issue was the scope of the Fifth Amendment, which allows governments to take private property through eminent domain if the land is for "public use."

Susette Kelo and several other homeowners in a working-class neighborhood in New London, Connecticut, filed suit after city officials announced plans to raze their homes for a riverfront hotel, health club and offices.

New London officials countered that the private development plans served a public purpose of boosting economic growth that outweighed the homeowners' property rights, even if the area wasn't blighted.

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who has been a key swing vote on many cases before the court, issued a stinging dissent. She argued that cities should not have unlimited authority to uproot families, even if they are provided compensation, simply to accommodate wealthy developers.

The lower courts had been divided on the issue, with many allowing a taking only if it eliminates blight.

"Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party, but the fallout from this decision will not be random," O'Connor wrote. "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process, including large corporations and development firms."

She was joined in her opinion by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, as well as Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
They argued that cities have no right to take their land except for projects with a clear public use, such as roads or schools, or to revitalize blighted areas.

I think someone brought up this case a while back, and I think I commented something like, "No way that passes the courts - It clearly is not a case of public emminent domain."

I'm amazed. As a degree holder in City Planning, this is very disturbing. What the hell were thay teaching me?

How dare those homes and families who dwell within get in the way of someone elses' massive profits. :cursin:

Last edited:

cooz3

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
boston
im sure this is exactly what the founding fathers were thinking ...allow government to take someones home to build a mall...YEP..

amazes me that we dont hera more debate over a age limint for the Supreme Court Justices ...not necc. applicable here ...but just how much can an 80 year old have a grasp of the changing public opinion ...my grandfather is in his 80's and God bless him...but deciding the LAW OF THE LAND...i dont think so ..

cooz

cooz3

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
boston
and one other thing..I dont always agree with Scalia..but at least he is somewhat consistent on his interpretation of the constitution..and i can respect and live with that

cooz

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
total bull$hit. every american should be troubled by this...... i consider myself conservative, - this is horrid. i cannot believe this is what the constitution was meant to be. i'm sure gun control is next.

TonyTT

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2002
Ohio
I agree guys...this is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS! I'm sure that well over 80 % of Americans would totally agree that THIS IS WRONG!
It's high time that Americans take a stand and ban together on this issue. I'm willing and ready to join any group and throw what little resources I have available to fight this WRONG!
:cursin: TT

snoozer

Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
Berkley, MI
This was in the Detroit News today regarding the decision... even though it was a supreme court decision, looks like it is still up to the state...

Michigan law aids owner in land use

High court backs state constitution

Michigan property owners have nothing to fear from a U.S. Supreme Court ruling Thursday that allows governments to seize private property against an owner's will in the name of economic development.

Even as the court allowed the City of New London, Conn., to displace homeowners for a new mixed-use waterfront project, it acknowledged that individual states have the right to erect tougher standards than the one applied in the Connecticut case.

It then cited Michigan's Supreme Court ruling of a year ago that barred Wayne County from seizing homes south of Metro Airport for an industrial park. That case, known as Wayne County v. Hathcock after one of the local homeowners, held that the state's 1963 constitution bars such seizures for economic development.

"We emphasize that nothing in our opinion precludes any state from placing further restrictions on its exercise of the takings power," Justice John Paul Stevens wrote in Thursday's decision in Kelo v. City of New London.

It means that Michigan is going to protect private property rights, said Alan Ackerman, a Troy-based attorney who represents landowners. "It gives individuals a little more security in Michigan than in some other states. The big boys can't grab you quite as fast."

"It doesn't mean that, somewhere down the road, some government in Michigan may not try to find a case and take it all the way up to the Supreme Court," Jerry Pesick, a Southfield-based land-use attorney, said Thursday.

But he added, "I think Hathcock is going to be the law here in Michigan for many, many years."

If Michigan property owners enjoy protection under Hathcock against such government seizures, the ruling by a divided Supreme Court permits such takings anywhere else where a state ban is not in place.

The 5-4 ruling -- assailed by dissenting Justice Sandra Day O'Connor as handing "disproportionate influence and power" to the well-heeled in America -- was a defeat for the Connecticut residents.

Among the New London residents the city has tried to force out of their homes was Wilhelmina Dery, who was born in her home in 1918 and has lived there all her life.

The homeowners had argued that cities have no right to take their land except for projects with a clear "public use," such as roads or schools, or to revitalize blighted areas.

For at least two decades, cities have used a broader "public purpose" standard to bulldoze residences for projects such as shopping malls and hotel complexes in order to generate tax revenue.

Writing for the court's majority in Thursday's ruling, Stevens said local officials, not federal judges, know best in deciding whether a development project would benefit the community.

Stevens was joined in his opinion by other members of the court's liberal wing, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer. The bloc typically has favored greater deference to cities, which historically have used the takings power for urban renewal projects.

They were joined by Reagan appointee Justice Anthony Kennedy in rejecting the conservative principle of individual property rights.

O'Connor argued that cities should not have unlimited authority to uproot families, even if they are provided compensation, simply to accommodate wealthy developers.

"Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party, but the fallout from this decision will not be random," she wrote. "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process, including large corporations and development firms."

Connecticut residents involved in the lawsuit expressed dismay and pledged to keep fighting.

"It's a little shocking to believe you can lose your home in this country," said resident Bill Von Winkle, who said he would refuse to leave his home, even if bulldozers show up.

"I won't be going anywhere. Not my house. This is definitely not the last word."

At issue was the scope of the Fifth Amendment, which allows governments to take private property through eminent domain if the land is for public use.

The City of New London was backed in its appeal by the National League of Cities, which argued that a city's eminent domain power is critical to spurring urban renewal with development projects such as Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Kansas City's Kansas Speedway.

But Patrick Wright, a legal analyst with the Mackinac Center for Public Policy in Midland, criticized the court's reasoning. "Under this decision," he said, "nearly all American homeowners who lack protection from abusive takings under their state constitutions or state laws are at risk, since their houses will never generate the tax revenue and economic activity that commercial establishments will."

Under the ruling, residents still are entitled to "just compensation" for their homes as provided under the Fifth Amendment.

JT

Degenerate
Forum Member
Mar 28, 2000
Ventura, Ca.
Don't like this decision at all either. Find myself certainly agreeing with the more conservative members of the bench on this one.

Franky Wright

Forum Member
May 28, 2002
Heaven, oh!!, this isn't it?!
snoozer said:
Stevens was joined in his opinion by other members of the court's liberal wing, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer. The bloc typically has favored greater deference to cities, which historically have used the takings power for urban renewal projects.

Liberal Commie Bastards win another one
:scared UGH :cursin:

BahamaMama

not banned
Forum Member
Dec 6, 1999
Davenport, Iowa
sigh, my hometown area took advantage of this ALREADY!!!! it was in one of the Illinois Quad Cities for a Hy-Vee Grocery Store (where Kurt Warner used to work ;) ) the have told the remaining holdout homeowner that they HAVE to sell to Hy-Vee....geez that SUCKS!!!! kinda making me more happy about selling my house in MN before it managed to go commercial tho.....kept hoping for the commercial day when i could dump it for 3 times it's value...guess those days are over :(

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
Franky Wright said:
Liberal Commie Bastards win another one
:scared UGH :cursin:

See.... you can't even discuss something like this without it turning into political bullshit. As was pointed out in the P/R forum, this is the same court that recently voted down medical marijurana, which certainly doesn't lend any credence to it being a "liberal" court.

Both sides of the political fence, at least based on the responses in this thread and the similiar one in the P/R thread, appear to be livid about this decision. So stop with the "liberal commie bastard" bullshit. We ALL think this sucks.

cisco

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 2000
usa/mexico
Now, corporations will tell the landowner "you take what i offer or i'll have the government condemm it and i'll get it for less"

What kind of crap is this???

onetrickpony

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2003
Dallas

taoist

The Sage
Forum Member
The Tables Turn On Justice Souter!!!

The Tables Turn On Justice Souter!!!

...turn about is fair play!!! :mj07:

Press Release
For Release Monday, June 27 to New Hampshire media
For Release Tuesday, June 28 to all other media

Weare, New Hampshire (PRWEB) Could a hotel be built on the land owned by Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter? A new ruling by the Supreme Court which was supported by Justice Souter himself itself might allow it. A private developer is seeking to use this very law to build a hotel on Souter's land.

Justice Souter's vote in the "Kelo vs. City of New London" decision allows city governments to take land from one private owner and give it to another if the government will generate greater tax revenue or other economic benefits when the land is developed by the new owner.

On Monday June 27, Logan Darrow Clements, faxed a request to Chip Meany the code enforcement officer of the Towne of Weare, New Hampshire seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road. This is the present location of Mr. Souter's home.

Clements, CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, points out that the City of Weare will certainly gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Mr. Souter to own the land.

The proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Caf?" and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America. Instead of a Gideon's Bible each guest will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged."

Clements indicated that the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land because it is a unique site being the home of someone largely responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans.

"This is not a prank" said Clements, "The Towne of Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter we can begin our hotel development."

Clements' plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise investment capital for the project. Clements hopes that regular customers of the hotel might include supporters of the Institute For Justice and participants in the Free State Project among others.

:) :)

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
i really hope this happens. sack of Shat !!! this is a ruling that should be reversed. be nice to see someone get screwed by a ruling - that i am sure never thought would affect him

Bet on MyBookie