Handicapping for Idiots

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Rudy

Forum Member
Apr 3, 2000
San Francisco, CA
This is one of the few weeks where the public perception is so easily identifyable and so blatantly wrong. We're all more fired up about Week One than just about any other week of the season, and we all have probably spent more time handicapping this week, both because we've been doing our fantasy football work and because we've had the lines to look at over the long weekend.

We also are all more active in playing preseason games in recent years, and even though we know darn well that the games didn't count, they have contributed to forming our opinions. It also seems that every year after the first week we look back and have to dramatically reassess some of our opinions after a losing week. I think I've had a down week in the first week for each of the last three years. In my case, it's always because I've paid TOO MUCH attention to the preseason and the chatter leading up to the start of the season.

This year I'm going to use that to my advantage. In brief, this is my list of public perceptions (misconceptions?) that I see and which side that leads me to play. A couple make me want to barf, and those are usually the best picks:

1. The Jets have lost Pennington and the Redskins have signed away a bunch of their players. PLAY JETS.

2. Giants tanked the preseason, have infighting, coach's job on the line. Warner & the Rams are back. PLAY GIANTS.

3. Falcons' season over before it starts with Vick out, Dallas playing well under Parcells. PLAY ATLANTA.

4. Bears have nothing, Kordell looks uncomfortable in offense. Niners solid all around, Garcia excelled in limited playing time. PLAY CHICAGO.

5. Raiders completely suck, look old and out of sync. Titans' McNair and George healthy, ready to challenge NE and MIA for Super Bowl. PLAY OAKLAND.

Add to the list if you see others. I'm going to double up if any of these show up on Nolan's pal Goldman's list. I was tempted to put the Bengals in there, but the one aphorism I can't get over is, "Friends don't let friends bet the Bengals."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

freelancc

Forum Member
Aug 18, 2002
Nevada
Re: Handicapping for Idiots

Rudy said:
I was tempted to put the Bengals in there, but the one aphorism I can't get over is, "Friends don't let friends bet the Bengals."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lots of wisdom in your post.. good luck:cool:

Rudy

Forum Member
Apr 3, 2000
San Francisco, CA
I thought about Houston, but one of my mistakes in week one last year was playing Detroit +9.5 against Miami. The Fish wiped the floor with them. Plus, I haven't detected excessive Miami height. Still, like Capers in that deep underdog role. Just wish he had some tools.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Hooks

Forum Member
Aug 14, 2000
VEGAS
Rudy, this is unfortunatley, exactly how you should think when deciding what wagers to make and do this EVERY week!!
More times than not you will end up on the right side.
This is a great post buddy ;)
See you at the cashiers window :toast:

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Rudy

Rudy

I forget that game.....

Do you remember anything about the line? I.E: Did it move around during the week? how many people bet Miami opposed to Detroit.

Just curious....

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
I do remember that Miami game last year.

By my records Mia opened at -8 on Sunday night, and closed at -9 across the board. Last year was the first year I kept track of each week's opening and closing number...so any more questions like this, fire away. :)

I may be a bit off on these opening numbers (wasn't paying attention at the start of the week), but for the games mentioned here, this is what I have for openers (earliest line I saw) and currents (hardly scientific btw, I am sure everyone out there will have different #'s)....

Washington -3+05, now ranging from -3+00 to -3-10. Slight move towards Wash.

NYG -1?, now anywhere from NYG -1 to StL -1. Move towards StL.

Dallas Pk, now Dallas -2. Strong money on Dallas. This one I really don't get. I seriously doubt this is sharp money, just Cowboys fans who see a glimmer of hope. I believe Atlanta to be a fairly strong play this week. Gonna wait it out.

San Fran -6?, now San Fran -7. The books set that line for a reason I think...they wanted SF $$. Don't anticipate it moving off the 7 now.

Tennessee -2?, now Tenn -3 to -3-15. Again, looks like you are on the money with this. However in this case I AM inclined to believe the hype. I am not saying I will take Tenn for sure, but I am holding off touching the Raiders until I see a few positives.

=============================================

One final footnote....something I have had some success with, the "First game after the injury theory" (which says to bet ON the team that has just lost it's star player, in the first game he is out of action). I am not sure if it's in play this week or not with Atlanta and the Jets, as they DID have preseason games without their starting QB's. But this is the first game that MATTERS after the injury.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
GM, did you track o/u results last year. If so, do you happen to know what the o/u breakdown was for all games in weeks 1 and 2??

Thanks,

rrc

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Looks a little bit like....

Looks a little bit like....

the return of Nolan's polyester man.

Your thinking is solid. Good luck.

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
CWood97 -

Not sure if you are asking which way the totals moved, or just how many games were Overs and how many were Unders. I'll assume it's the latter though....

Week 1 last year, 12 Overs and 4 Unders. An average of 49.3 PPG. For the season, 43.7 PPG were scored. So it looks great for Overs. But...before we get too excited....

Week 1 - 2001 : 5 Overs, 10 Unders, 36.4 PPG.
Week 1 - 2000 : 5 Overs, 10 Unders, 38.8 PPG.
Week 1 - 1999 : 8 Overs, 7 Unders, 47.3 PPG.

I ~was~ starting to think we were seeing a low-scoring opening week trend going into last season, but that idea was quickly squashed.

Week 2 - 2002 : 6 Overs, 9 Unders, 1 push, 40.9 PPG.
Week 2 - 2001 : 5 Overs, 8 Unders, 1 push, 36.1 PPG.
Week 2 - 2000 : 10 Overs, 4 Under, 1 push, 48.8 PPG.
Week 2 - 1999 : 5 Overs, 10 Unders, 39.3 PPG.

No real trends, unless you are betting on there being a Push on one total in Week 2. :)

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
Thanks for all the info GM! I thought there may be an over trend the past two seasons in week 1-2, but it looks like just week 1 2002. :shrug: