Happy Birthday Marines....228 years and counting

Carpet

Forum Member
Nov 27, 2000
Chicago,Illinois,USA
November 10th 1775 a few good men got together at Tun Tavern.... Eagles territory (Philly) and called themselves Marines.

By an Act of the Continental Congress the U.S. Marine Corps was founded.

Every year on November 10 Marines of all rank and status celebrate the birth and tradition of our Corps.

Our Nations oldest stands ready to defend our great country to protect our way of life.

Tonight with great respect I want I want to wish the Marines thanks for a "Job well done" and a very Happy Birthday.

Please join me..

Semper Fi,

Carpet

Statman02

Forum Member
Jan 29, 2000
Colonel Richard Gridley
(No known Picture)

America's First Chief Engineer

(June 1775-April 1776)

Born January 3, 1710, in Boston, Massachusetts, Richard Gridley was the outstanding American military engineer during the French and Indian wars from the Siege of Louisburg in 1745 to the fall of Quebec. For his services he was awarded a commission in the British Army, a grant of the Magdalen Islands, 3,000 acres of land in New Hampshire, and a life annuity. When the break with the mother country came, he stood with the colonies and was made Chief Engineer in the New England Provincial Army. He laid out the defenses on Breed's Hill and was wounded at the Battle of Bunker Hill. He was appointed Chief Engineer of the Continental Army after Washington took command in July 1775. He directed the construction of the fortifications which forced the British to evacuate Boston in March 1776. When Washington moved his Army south, Gridley remained as Chief Engineer of the New England Department. He retired in 1781 at age 70. He died June 21, 1796, in Stoughton, Massachusetts.

from the US Army Corps of Engineers history page........when I was in the Army back in 1967 they told me that the Army was the first American military establishment......well if Washington took command of the Continental Army in July of 1775 and those Marines didn't get together in Tun's bar until Nov 10 of 1775 then I would tend to think that the Army is the nation's oldest service........Happy Veterans day everyone......and Semper Fi mac

HighRoller

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2002
OT :JACK PLEASE MOVE:

OT :JACK PLEASE MOVE:

Please move this to the GENERAL FORUM !

:topic:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Carpet

Forum Member
Nov 27, 2000
Chicago,Illinois,USA
Ok we moved it as off topic......... I give.........sorry

Let me ask you a question, Do you think for one minute if there was not a United States Marine Corps you would be betting on pro football....?

To dismiss a simple birthday greeting to our Corps would not have broken your back.

Maybe when your are forced to bet on rats racing to the rice you will get the message........Shallow Dude, very Shallow............

To hell with your thinking High Roller........

Semper Fi.....

Carpet

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
Statman,

While the USMC may not be the first "born" service. We are the service that has been around the "longest" because of the way the government operated back in the day. A few times the Army and Navy were disbanded and stood down and not a recognized department of our defense system.

So while we were not the first born, we are the longest continually running service.