HDTV Question

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Ok.

So I got the TV a few months ago, and love it. However, I went to my uncles today, and he has a similar setup, widescreen. However, it was a lot clearer, and he made the point that in "true hi def" you cannot change the size of the tv broadcast, ie wide/to supwerwide/4:3, etc. My tuner options on my tv are only cable and antenna, no digital option. Now, I also never hooked up a DVI/HDMI to the set. Is this the only reason I am not unleashing the full potential of my HDTV?

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Bombs

Forum Member
Jan 29, 2003
Earth
Having an HDTV doesnt mean anything if you don't have an HDTV feed. Actually, its a huge waste of money because HDTV's do worse with standard broadcasts than an analog TV. You need to get an HDTV box from your cable or satellite company and get with the program.

Penguinfan

Thread banned
Forum Member
Dec 5, 2001
Vanished into vortex
Bombs, you seem to know about this. I just got a 36 inch widescreen HDTV monitor. I really could not have went bigger because of the size of the room it's in. I am not sure I am impressed with the picture quality, but also won't have the High Def feed till Jan 4th because the cable company has to send someone to "install" it. I guess you need a degree to plug in the new box or something. In any event are you serious about the TV not handling the analog feed? I don't even have degital cable now, just basic. Only reason I even have that is because I get my internet through the cable system and it's cheaper to get both cable and internet than just internet. If ESPN was a broadcast channel I probably could do without the cable tv to be honest. In any event will this thing get much better when the digital/HDTV broacast is turned on or what. I think I like the widescreen picture, but the quality as it sits could be better.
Thanks for any help.
Penguinfan

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Penguin!

Just got off the phone w/Comcast. It was important, in my case for the connection of the TV to be in a rear AV input. In my case, it went to AV4. It is very important the component video red/green/blue as well as aud and vid are in one of these slots. Having the TV simply on channel 3 will not do it justice at all. I'm seriously sitting here watching some document on ancient egypt. When the game comes on, i'm gonna have to be carried out of the room.

Penguinfan

Thread banned
Forum Member
Dec 5, 2001
Vanished into vortex
Glad your enjoying it HogMan, I have to wait a week yet to get them out here to hook this up. What about changing the screen size with the HDTV, is that still an option or not?Z

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
HDTVs, based on brand will allow you to change during HDTV coverage. For example, the best viewing picture of HDTV on mine is "Widescreen." Before I fixed the setup, the best was a zoom widescreen called "16:9 zoom" I think. Now, the best is the simple widescreen, which makes sense. I just went to a Comcast service center, and literally exchanged boxes, as the HD converter is built into the cable box.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg