heelsfan

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

DV8gambler

Forum Member
Nov 19, 2000
Shepherdsville,Ky. ,U.S.A.
Normally I wouldn't try to offer any il-guided advice on the ponies since everyone has their own beliefs and angles on why horses run well on a given day. But, you left my door open by saying you're still learning, so take it for what it's worth.

I've been handicapping horses for 15-20 yrs. Sometimes good, lots of times not. I used to be partners on a tipsheet for KY tracks on a web site a couple years back, successful plays, unsuccessful sales, partner quit and I,m a computer dummy. Anyway just wanted you to know I have a little knowledge of the game before I refer you to spending $.

Check out free-horseracing-info.com, I AM NOT affiliated with this site, he's in NY and I'm in KY. I did order his book about a year ago and found it well worth the $50. HOWEVER, no book is a sure fire way of winning, but it will improve your skills in handicapping a race. Experience and learning why you lost is the best way to add to your own book of knowledge.

Sorry for the rambling, but maybe it will help you a little in a tough game.

gl, WGH

by the way WGH are not my initials, it stand for World"s Greatest Handicapper. SELF PROCLAIMED of course.;)

Patternseeker

Forum Member
Oct 15, 2001
wgh

wgh

thanks for taking the time to share the info.

i lived in lex for three years, took a couple classes from a guy named walters, loved keeneland. even hung out at the red mile with my wife some, on summer nights when the a/c wasn't doing the job. talk about 20 bucks changing the odds. the harness game doesn't interest me, though.

i even had the notion of writing a book, a book of interviews with people who actually do this as a day job. seems like quinn is the only guy who gets published, or i mean, seems like the same circle of handicappers, like beyer, brohamer. i wanted to interview people to look at their psychological makeup, as i believe that is as important to winning as anything.

thanks again, and love the initials.

mine should be WWGH (wannbe world's greatest handicapper)

heelsfan

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2002
Virginia
Hey thank you!!
I will definetly take a look at the site and go from there. I will always welcome any suggestions so feel free to hand out whatever advice you wish. I am not a big time player in sports or horses so I just put a little on races here and there. My bankroll is growing thanks to a pretty good basketball and football seasons so I am looking to expand into horses b/c I have always enjoyed horse racing. I am glad to know there are people like you who are willing to help others and are not so selfish when it comes to winning some loot. So thank you again and take care. Maybe I can learn enough to help others on this forum.

thanks again

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Patternseeker

Forum Member
Oct 15, 2001
actually, guys, one of the things i find most confounding is money management.

i've started keeping a log of my wagers. it seems like my exotic wagers eat my bankroll. i mean i'm placing 4 to win 8 to place, showing a little profit, then look back at my 27 bucks tri part wheel and finding i'm not hitting them often enough to make money.

guess this means my betting is lopsided? should be 8 to win, 16 to place?

anyone besides JRD use 1 unit to win and 3 to place?

DV8gambler

Forum Member
Nov 19, 2000
Shepherdsville,Ky. ,U.S.A.
I hear you Patternseeker.

I hear you Patternseeker.

Although I consider myself a fairly decent handicapper, like most gamblers I'll get the big pay off in my eyes and start spending more on tri's and super's. Seems like all to often all I come away with is a coulda, shoulda, woulda story about gettin close, again.
Guess I think my next big hit is always my next wager, but I'll keep trying because I don't won't to beleive my biggest score has come and gone.

WARNING ! just a touch of bragging to remind myself it's possible, "cause you never know when you're walking around lucky and not even realize it"!

My best hit: Went to Churchill Downs June 12th 1999 with $60 in my pocket just to make a quick hundred, hit my first two races and was up $200, was on my way to leave when that line kept popping in my head. Looked at our tip sheet we were making then and decided to try one more. Spent $72 on the super, $2 across first choice, $2 across second choice, $2 ex box on top three.

return:
w-p-s $35.20 / $15.40 / $10.40
w-p-s X / $11.40 / $7.40
exacta $366.40
super $20,745.70

Bougt lots of budweiser that night. Oh well, maybe today.