Help from SO CAL people

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

doochuk

Forum Member
May 17, 2000
Oregon
going to be in LA Friday July 2nd thru Weds the 7th--suggestions on must do or see things or places--it will be me and the wife along with our 16 yr old son--staying in Costa Mesa

freelancc

Forum Member
Aug 18, 2002
Nevada
a night game at Dodger stadium is a good family event. I believe July 6th they have a 7pm start time.

otherwise a drive up the coast hiway past Topanga Canyon and Malibu will offer a scenic drive with many nice restaurants along the beach.:0074

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
I no longer live in CA, but I think it would be worthwhile to see Hollywood. Some good shopping there and it's cool to see the Walk of Fame and the Mann's Chinese Theater. I would make sure you go during the day though; the freaks come out at night in that area. :scared

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mjolnir

Forum Member
May 15, 2003
S. CAL.
going to be in LA Friday July 2nd thru Weds the 7th--suggestions on must do or see things or places--it will be me and the wife along with our 16 yr old son--staying in Costa Mesa

Lived here since 1980, it kinda depends on what your family is into. If your into the beaches, I would hang around the orange county beaches such as Huntington and Laguna or you can go to a freakshow like Venice, but do so during the day time, it can be a very rough area, lots of crime.

Hollywood blvd can be a trip near Manns chinese theater.

If your into baseball, I would go to see the Angels, its closer to Costa Mesa and there are a lot less incidents with scumbags than the Dodger games. If your going to the dodger game, spend some money and sit close. the cheap seats are notorious for trouble. It might not be right next to you, but it is there. Dodger games are a lot different than they were 20+ yrs ago.

any questions feel free to ask.

gl and enjoy. :toast:

Mjolnir

Forum Member
May 15, 2003
S. CAL.
a night game at Dodger stadium is a good family event. I believe July 6th they have a 7pm start time.

otherwise a drive up the coast hiway past Topanga Canyon and Malibu will offer a scenic drive with many nice restaurants along the beach.:0074

I agree it can be a good family event, just spend some bucks and get good seats, sorry I didnt see your post before I responded. I meant no disrespect.
:toast:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mjolnir

Forum Member
May 15, 2003
S. CAL.
thank you all--is going to Catalina worth the time?

The ride to Catalina can be rough, choppy waters, if you go and people get sea sick, stay towards the back of the boat, there is less movement. Not really a whole lot to see though, i would check out websites to see if u think its worth it.

Fireworks, no clue, but i bet if u google, u can find some place to go, it will be very crowded usually.
Disneyland always has fireworks, I'm betting they have an even bigger show July 4th, but its probably the most crowded day of the year. If you go, be sure to go to visitor relations in the front and tell them you had knee surgery or something and they will give you a pass to go to the front of the lines. that pass gets u 6 people in your group to go to the front. You basicly go to the exits of any ride and it takes u to the front. u don't need a doctors note or anything like that.
gl

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ferdville

Forum Member
Dec 24, 1999
So Cal
Since you are in Costa Mesa I would head south on the coast. Huntington Beach is right down the hill and so is Newport and those are two good choices for just looking around. Laguna is a place unto itself - very artsy and beautiful beaches. Lots of places to eat in all price ranges. If you have the time, taking a ride to San Diego will be great. A pretty drive and San Diego is one of the best spots in California. If you want Sea World or the Zoo you have them both. The downtown area is also interesting.

Disneyland will be packed but it always is. Check the fireworks in the beach areas. They used to have shows from barges off shore in Huntington and Long Beach - don't know for sure if they still do. If you drive to Pasadena the Rose Bowl has one of the best fireworks shows - but it is crowded.

Probably too much to do in too little time so I would suggest you do some research on yor own. Baseball game would be fine. Believe it or not the lower view level at Angel Stadium provides excellent seating at reasonable prices. If you are between home and first or home and second you have a nice view. Contact a ticket broker (714tickets, something like that) and tell them what you want.

Depends on you but Catalina isn't all that to So Cal people who have been there. Youo can take a fast boat over there in aboout a half hour. Once you get there they have a glass bottom boat, submarine and boats that go to the other side of the island. I think the last one is best. Other than that not much beach area or things to see. There are a few nice restaurants. They also have the funkiest miniature golf course I have ever seen.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Lumi

LOKI
Forum Member
Aug 30, 2002
In the shadows
Angels have a 5:15 start vs KC ESPN game and will have a fireworks show. If you get a 3rd base side seat, club level and above you can see Disneylands FW Show Also.

Fun stuff to do up PCH from San Clemente Pier up to Huntington Beach Pier. The Newport Balboa Area is usually packed

SoCalYo

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2004
San Diego
If you are going to be in Costa Mesa you have to make your way south to San Diego. It's about a 1.5 hour drive. San Diego Zoo ( second to none), Sea World, La Jolla Coves, Sea Port Village, Gaslamp Quarter, Tijuana:00x26 :kiss: :brows: