Help with Electrical Outlet

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
I just got my first home & am in need of a little help.

I currently have several outlets controlled by a light switch (you know the top outlet works when the switch is on), well, I want to take the outlet Im using for the TV off the light switch.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Mags

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2000
I've got a buddy of mine that does side jobs for cash...probably wouldn't charge you much.. let me know tomorrow..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Red Raider

Forum Member
Nov 27, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Usually on outlets controlled by a switch, only one of the 2 plugs is controlled by the switch, the other is always hot. Also typically the outlets controlled by the switch are installed upside down, so you know which one are controlled.

Since one of the plugs is always hot, and the other is controlled by the switch, there will be 2 hot wires, a separate one to each plug.

***Verify that both plugs on the outlet are controlled be a single breaker 99% sure that they will be*******

After determining which plug is switched and which one isn't, you'll know which hot wire you want to use. (disconnect and tape the switched wire)

You'll need to buy a new outlet. In order to have seperate hots, the existing plug will have had a connecting brass brigde (between the top and bottom plugs on each side, by the screws) clipped off.

With the new plug, connect the hot, neutral and ground. You only need to connect each wire once and it will serve both the top and bottom. DONT FORGET THE GROUND!!

Assuming both plugs in the outlet were served by a single breaker (probably more than one outlet on a breaker) the total connected load on that breaker shouldn't have changed and you'll be OK.

Its really a lot easier than I make it sound.........good luck!

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
z2000 said:
Thanks redraider.

This should be a good project for tomorrow, since we are supposed to get 5-10 inches tonight.

Same thing I tell my wife, but she says she just never gets the full brunt of the storm :shrug:

Sounds like you have an older Modular home, light switches to the outlets and few celling lights.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
Actually it's a new construction. The old lady wouldnt let me change the electrical plans b/c it would have cost $200.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

z2000

Forum Member
Apr 7, 2000
Milwaukee,WI,USA
Great news!

I finished this on Saturday morning & the house is still standing!

This was pretty easy. Thanks for all the help.