Here's a write-up...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Here's how the Super Bowl shakes up:

Spread: NE -6.5

In a matchup which is supposed to be a matchup of 2 solid defenses, here's the truths about these two teams.

Carolina's Game-Plan:

As usual, and it will be no secret, Carolina will try to run the ball. *yawn* Using that stout offensive line to open up gaps for Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster, this will be the bread and butter if this team wants to sniff success. Believe it or not, this may work as the Patriots looked quite suspect with their run defense last week and with linebacker Tedy Bruschi possibly out, this team may be exposed. Or will they? Carolina's passing game has looked deceptively good, and Jake 'the new snake' Delhomme has gotten the job done for this Panther team. At some point throughout this game he will be forced to throw the ball once again. Is he up for the task? Carolina will clearly try to run the ball and calm down this young team early on and once the coverage is softened up, then they will throw the ball. No surprise. Defensively, Carolina's gameplan will be the same as it always is. Get pressure on the QB using the main four guys and drop a ton of guys into coverage. They will attack the vacancy left by Pro Bowl G Damien Woody and they will look to keep Brady out of rhythm, something that has not been done throughout most of this season. Seems like a lot of questions that need answering for this inexperienced team. Carolina has not truly been tested as they have played a porous offense, an extremely poorly coached team, and another very average team on their route to the Super Bowl. I'll give them credit, but this will definitely be a test for the kitty-cats, as they will claw for every yard.

New England's Game-Plan:

In all honesty, I don't see any possible way that New England will lose this game, here's why. Carolina's defense will look to get to the QB quickly using their excellent defensive line and New England will counter with short quick passes (as they usually do) to get guys like Julius Peppers tired and out of rhythm. Remember Dwight Freeney last week? He was not a factor at all. If Carolina's defensive line is out of the picture, then this game will get very ugly quickly. The Panthers secondary has always been questionable even with the emergence of Ricky Manning Jr. and getting physical with New Englands receiver's will not be an option if the Pats do four and five receiver sets. Expect that quite often. The Patriots are one of the poorest teams at running the ball in the 'hand it off' sense, but what they do in their passing game with their short quick passes is essentially like running the ball. The Panthers are going to have to bring blitzes, and it is here where the game will be won or lost. This most likely won't phase the Patriots since the Colts tried to blitz the hell out of them last week (as the game went on) and Belichick will most likely expect this. Defensively the Pats will be prepared. Fake Delhomme is not going to have an easy time of things this week. If the Pat's get ahead, or if the running game renders ineffective against the #4 ranked running defense in the league for any reason, the Pats will use him like a Paris Hilton Sex Tape. Even more so, and you can tell your friends you heard it hear first from your friend Vegas Dave, the Patriots will tear a page out of the John Fox defense of last week and play extremely physical with the Panther receivers. Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad are going to get peanut butter and jammed at the line of scrimmage everytime. Expect it. We'll see how stout this offensive line is when blitzes and fake blitzes are coming from every angle. If you noticed one thing about Fake and his 'nice passes', all of his deep passes are underthrown. It's a little secret that him and his receivers use (not sure why more people in the NFL don't do it). When the WR is running a route, Fake will underthrow the ball, and by the time the unaware DB's have located the ball, it will be too late for them to come back to it in time. The NE secondary will be very aware of this because Belichick has his team's ready. Patriots are a good road team, Patriots are more experienced, the Patriots are a TEAM. They get a 100% team effort every week and this week will be no different.

To steal a line from the typical addicted, cocky gambler: "Take the right side" and bet the Patriots minus the points.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
dave

dave

just a sidenote....in fairness,carolina`s d backs have improved....and play physical ball....and new england isn`t a "quick strike" offense.....i suspect that both teams will probably have to sustain long, play consuming drives to score...and the pats have had some problems scoring td`s recently..even against a porous defense like the colts.....

not saying the pats won`t win,just saying it won`t be as easy as many seem to think....as good as brady is,the new england offense isn`t a dominating offense....and they seemed to struggle in the red zone late in the season because they don`t run the ball real well..to many field goals....not balanced at all.....they have to work for their points...

carolina`s offense isn`t real balanced either.......

the defenses are far more impressive than the respective offenses....

doesn`t 38 look a little high to anyone else?

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Vegas Dave

Forum Member
Jul 23, 2002
Yeah, they definitely have improved but I think most of that 'improvement' is directed to Ricky Manning Jr. who had 3 picks last week. I mean let's be honest here, how many of us have heard the names Dante Wesley and Reggie Howard before (backup DB's)? Terry Fair is the other starting cornerback and he is as average as it gets. They have played well because when they get pressure only using the D-line, then they can double team practically every receiver.

If that doesn't happen and they have to bring blitzes then they leave themselves exposed. Carolina's pass defense was ranked 30th in the league this year, so any way you look at it it is the weak spot of the defense.

As I said before, I'll give them credit. They played very well last week but what I was eluding to earlier is how can they play physical with the Patriot receivers when they are lining in 4 and 5 receiver sets? The Pats will do that often in an attempt to expose the 'lesser known' DB's.

You could be right on the total as both teams usually use long scoring drives to suck up time.

giambi

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2003
Las Vegas,NV
definitely a good write up, but I know the secondary of the panthers have been a lil suspect ,but in all honesty who are the recievers on the patsies besides t. brown they are all taped together through the year becasue of injuries and didnt they just sign jj stokes before the colts game I think that the patsies head(QB) is good but the body (the recievers and RB's) arent that good I like this game because I think it will be a defensive struggle final score 6- 2 LOL just had to throw that in there:D

IntenseOperator

DeweyOxburger
Forum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
Good work as usual Vegas Dave.

I've read your write-ups elsewhere on the net;) and they have always been even keeled:D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg