Heyward's One-a-Day, 11/18

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Heyward

Forum Member
May 12, 2002
NC
Push last night so starting over today with:

Hofstra +4.5

If you just looked at Hofstra's record from last year (8-21), this looks like a terrible team. But if you look past the numbers, you'll see a lot of factors which contributed to that terrible season last year. Two starters were suspended for the first 14 games of the season, then were stuck back into the lineup for the second half. Forward Danny Walker was out all season with an inury, and, in fact, I believe Hofstra players missed over 100 games last year due to injury/suspension, so they never had the whole team available for practices or games. This year, they lose their top scorer to graduation, but the other 4 starters plus Walker are back, healthy and drug-free as far as I can tell. One advantage to all the injuries last year is that Hofstra has 5 other players returning who saw game action last year, in addition to the 5 starters above. They also have some solid freshmen coming in this year as well. Tons of players for the coach to work with this year.

Marist had a mediocre season last year, and lost 3 starters, including their top two scorers, to graduation. Young and Ellerbee had solid seasons as starters, and there are 3 reserves from last year who played decent minutes, but after that, everybody else is new and unproven. Every substitution going into the game tonight will be playing his first for this team, and I think they will struggle with chemistry whenever any of the starters takes a break.

I think Hofstra has a deeper, more experienced team, with better players/athletes, so I'll gladly take the points. Good luck.

Heyward

Forum Member
May 12, 2002
NC
1-0

Hofstra let them hang around with some crappy free throw shooting, but really turned it on at the end. Hopefully, they will continue to be undervalued for a little while based on last year's disaster. Hope everyone else had a good night. Good night.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
nice job.That was my one big fear.Marist shoots great FT's and Hofstra is terrible.Hofstra will lose a cover over the FT line.But tonite they hung on. Good job,Heywood
Marist has some talent.The big boys inside will help them once the MAAC starts

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
solid play. im always willing to coat-tail someone who presents a game thoroughly the way you did. nice winner. thanks for the post.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg