Heyward's One-a-Day. 11/20

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Heyward

Forum Member
May 12, 2002
NC
YTD: 1-1

Wow, Minnesota just could not get a shot to fall last night. I really don't feel like I capped the game that poorly, and if they played that game 10 times, I think Minnesota would probably cover 7 times, they just had a bad shooting night. Part of the problem seemed to be that everyone was just passing the ball to Humphries and then standing around watching him. When he went out with about 11 minutes left, the rest of the guys got involved and knocked the lead down to 4 points with 6 or 7 minutes left but couldn't hang on. I've also made myself a note about Minnesota's defense, because it seemed like Utah got a high-percentage shot or free throws almost every time down the court. Still, Gophers would have covered if they had shot a percentage closer to their average.

Tonight: Hofstra +17

I won my first game on Hofstra the other night and coming back again tonight. I'm not going to repeat all of the info you can find in Box's or superbook's threads because those guys have already covered all of the important information about this game, and I agree with them. One of the big things I always look for, in addition to the stats, is whether there are reasons that one team could be overvalued or undervalued in the lines, and whether or not those reasons actually justify the value given. In this case, it goes both ways, which is great for me. Georgia Tech is overvalued after pasting Lafayette the other night, but I don't htink most casual bettors are taking that performance for what it is, a team with some very talented players taking advantage of a team that was without a huge portion of their team because of the suspensions. If you just look at the final score, Georgia Tech looks like a championship contender, but they still have some real problems up front with Bosh & Nelson leaving and Tarver's injury. UL-Lafayette's backup center really outplayed stiff Luke Schenscher at both ends of the court, and that is not a good sign of things to come this season (if Southall had been eligible, Luke may not have survived the game).

As for Hofstra, I believe they are still being undervalued because of the disasterous season they went through last year. Again, looking at the casual bettors, I can't imagine they paid any attention to their victory over Marist as 5 point underdogs - they were too busy high-fiving each other over Georgia Tech. If they can improve their free throw shooting just a little bit, I really don't see them getting blown out tonight. Nine or ten points, maybe. But 17, I just don't see it.

P.S. Dude, what is the deal with that Cro-Magnon eyebrow ridge on Charlie Villanueva? Did anybody else see that? For those of you old enough to remember the Incredible Hulk series with Bill Bixby, it's like right after Mr. McGee pisses off David (or Bruce?) Banner and the first change on the way to Ferrigno is just Bixby with the white contact lenses and the caveman forehead. Except that on the TV show, it's makeup and special effects. On Villanueva, it's just naturally like that. Creepy. :eek: