Hmm Texans +13...need advice

Houston

Forum Member
Dec 16, 2000
Houston
OK so I am pumped up and biased after watching my boys whip up on plastic man's group of jokers from Dallas on Sunday night. But now what?

Are the Texans in for a let-down game after winning their biggest game of the year? Is going on the road going to turn into the 34-0 route people expected in their first game? Or might they actually be good? At least good enough for +13 against the Chargers?

TCSN

Forum Member
Apr 5, 2002
At first glance it looks tempting to take the points but some things to consider.

The Texans were very conservative with their play calling choosing to win the game on the ground & with their defense. They have the makings of an offense that will depend on the run.

The problem is the Chargers look to have a solid run defense as they shut down one of the best backs in the league last week holding him to only 10 yards on 9 carries & holding the Bengals to 36 yards rushing overall.

Houston

Forum Member
Dec 16, 2000
Houston
Well you could really say they won it with their defense and their special teams. Their running game was pretty pathetic and Carr had no time to throw but I guess what do you expect with 3 starters from their off. line out.

I guess the real question is how good is their defense? Good enough to keep the Chargers around 24 points and hope the offense can come up with enough big plays to keep it close?

Stewy

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Kansas City, Missouri
Chargers

Chargers

IF you think the Texans linebacking core is good wait till you get a look at San Diego with Donnie Edwards and Junior Seau. That just isn't fair having those two running around with a great defensive coach like Marty Shottenheimer. Look for the Chargers to have a + 3 turnover ratio which would be par for a Schottenheimer team against a rookie quarterback.
Marty won't get cute with the Texans, he will play defense and field position, kill them in the Turnover game, run the ball straight down their throats (Chargers have the north south running game too attack a 3-4 scheme) and by the 4th quarter the Chargers will more then likely break the game wide open against a tired worn down defense. Keep in mind that Martys is my favorite coach ever and I love his philosophy which is a proven winner.

If the game is close at half time and the Chargers are dominating time of possession I will lay a wager on the Chargers in the second half to break the game wide open.

P.S. Just thought I would give you my view of the game being a die hard AFC west watcher.

Houston

Forum Member
Dec 16, 2000
Houston
Thats for the insite Stewy. I went ahead and put 1 unit on the +13 (had to buy a .5 already) and a "what the hell" half unit on Houston +650! Hehe... Figure it'll be icing on the cake if they cover and make me feel a little more miserable if they get blown out...nothin like having football here again!!! (without Bud Adams to boot)

BTW, a good friend at work has Chief season tickets. He flies back for the games. We work for Continental airlines so flying there isnt a big problem and sometimes I go with him when he has an extra seat. You folks know how to do tailgating right! It is freaking awesome. I hope to bring some of that to Texan games now that we can tailgate. We didn't used to be able to when the Oilers were here.

Bet on MyBookie