Home Warranties - anyone

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
So like several others, I have had a couple things that I have had to replace or call someone out to look at it/fix. Does anyone have a home warranty, if so with who, how does it work, and how much

TIA

saint

Go Heels
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
Balls Deep
All I know is that when we sold our house last summer we agreed to pay for one for the buyers and it was 450$

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
I can't imagine that buying a home owners warranty is worth a shit.

Why do they sell a home owners warranty?

To make money.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Jaxx

Go Pokes!
Forum Member
Jan 5, 2003
FL
My daughter just bought a little house(with Dads help of course) and it came with a 1 year warranty from Old republic the seller paid for. Moved in and the AC not working properly. Called them service tech out the next day and fixed the next. Bad condensor. Saved my daughter 400 dollars at least. Worth it I would say. Warranty cost $399.

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
I can't imagine that buying a home owners warranty is worth a shit.

Why do they sell a home owners warranty?

To make money.

Jack it is like having auto insurance. If you have a problem you call the insurance company and pay a flat rate deductible.

Of course there are bad companies just like in any insurance, a lot of people that rent houses/apartments probably have it to cover tennants etc

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
I've never seen one not associated with a home sale/purchace, but I guess others exist? I always thought they were supposed to be a selling point for the seller; something to make the buyer feel better and safer about thier purchase. :shrug:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Jack it is like having auto insurance. If you have a problem you call the insurance company and pay a flat rate deductible.

Of course there are bad companies just like in any insurance, a lot of people that rent houses/apartments probably have it to cover tennants etc
Good luck getting them to pay. Their job is to NOT pay and they WILL find an excuse NOT to pay. For example; 'pre-existing conditions' are not covered.

I was always told they are ripoffs, like extended warranties, and I'll never get one.

Good luck if you do.

Now, getting a warranty when you buy a home, is a different story, but in a home you already live in. I don't think so. JMO.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
I've never seen one not associated with a home sale/purchace, but I guess others exist? I always thought they were supposed to be a selling point for the seller; something to make the buyer feel better and safer about thier purchase. :shrug:
That's what I'm saying.

Like extended car warranties offered after you've already owned your vehicle and offered by company's other than the manufacturer. :sadwave:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
So like several others, I have had a couple things that I have had to replace or call someone out to look at it/fix. Does anyone have a home warranty, if so with who, how does it work, and how much

TIA

bsu....

i am a big believer in home warranties & have them on all of my houses for years. imo the key is to have them only on big ticket items....for example when hot water heaters broke beyond repair in 2 of my places, they were replaced with brand new heaters & all that was paid was the $60 deductible fee....btw the company that i use is american home shield & have been with them for about 6-7 years....

let me know if you need any other info....

Last edited:

Phenom

STRONG.
Forum Member
May 24, 2001
The Upstate
I had one when we bought our current house that the Sellers paid for, through American Home Shield, we had a plumber come out one time, paid deductible, probably would have the same amount just to have the guy come out ourselves, then a month ago I got a notice of a Class Action Lawsuit against them for failure to pay claims, basically if you had a denial in the last 3-4 years they would review it to see if it should have been paid. I keep getting letters from them to resign up for $500 a year, :142smilie .

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
I had one when we bought our current house that the Sellers paid for, through American Home Shield, we had a plumber come out one time, paid deductible, probably would have the same amount just to have the guy come out ourselves, then a month ago I got a notice of a Class Action Lawsuit against them for failure to pay claims, basically if you had a denial in the last 3-4 years they would review it to see if it should have been paid. I keep getting letters from them to resign up for $500 a year, :142smilie .

i pay $314 a yr. on my rentals & $424 on my primary residence because it covers my pool & spa equipment....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Jaxx

Go Pokes!
Forum Member
Jan 5, 2003
FL
bsu....

i am a big believer in home warranties & have them on all of my houses for years. imo the key is to have them only on big ticket items....for example when hot water heaters broke beyond repair in 2 of my places, they were replaced with brand new heaters & all that was paid was the $60deductible fee....btw the company that i use is american home shield & have been with them for about 6-7 years....

let me know if you need any other info....

Exactly. My daughters deductible was 55. Saved her alot of money.

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
that is what I was going to really use it for, water heater, furnace , ac etc

Agent, FYI, for you I do fix most things around the house except for the big items. I am sure your the handyman and all, probably run around with overall's and a hammer just looking to fix stuff