how good is horry? really...?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

leftywright

Forum Member
Feb 3, 2005
A debate came up during the game about how good Horry deserves credit for... in short... is Robert Horry a future hall of famer? The majority seemed to think that he will be, while one said he'll be lucky to be on the ballot! what do you think?

Reggie?

Rodman?

Sun Tzu

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Houston, Texas
He has hit alot of big shots, possibly more than anyone in the history of the league. But if you look at who is in the HOF, and what figuratively must be the criteria, he isnt going to go. I still remember being pissed when the Rockets drafted him......oops!

Jalen45

sikwitit!
Forum Member
Jan 13, 2003
in the northeast
did he come out in 92? with shaq, laetner, mourning and that crew?

if he did, hes pretty damn old. either way, NO, he doesnt deserve the hall.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

pt1gard

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 7, 2002
seattle
he has no chance of being in HOF, they didnt put Dusty Rhodes in Cooperstown or Gene Tenace ... Meaning, its the reg season that gets U there AND playoffs, but is he a true winner ... well, everyone on this board "almost" knows it

TouchdownJesus

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2004
North Carolina
Honestly, I don't know what it takes to make the hall of fame...and I really don't care. I don't give a shit about the hall of fame. Too many stats and numbers.
Horry is a role player who always steps up. He does the intangibles, the little things. Hustle stats, consistency.
And CLUTCH. Unbelievable clutch. Not only does he want the ball at the end....he somehow finds himself in the right place at the right time every time....and he comes through almost every single time.
I think he is a GREAT player. The guy knows how to play basketball and he comes through every time. What more can you say.
I just don't understand how teams keep letting him go. He's a champion and will get his 6th ring in a few days.

AU2001

under par
Forum Member
Dec 3, 2004
Birmingham AL
6 rings? YES

HOF? no, sorry, but he will be content with Finals 3 point record that will be tough to break and 2 hands worth of rings...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MAXSHARP

Hustler
Forum Member
Jun 29, 2004
NYC/FLA
Don't think he will make the Hall but will go down as one of the clutchest post season players ever....I would rather be Robert Horry with 6 rings and no Hall then Karl Malone a sure HOF with no rings....

Hoops

Forum Member
Aug 10, 1999
No HOF, but one of the great role/team players of all-time. Not a guy who could/can improve a bad team, but is a perfect compliment for a good to great team. Unselfish, picks his spots, plays defense, always has the 'team' in mind when he's on the court.

Amazing performance he put on last night. Possibly the greatest fourth quarter and/or OT combo from a non-star player in postseason history.

Blackman

Winghead
Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
New Jersey
Spin off of this question, heard it on the radio today:

If you could choose an NBA career for yourself, would you rather be Robert Horry with 6 rings, or a Charles Barkley/Karl Malone/Patrick Ewing type player (Hall of Famer with no titles)?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

pt1gard

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 7, 2002
seattle
tossing out the salary (thinking most people would take the $$ first), its a no brainer to me, blackman

id take the rings

i just appreciated winning and excellence too much to ever be swayed by the dollar

as you guys all know, ur preaching to choir to this man on Horry, hes been on of my fave players forever, underrated and an all around contributor in every area, only a true basketball moron couldnt see that.

Last edited:

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
agree with hoops. very good player, but he has no ability to improve a bad team - he did nothing in phoenix. he has hustle,etc. is a very good spot up shooter. if you make him move when he has the ball far less effective on offensive. he is a perfect fit for a team with a star or two. ultimate role player.

moe777

Forum Member
Oct 8, 2003
east coast
6 rings ,and was big in all of them.isnt hof skill wise,but it wouldnt be an injustice either if he gets in.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Coug LJ

Forum Member
May 16, 2005
Robert Horry won't get into the Hall of Fame, but he has had an absolutely unique career, not only in basketball, but all of sports. I was talking to a friend about how his shot against Sacramento might have been the biggest playoff shot of all time ...that was until last night!

In Houston, Robert Horry was more of a Scottie Pippen type player. He could guard multiple positions and bring the ball up court and finish -( that dunk wasn't too bad, either.)

I don't ever remember a guy coming off the bench and effecting a big game like Horry did last night. I am not going overboard, he's not Jordan, but the guy has had a truckload of huge shots. The Lakers don't win a Championship if he doesn't hit that shot against the Kings. And the Spurs would have been against the wall if he doesn't come through last night.

What made last night more impressive is he made a number of huge shots, not just one.

Detroit outplayed San Antonio last night, but Horry saved their bacon. I don't like the Piston's chances, even though they have played fantastic the last three games. They are due to level off and San Antonio is due to play better and, of course, it's in San Antonio.

TouchdownJesus

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2004
North Carolina
I remember his last year with the Lakers. He literally shot about 5% from 3's in the playoffs, and I think he missed everyone he took against the Spurs in the Western Finals. He ended up with a game winning shot attempt that would have probably led to the Lakers winning it all yet again.
Damn thing went halfway down and rimmed out. Not only did he step up and take the shot after all those misses, but he didn't choke or airball or anything. Just rimmed out.
Thats really the only time I've seen him not come through and it was so close.
He is a very unique player.

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
where was big shat tonight? he is a weak defender, he cannot move with the ball, and he was non existent tonight. is he a clutch player- yes. HOF - not even close.

Blackman

Winghead
Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
New Jersey
ELVIS said:
where was big shat tonight? he is a weak defender, he cannot move with the ball, and he was non existent tonight. is he a clutch player- yes. HOF - not even close.

Exactly why he won't be an MVP --- he's just not the guy that gets blame or people look to on after a loss, because he just isn't on that level.

When the game is on the line he's as good as it gets, but for the thousands of other instances throughout his career he's an average to above average player.