I got a Job offer, need advice on best way to counter

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

toastonastick

Forum Member
Nov 25, 2003
Atlanta
Thanks for the help in the other thread! I figured I would throw this one out there.

So I got an offer from a great company and great position. Outside sales account executive and it looks very promising. Nice base and decent commission structure and good benefits etc... My question is that I will be taking a little bit of a hit while I build my sales and customer base. I'm thinking of asking for a supplement for the first 4 months while I transition my customers and garner sales. I have a ton of existing customers and am pretty sure a good bit will come with me.

Is this asking a bit much? How would be the best way to ask or counter?

The total dollar amount that I would be asking for would be around 10% of the base salary. And of course once it was over it would be done not a yearly thing.

any opinions

hedman

Paid Poster
Forum Member
Dec 8, 2004
SouthDakota
Thanks for the help in the other thread! I figured I would throw this one out there.

So I got an offer from a great company and great position. Outside sales account executive and it looks very promising. Nice base and decent commission structure and good benefits etc... My question is that I will be taking a little bit of a hit while I build my sales and customer base. I'm thinking of asking for a supplement for the first 4 months while I transition my customers and garner sales. I have a ton of existing customers and am pretty sure a good bit will come with me.

Is this asking a bit much? How would be the best way to ask or counter?

The total dollar amount that I would be asking for would be around 10% of the base salary. And of course once it was over it would be done not a yearly thing.

any opinions

From perspective as Owner, if you can show me how we both will benefit, example you bringing over your existing book, you are on much stronger grounds then I made more at my last job, so I need a supplement.

Ask for the "supplement" in terms or percentages from the customers you transition. A higher commission or a One Time Bonus. IF the numbers when calculated seem to high of a percentage or bonus, know that the future employer will garner the same information.

Good luck.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
it depends on how long you have been out of work.

3-6 mths, I keep my mouth shut and take the job.

Money will come when you prove you are bringing in past customers. Then approach.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PocketAces

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 30, 2003
WI
it depends on how long you have been out of work.

3-6 mths, I keep my mouth shut and take the job.

Money will come when you prove you are bringing in past customers. Then approach.

So approach for a raise after being there three months? I disagree. Now is the time to negotiate.

I'd ask for a larger base and more vacation (or another benefit). They'll counter with the short term increase during your ramp up period. And that is what you wanted all along.

Or they may actually give you the higher base....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

The Joker

Registered
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2008
Tennessee
www.madjacksports.com
So approach for a raise after being there three months? I disagree. Now is the time to negotiate.

I'd ask for a larger base and more vacation (or another benefit). They'll counter with the short term increase during your ramp up period. And that is what you wanted all along.

Or they may actually give you the higher base....

Not in a sales job. If I was SM, I would say no or move on to another candidate.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
It sounds like you're asking for an advance already.

If I was doing the hiring :sadwave:

Tell them you don't even want a base, you don't need a base, you want paid for your production. Negotiate for a higher commission rate. :0008

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Last post on this subject

Last post on this subject

As I remember, Toast went ahead and said in his last post he currently had a job, but after helping a friend get a job at the company he worked at he thought he was under compensated.

I agree with a lot of what Hedman had to say in that he would have to convince the decision maker how this would be a win-win situation for both himself and the company. If the employer is shown this, he is more likely to negotiate and make the hire. For example, you can do this by showing "anonymous accounts" on a spreadsheet over a one year period and amount of total sales, be sure to include total number of accounts and sales amounts but I would keep my clients names confidential. It wouldn't hurt if you had multiple offers in this situation, in this situation some will negotiate but some will pass and move on, this never hurts though. Either way, it's time to negotiate and be humble and respectful when doing so. Also, let the employer know how much you would like to work for them.

kneifl

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

toastonastick

Forum Member
Nov 25, 2003
Atlanta
I sent the counter offer at 9 got the reply at 9:15 and they will be paying me the supplement. :0074

Now I have to put in my resignation at my current employer

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
I sent the counter offer at 9 got the reply at 9:15 and they will be paying me the supplement. :0074

Now I have to put in my resignation at my current employer
:toast:

toastonastick

Forum Member
Nov 25, 2003
Atlanta
I will be giving my two weeks on Friday. I'm sure I will be told to go on my merry way as I'm in sales and it won't be helping much to stick around. Just giving them two weeks to be PC more than anything.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PocketAces

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 30, 2003
WI
Congrats.

I've been 100% commission my whole career. It has its positives and negatives for sure.

For instance, I haven't had paid vacation in almost 15 years. But I don't have to punch a clock either...